Alien Virginity

Started by Newsfop, Feb 28, 2007, 07:32:13 PM

Author
Alien Virginity (Read 5,025 times)

Dachande

Dachande

I think i first saw it.....when i was about 5 or 6. ITV was doing the thing where they show 1 to three every friday...axtually i think that was when i was about 12.....but i remember seing it when i was really young. However, i didnt have any nightmares, which is probably why im so desensitized to violence nowadays.

Now i think of it, i probably saw them at my Aunt and Uncles, because they're huge sci-fi/action fans. So i think i saw Aliens first. They also have these cool T2 and Power Loader figures that i thought were tehy sex1 As well as the fact i played Alien 3 on my Game Boy.

Yea i know i was young as i recognised the Bull Alien toy that my cousin had... i wanted to know what film it was in v__v

Wolfy

Wolfy

However, i didnt have any nightmares, which is probably why im so desensitized to violence nowadays.

I watched horror films from age of 3/4, and I think I share pretty much the same thing lol

Dachande

Dachande

Heh, im pretyt sure i'd seen the first two Terminator films, Pred 1 and 2, and all the Alien films by the time i was 8, as well as most of Arnies other films too XD

But i think i was just able to grasp that these things werent real..... now Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween.....they screwed with my head for like a week.,,,and it got slightly worse when me house got burgled.....but now im just twisted in the head XD

Mr. Weyland

Mr. Weyland

I had that, I was spoon feed action films like Terminator and Rambo when i was about 5 and so on, I think I saw most of Van Damme, Arnie and Stallone films when I was a kid  :P

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

is it just me or was Alien kinda slow for a sci-fi horror film ?

SM

SM

By todays standards of low attention spans, yes.

But it's more immersive than a lot of the disposable crap these days.  It's 45 minutes before anything really happens, but that 45 minutes is used perfectly to establish the characters, their relatioships, their environment, and tension.  A pity Anderson didn't use his supposed slow build up to do the same in AvP.

But if you think Alien is slow - Aliens is technically slower.  It's just over an hour into the film before the hive ambush begins.  However as Aliens doesn't really let up for the last 45 minutes you don't notice the pace of the first half.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

perhaps with knowledge of the 1st movie, the buildup in aliens was far more intresting IMO, seeing Ripley interact in the future, rebuild her life, and once again returning to the planet( it could be I like Cameron's pacing then Scott's). But Aliens was more of an action film then focus soley on horror. I usually compare and contrast Alien with the The Thing, be it that it has a faster build-up of 30 minutes before we first see the creature in action, it kept my attention on the screen. or maybe it I'm a little biased, since The Thing is one my favorite horror movies.

which makes me wonder, how well would Alien do in theaters today ?

back to topic, my first viewing was actually about 6 years ago, though sadly since viewing it on tv, I usually miss out on the middle of the movie due to timing. I actually got a chance to see the whole thing a couple times in 2004.

SM

SM

Quotewhich makes me wonder, how well would Alien do in theaters today ?

It wouldn't be the same film.  I reckon the studio would cut about 20 minutes from the opening so we get to the hugger faster.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

^betcha they would use a very attractive attractive actress to play a scantily clad Ripley.

has there been a rerelease of the alien films in theaters ?

SM

SM

The only widespread re-release to my knowledge was the Alien Directors Cut.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

do you know how well it was recieve ?

SM

SM

Going by Box Office Mojo is made just under $2 million (domestic) from a 347 theatre release.  By comparison AvP was released in 10 times that many theatres.  The DC made almost another $3 million in foreign receipts.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

then it fare well, though I doubt it would have the impact today as it had in 1979.

SM

SM

It was unique for it's time, and would no doubt scare most punters seeing it for the first time.  But with the proliferation of blood and guts and violence in mainstream flicks these days it wouldn't have the same impact.

SiL

SiL

What I dislike about Aliens' pace is its start-stop nature. We wait an hour, get a scene. We wait half an hour, we get a scene. We wait, we get, we wait, ad infinitum.

Once the shit hits the fan in Alien, it moves. Stuff happens. People die, characterization properly kicks in, tension just keeps mounting. The whole of Alien's last hour is much fuller than Aliens', IMO.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed