Like tears in Rain - SinglePlayer Map (WIP)

Started by Le Celticant, Mar 29, 2016, 11:47:39 PM

Author
Like tears in Rain - SinglePlayer Map (WIP) (Read 30,101 times)

Randomizer

Take your time. Building the map was just the easy part.

So it will all take place on a space station which acts as a prison? Saying "space" because you mentioned an escape module.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

I'm probably taking a bit too much my time though.
I always find ways to add MORE details here and there.
I think the BSP is going to reach its limit with the amount of partitioned polygons.
Sometimes I'm afraid that I'll never finish it.
When I think about it, some .ed I've done are 7 years old.

Good time in mind when I was thinking making the 4 Alien films into a unique campaign.
I had re-done both Hadley's Hope and the Nostromo already.
Good thing Hadley's was partially kept, bad thing the nostromo vanished.
That was the topic back then:
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=34149.0
The Command Center and med lab actually made it into another of my map (lc_depot).
But it's very generic and rather incomplete here.

I'm thinking of splitting it into two part actually.
One on the planet, one aboard a space station.
You'll notice the order I mentioned, the beginning is on a planet.
But deep down the cave's abyss you definitely need an escape module  :D

Hey, it's me again, I apologize for double posting but I need some help:

*Is there a possibility on patrol nodes to make the AI arriving at a Patrol Node choose randomly between two Patrol node or more ?

*Where is the "electricity" particle effects I can see for example when I'm using the Hacking tool ? I tried to take a look at DebrisSpawner but was unsuccessful at finding it.

Le Celticant

Hello,

I've tried to push a little harder on DEdit recently.
It's starting to pay off.
I was unsatisfied of the way the Command Center was with the environment.
There are already too many caves and sub-terrain complexe that I wanted the center of the single player map to be wide open.
There are still progress to do on the landscape but I'm really glad the Detail 0 / Detail 1 is working marvelously because what I did looked like a carefully well defined mess.
Yet there are no leaks and all within the command center is invisible from the outside and vice versa.

It was a hard day, I'm signing off

x-M-x

Beautiful.

Awesome design better be LOTS OF RAIN and blade runner style music.

Randomizer

Blade Runner-esque music inside, but let's not forget that this is a base/colony in the middle of nowhere. Dunno, have the music play inside at a quieter pace or at certain moments and rain taking most of the soundscape.

Really loving it, keep up the good work ! You've made too much progress to give it up !

Le Celticant

I always thought the original Smugglership-nostromo-ish thing lacked a cockpit.
I gave it one:

Still plenty of details to fill a bit the thing but it turned okay I guess.

PS: To those wondering, the map .ed will also be released, you may watch, rip, re-use transform anything you wish.

x-M-x

A-W-E-S-O-M-E

;D

Randomizer

Le Celticant

Almost done with the Nostromo:

Big thanks to Windebieste from which I've taken some of its prefabs of the Nostromo !  :-*
I also took some from Mikey'sHope (the chair) which I really loved, thanks to the creator !

I won't post much picture from now.
I'm going to get quite for a few week or more.
I just got an amazing news: a friend mapper of mine with who I've already work with on DEdit is back (he helped me on a few map especially lc_weyland-yutani station and lc_oppCeltic-Temple.) and we're developing together segment of the campaign.
It may have altered a bit the storyline but not by far.
Much work is still needed and the primary reason for the silence are:
1) Spoiler, I want to keep some mystery.
2) Scripting, basically that's where it's going to be tricky and well... there's not much to show beside "msg AIAlienBradPitt (Active 1); msg AIAlienGeorgeClooney (trg Player);"
3) Because I have other projects to work on too and I can't jump every day on both.

I'll come back here of course to share some occasionally but not as frequently.
I may need help too, for scripting, feedback and testing  ;)

windebieste

Looking good so far. 

You might want to refer to the vehicle as an 'M-Class' freighter, then you can call it what you like.  M-Class freighters, like the Nostromo and the Anisedora, have many observable differences but the Class designation applies to those types of vehicles. 

I guess it's much like how sailboats have different appearances and names but are still, well, identifiable as sailboats.

On the other hand, if you really want the Nostromo, you can lift it straight out of the DryDock.ed file if you want and use that.  I don't mind.  Have fun fitting it in your map, though. 

That f*cking thing is enormous.   :laugh:

-Windebieste.

Randomizer

Quote from: Le Celticant on Aug 19, 2016, 12:01:00 AM
Much work is still needed and the primary reason for the silence are:
1) Spoiler, I want to keep some mystery.
2) Scripting, basically that's where it's going to be tricky and well... there's not much to show beside "msg AIAlienBradPitt (Active 1); msg AIAlienGeorgeClooney (trg Player);"
3) Because I have other projects to work on too and I can't jump every day on both.

I'll come back here of course to share some occasionally but not as frequently.

Silence? You're givin' updates often enough which as a result makes me even more excited.

If you're extremely afraid of spoilers just show, don't tell. We'll understand.  ;D

Le Celticant

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 19, 2016, 12:24:01 AM
Looking good so far. 

You might want to refer to the vehicle as an 'M-Class' freighter, then you can call it what you like.  M-Class freighters, like the Nostromo and the Anisedora, have many observable differences but the Class designation applies to those types of vehicles. 

I guess it's much like how sailboats have different appearances and names but are still, well, identifiable as sailboats.

On the other hand, if you really want the Nostromo, you can lift it straight out of the DryDock.ed file if you want and use that.  I don't mind.  Have fun fitting it in your map, though. 

That f*cking thing is enormous.   :laugh:

-Windebieste.

Thanks for the advice !
Yeah not so sure about the Drydock Nostromo, I already had hard time fitting it here and I may even move it if I need to because it's starting to be crowded with polygons and with each updates on the map I see the fps count drop bit by bit.

It's definitely not the Nostromo and that wouldn't make sense since the thing blew up  :P
M-Class freighter it is so, we gonna have to find it a nice little cute name.

If anyone got ideas for a M-class freighter name, I'm really open to any suggestion !

Quote from: Randomizer on Aug 19, 2016, 07:46:35 AM
Silence? You're givin' updates often enough which as a result makes me even more excited.

If you're extremely afraid of spoilers just show, don't tell. We'll understand.  ;D

That is to be seen but I feel like I'm giving away a bit too much especially since most locations are actual Key Location.
I'd rather come back in September with a trailer than send each week a couple of screenshots
(But don't tell anyone I've said that  :-X )

x-M-x

Any Updates?

Le Celticant

Quote from: x-M-x on Aug 30, 2016, 12:16:49 PM
Any Updates?

Yup, It's called Vacations1.0.9.7.exe  :P

In the meantime if you find good name for spaceships (about 2 - 3) I'm listening ^^

x-M-x

Quote from: Le Celticant on Aug 30, 2016, 03:01:50 PM
Quote from: x-M-x on Aug 30, 2016, 12:16:49 PM
Any Updates?

Yup, It's called Vacations1.0.9.7.exe  :P

In the meantime if you find good name for spaceships (about 2 - 3) I'm listening ^^

Strange... I'm on 1.0.9.8 dude *Elite Edition*

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed