Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,643 times)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

It doesn't take much observation to know that you need a bigger weapon for a stronger adversary. In fact, I'd consider that pretty obvious.

We don't even know if the Space Jockeys knew much about the Alien, and they've been described as star gods.

FUZION PREDATOR

FUZION PREDATOR

Quote from: MadassAlex on Nov 01, 2010, 04:20:29 AM
It doesn't take much observation to know that you need a bigger weapon for a stronger adversary. In fact, I'd consider that pretty obvious.

We don't even know if the Space Jockeys knew much about the Alien, and they've been described as star gods.

The Preds know enought the xeno to have a vision mode especially for them, and in the deleat scenes SCAR shows  how much he knows the Alien anatomy (to lex) by making , a dead alien corpse "innner jawed" with a accruat dagger stab in his head.

EDIT: all preds weapons are not especially bigger (even if some of them are) :
AvP spears are toothpick compare to Pussyface's spear.
And the plasma caster can be charged and have highly adjustable power settings (don't need bigger one)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Despite that, AvP did feature different, distinct "calibers" of plasma caster; Scar's one seems to fire much larger blasts than previous iterations.

Good job on the vision mode thing. I didn't think of that. That doesn't prove that they have vast amounts of knowledge about the Aliens, though, just that they've got some.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: tonyzork on Nov 01, 2010, 03:10:19 AM
The fact that the predators in the AVP franchise (regardless of the medium) hunt xeno that THEY SET UP speaks volumes about their understanding of the creature.
No. It doesn't.

All it shows is that they know that if they shove the eggs somewhere there's life they'll get adult Aliens. They also know they have acid for blood and don't show up on infra-red.

Which isn't anything humans hadn't figured out after just two encounters with them.

QuoteOh and the xeno usually escape due to humans getting in the way and messing up the hunt.
Define "usually". Cos the only time I can think that actually happened was maybe AvP: War and the first AvP movie.

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Quote from: SiL on Nov 01, 2010, 09:00:47 PM
QuoteOh and the xeno usually escape due to humans getting in the way and messing up the hunt.
Define "usually". Cos the only time I can think that actually happened was maybe AvP: War and the first AvP movie.

I don't even think it's fair to consider the first AVP movie. The humans didn't really do anything the Predators didn't want them to do, aside from stealing one weapon in their arsenal. And even then, they didn't get a chance to use their plasmacasters until after Scar already had his back. Gill got ambushed, Celtic's fight was too close range. It doesn't matter anyway, because there is no way that a few teenage Predators being slightly delayed on getting their guns leads to an outbreak the magnitude of Requiem. The humans didn't really mess anything up.

FUZION PREDATOR

FUZION PREDATOR

Quote from: MadassAlex on Nov 01, 2010, 04:59:28 PM
Despite that, AvP did feature different, distinct "calibers" of plasma caster; Scar's one seems to fire much larger blasts than previous iterations.

Good job on the vision mode thing. I didn't think of that. That doesn't prove that they have vast amounts of knowledge about the Aliens, though, just that they've got some.

Yeah you're right. And i found this concept (the different calibers plasma caster) goofy , given how powerful can be a charged plasma shot (see the different blasting radius of Anytime's shots when shooting blindly at Arnie, or Noland getting completly vaporized.....)

The bigger wristblades and bigger blades (gill) where more convincing in the role of bigger/ nastier weapons because of aliens.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: MadassAlex on Nov 01, 2010, 04:59:28 PM

Ok good point. They may not know EVERYTHING about them. You would assume that if part of their culture has them capturing a live queen, then harvesting the eggs for the hunt they would have a level of understanding and knowledge. Similar to the amount of knowledge a dairy farmer would have about his cattle. Sure the farmer wouldn't know EVERYTHING about the animal, but he would know a shit load more than most. Thats the point I was trying to make. You cannot compare the humans from the aliens series to the predatos hunting aliens. Its not the same thing and not in the same league. If they didn't blow up the colony on LV-426 and another military unit went in will a full report from Hicks, I'm sure their weapons/tactics would have been a lot different. And so would have the outcome. But they didn't so we'll never know.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

You assume that Predator culture is built around the Alien, and that all clans fight and are aware of them.

Chances are that plenty of Predator clans either have no idea the Aliens exist, or know about them but don't fight them on a regular basis. Or ever.

We don't know enough about the Predators to begin with. That's the biggest whole -- to know that Predators know everything about the Alien, we have to know everything about the Predators and we don't. And the Alien's nature seems to lend itself to breaking established rules. I'd say there's some things we're literally incapable of understanding.

Ghostface

Ghostface

True but thats not the argument. The argument is whether the predators know more about xeno than humans, which they have proven to do.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

They know a little more than we do, which says a lot about the Alien if some clans are supposed to have been fighting them for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

Ghostface

Ghostface

No one is disputing the deadliness of the xeno. Hell thats why they are the ultimate prey. My argument has always been that predators should not be judged by the incompetence shown by humans in the alien films.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

The deadliness of the Alien isn't the issue here -- their incomprehensibility is.

Essentially, the Predators have had a long, long time to work out what makes them tick, but haven't. Either they don't care, or can't. Or both. That would be most in-character for the Predators, in my mind.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: MadassAlex on Nov 02, 2010, 11:51:20 AM
The deadliness of the Alien isn't the issue here -- their incomprehensibility is.

Essentially, the Predators have had a long, long time to work out what makes them tick, but haven't. Either they don't care, or can't. Or both. That would be most in-character for the Predators, in my mind.

This is an assumption.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Assumption with a lot of data. It's an old species. They were already advanced when we were nothing - that means they already went through some ages.

Ghostface

Ghostface

I meant assuming they dont know what makes a xeno tick is purely assumptive. Clearly they have been around longer than us and are more advanced.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed