Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,523 times)

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2015, 06:17:06 PM
Producer Paul Davis wanted the story Earth-bound. Thought it'd make things more scary.
That's what it was then. I guess the queen escaping wouldn't have as much drama as it would if the pyramid was not on Earth.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2015, 12:03:22 PM
I went into it trying not to be pissed off and managed to actually enjoy it.

Color me surprised!  :o

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I will still choose AvP:R over the first one any day of the week. The first film tries to be a competent film to some degree but it ends up boring me everytime.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 14, 2015, 11:36:39 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2015, 12:03:22 PM
I went into it trying not to be pissed off and managed to actually enjoy it.

Color me surprised!  :o

Funnily enough I hate disliking things. I always try and look for things to enjoy in something. The AvP films I have struggled with for some time but I was determined to go in with as wide a mind as I could manage.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 24, 2015, 02:12:54 PM
I will still choose AvP:R over the first one any day of the week. The first film tries to be a competent film to some degree but it ends up boring me everytime.

Agree.

The first film was superior in terms of the technical aspects of making a movie.  But the second felt more like what an AvsP film should be.  It was still WAY off the mark but got it closer then the first one in my opinion.

Also the first one bugs me no end because of the ridiculous back story.  The back story is what kills it for me.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

At least the first one had a story.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Agreed, the first one is a bad film, but I get the sense that they at least tried to make a movie.  The second, literally no effort was put into any of the ideas, designs, writing, concepts, cinematography, and would it have killed them to buy a light bulb once in a while?!

D. Compton Ambrose

D. Compton Ambrose

I liked them when I was a kid but now that I'm an adult I realize how painfully cheesy and overall bad they are.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Aug 25, 2015, 05:03:25 PM
Agreed, the first one is a bad film, but I get the sense that they at least tried to make a movie.  The second, literally no effort was put into any of the ideas, designs, writing, concepts, cinematography, and would it have killed them to buy a light bulb once in a while?!

They obviously tried but the ideas were just poor.  And the technical expertise wasn't as great as others.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

I watched AVP when i was 8 and AVPR when i was 9 and i HATED it(check the forum how did you get into AVP or something like that)

esz

esz

Just rewatched both movies (and Prometheus) after a long, long break. And that's what I think:

- both AVPs are better than Prometheus, which is just insultingly stupid. Prommy tries to be smart and fails. So. Hard. And worst of all, it's boring.

- AVP (the first one) is a decently made movie, but it falls apart when the Italian guy bites it. The woman is so boring that she just can't hold my interest. Besides, it gets too cheesy when she gets a spear and a shield. The movie ends for me when they kill Sebastian.

- AVP messes up the lore, but I don't care. For me, it's non-canonical and I can watch it without getting pissed of.

- AVPR I actually... really, really liked. It's decently written and acted, it has way better pacing than AVP, some cool scenes, and I love the cinematography - the shots are BEAUTIFUL. But yeah, gamma issues make it almost unwatchable.

- AVPR has the best predator from all the Predator movies. I hate the predators from AVP. Their faces look like some kid-friendly versions of predators from Happy Meals.

- the biggest flaw of those movies is that they are too afraid to be their own things. They're so full of references to previous movies that sometimes it's infuriating. Make your own goddamn movie instead of reusing assets from previous ones! I've already seen that, and it was done better!

- As for Prometheus... Screw this movie. It's just unbearable. "Don't all children want their parents dead?", asks David at one point, and Shaw's response is: "I didn't". If I were her, I'd say: "What the hell are you talking about, you stupid, stupid moron?". 0/10.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: esz on Dec 29, 2015, 05:52:01 AMAs for Prometheus... Screw this movie. It's just unbearable. "Don't all children want their parents dead?", asks David at one point, and Shaw's response is: "I didn't". If I were her, I'd say: "What the hell are you talking about, you stupid, stupid moron?". 0/10.
Yea, wow. You were doing fine right up till you wrote a line of dialog for the movie. :P

esz

esz

It's not a line of dialog, it's what I actually said to the screen when David said his line.:)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: esz on Dec 29, 2015, 07:47:50 AM
It's not a line of dialog, it's what I actually said to the screen when David said his line.:)
Oh so you were actually yelling at the movie. Well I cannot lie, I did do that a few times as well while watching Prometheus. It's still better than AVPr and AR though.

esz

esz

Well, not in my book, but I can understand why you like it more. It's certainly a better crafted movie, but for me it's just so annoying that it want to be smart, it wants to be deep, and in the end it's so moronic, so contradictory to itself, so lazily written.

I was seriously considering a possibility that at one point writers (or Scott) switched the names of Fifield and Millburn by mistake in the script and didn't notice. I mean the scene with the cobra thing. It's like it was supposed to play the other way: hippie-looking Millburn was supposed to smoke pot, and then pet the cobra, or maybe Fifield, being high, was supposed to do something that stupid, but they forgot who was who.

In the end, I prefer AVP movies because even though the screeplay is absolutely basic and it's nothing more than "people meet monsters, people die", it's tight. It's alright. It serves it purpose as a story for a B-movie. Prometheus poses to be a high concept, ambitious project, and doesn't see it went full retard.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed