Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,633,334 times)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

I wish they let stompy do some of the creepy stuff that got cut from Alien.  Like the crab walk for example.  This would have allowed him to stalk you silently.  Can you imagine what it would be like in a moment where you didn't pay attention to your tracker, to turn around and see that crawling towards you?  Then it tilts its head and stands to 8' tall before it makes the Alien sounds and takes you down?  That's what fear is made of.

Great shots..  Stompy was good...

426Buddy

426Buddy

The crab walk would have been amazing in game. I could imagine walking into a dark room and seeing the alien crab all out of a shadowy corner, i would freak lol.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: 420Buddy on Mar 14, 2016, 01:27:08 AM
The crab walk would have been amazing in game. I could imagine walking into a dark room and seeing the alien crab all out of a shadowy corner, i would freak lol.

I know right??

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 420Buddy on Mar 14, 2016, 01:27:08 AMThe crab walk would have been amazing in game. I could imagine walking into a dark room and seeing the alien crab all out of a shadowy corner, i would freak lol.

I've honestly never got the obsession with the crab walk. It was cut from Alien for a reason - it looked stupid. I can't see how that would somehow change because it's now in a video game.

Then again, maybe with Stompy's double-jointed leg design it might've looked a bit cooler and less daft.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Got that game is simply gorgeous. I will never get sick of seeing screencaps from that game!

Vermillion

Vermillion

Crab walk is kinda slow...the Alien is lightening fast...
It looked odd for it to do it first of all. 
It's look odd and dumb for even a human to do it. 

Though the box Alien in a shadowy corner would be scary as fahhhhqqqqqq.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I understand why it was cut too, it did look a lil goofy on camera with the suit. But the movement did have this creepy spidery quality to it that I liked. Anyway I think would have been scary animated in the game.

Also the Alien was anything but fast in the original movie, it seems very slow and deliberate in every shot. The creatures speed didn't really show up until later installments.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 14, 2016, 08:34:05 AM
Quote from: 420Buddy on Mar 14, 2016, 01:27:08 AMThe crab walk would have been amazing in game. I could imagine walking into a dark room and seeing the alien crab all out of a shadowy corner, i would freak lol.

I've honestly never got the obsession with the crab walk. It was cut from Alien for a reason - it looked stupid. I can't see how that would somehow change because it's now in a video game.

Then again, maybe with Stompy's double-jointed leg design it might've looked a bit cooler and less daft.

I wasn't aware that thee was an "obsession" with the crab-walk.  Anyway, I just recently discovered it.  It is creepy because it is so completely inhuman as a motion, and yet it is somehow playful, like a cat playing with a mouse.  I can envision that thing creeping up to someone like that, tilting its head inquisitively, and once it is noticed, it shrieks and lunges.  But yes, I can also see the reasons for why it got cut.

Vermillion

Vermillion

It was lightening fast when it took out Parker. 

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Well therein was the magic of the Alien.  It would sneak up on people very slowly, and move fast only when it was ready to pounce.  But those moments when we see it walking slowly were absolutely horrific.  Like right after it killed Parker and Lambert... or as it was about to kill Lambert..  It's like it thrived on the fear.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Vermillion on Mar 14, 2016, 01:55:44 PM
It was lightening fast when it took out Parker.

I saw Parker rush over only for the alien to swing around and knock him down with his tail, then it hovered over him for a drawn out head bite. None of that came across as speed IMO, powerful yes though.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

For me it was the slowness that always made it so horrific.  It felt like the Alien stood over Brett for about 8 seconds before it took him down.  It literally enjoyed his fear.  Later films lost this element, one might argue to their detriment.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 14, 2016, 02:27:32 PM
For me it was the slowness that always made it so horrific.  It felt like the Alien stood over Brett for about 8 seconds before it took him down.  It literally enjoyed his fear. Later films lost this element, one might argue to their detriment.

We project so much onto this creature. Nothing indicates it enjoyed anything. What ALIEN did allow for is interpretation, it let your mind do a lot of the work. I don't think there was room for that in the sequels, really. Once it's been done it's been done. O'Bannon claimed you should only see the original movie once for the same reason. I don't agree with that but he's on point that you can't really replicate those feelings without being derivative.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 14, 2016, 03:12:18 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 14, 2016, 02:27:32 PM
For me it was the slowness that always made it so horrific.  It felt like the Alien stood over Brett for about 8 seconds before it took him down.  It literally enjoyed his fear. Later films lost this element, one might argue to their detriment.

We project so much onto this creature. Nothing indicates it enjoyed anything. What ALIEN did allow for is interpretation, it let your mind do a lot of the work. I don't think there was room for that in the sequels, really. Once it's been done it's been done. O'Bannon claimed you should only see the original movie once for the same reason. I don't agree with that but he's on point that you can't really replicate those feelings without being derivative.

Regarding our projection of  notions and ideas onto other animate or inanimate objects, that is something we do all the time, with everything.  Most of these are ostensibly astute assumptions which allow us to function properly, but we can never be 100% certain of any of these assumptions.  You think your dog loves you, but it may think of you as a food source.  You think your wife loves you, but you never know what she's really thinking.  You think of your car as an object of desire that gets you around in style, but really it is just a hulk of steel and plastic that is barely held together by thousands of variables that break down randomly over time.  We anthropomorphise everything around us to make it palatable to our minds, but I often question how right we are in these assumptions.  Certainly the Alien is not aware that its head looks like a penis, but that makes it terrifically frightening nevertheless.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed