Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,633,036 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

He didn't care for it? But...didn't he design it? Or am I way off the mark here?

SiL

SiL

You've never seen an artist look back at something and think "Eh, could'a done that better?" :P

The back pipes I don't think he ever liked, but was told to put there.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Ah, true enough. The back pipes are a nice touch.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

They were there both to keep balance and to break from the human silhouette.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 26, 2014, 10:11:00 PM
He didn't care for it? But...didn't he design it? Or am I way off the mark here?

He wasnt entirely happy with his work on the first film.

He was happier with his redesigned xeno for Alien 3.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

And that is bizarrely enough in every way inferior to the original (who didn't have, you know, Wolverine claws).

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Opinions, schmopinions.

Then again one design had a full movie to be showcased and to make "us" fall in love with it.... the other didnt.

Me, i like them both.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 26, 2014, 11:12:20 PM

He wasnt entirely happy with his work on the first film.

He was happier with his redesigned xeno for Alien 3.

I like them both as well. They're both excellent.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Speaking of Giger's redesign for Alien3... i dont think they had the full technology at the time to do everything that Giger wanted the creature to have...

Just the way that the head was supposed to transform looks insane.....

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

They decidedly had the technology -- but such an animatronic would've needed an awful lot of planning. Something Alien3 quite didn't have during production.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Yup. All in alliI was quite happy with the ADI design for alien puppy.

I still wonder if the idea to make the neck fleshier was Chris Cunningham's... because that little bit of the design seems more in keeping with his personal redesigns of the Xeno. (Just look at his concept art for the newborn or his covers for alien comic books.)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I think in general it was done to better conceal the head of the performer inside the creature's neck. They kept it in later designs. But yours is a definitely interesting suggestion.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jul 26, 2014, 11:13:09 PM
And that is bizarrely enough in every way inferior to the original (who didn't have, you know, Wolverine claws).

In every way?

I think stuff like the claws were there to reinforce the idea that this alien was more of a beast and I can buy into it. There's something alluring about the redesign that I think would fit a CG or mostly animatronic version of the creature. I think Giger was thinking outside the confines of a suit, although we haven't exactly gotten a performer as eerie and gangly since the first film as Badejo.

Valaquen

Valaquen

If you look at a lot of early interviews with Giger and even Ron Cobb, they all say that their designs could have been massively improved, could have been done better, that the film didn't bring to life the things they wanted, etc. Just artists being massively self-critical. They each had a vision in their heads of what Alien could be, and they didn't seen much of it reflected back from the screen. But those are the drawbacks to being creatively involved; you can seldom separate your ideas from the final product. As the old adage goes: "Movies aren't ever finished, they simply escape."

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

He preferred a longer ribcage but that's not what he was able or allowed to do. And so one thing he did with his "Alien 3" design was give it a longer ribcage

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed