Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,633,340 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 02, 2014, 05:29:07 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 02, 2014, 05:11:17 PM
Are there no behind the scenes pics of Winston's aliens before Cameron nixed the domes?

Not that I know of. Just a quote somewhere that said the crew built one, loved it, Cameron saw it and went, "Nope, look - it'll break. Change it!"

Also, "I like this one better".

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Elmazalman on Apr 02, 2014, 07:54:28 PM
Somebody should do a Photoshop of a Cameron Warrior with the dome just for comparison.

I'd like to see that, but also several different versions with varying level of opacity on the domes.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

The whole "cause the dome would crack" thing came only from Winston guys (and it wasnt even quoting him, it was just a "I think he thought the dome would crack etc") and I never believed it one bit because first of all, of all things ripping and breaking on the original it wasnt the dome, secondly, its Cameron. If he wanted something, hed find the way. He comes up with the idea, then he comes up with or creates a new technology or material to realize his designs and vision, not the other way around. But personally I dont like the mutation idea. Maybe it makes sense considering that theyre breeding underneath a "sort of" nuclear reactor, but outside the hands and missing dome (revealing what was essentially underneath the original as well) doesnt seem like mutation thing. I personally prefer the drone-warrior thing or aging explanation

SM

SM

And the now-you-see-them, now-you-don't forearm blades and dorsal spike.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: StrangeShape on Apr 04, 2014, 03:11:02 AM

The whole "cause the dome would crack" thing came only from Winston guys (and it wasnt even quoting him, it was just a "I think he thought the dome would crack etc") and I never believed it one bit because first of all, of all things ripping and breaking on the original it wasnt the dome, secondly, its Cameron. If he wanted something, hed find the way. He comes up with the idea, then he comes up with or creates a new technology or material to realize his designs and vision, not the other way around. But personally I dont like the mutation idea. Maybe it makes sense considering that theyre breeding underneath a "sort of" nuclear reactor, but outside the hands and missing dome (revealing what was essentially underneath the original as well) doesnt seem like mutation thing. I personally prefer the drone-warrior thing or aging explanation
I prefer the ageing theory myself,it makes sense.It would have been nice if Cameron included a few warriors with domes in some scenes just to show the Alien's in different stages of development.

SM

SM

Bit hard when he never gave it that much thought.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2014, 03:35:51 AM
Bit hard when he never gave it that much thought.
Pity.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Well he did show us the chestburster with a smooth head, at the same time implying the ridges come in time

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Elmazalman on Apr 04, 2014, 03:31:41 AMI prefer the ageing theory myself,it makes sense.It would have been nice if Cameron included a few warriors with domes in some scenes just to show the Alien's in different stages of development.
That would've been cool. At the end of the day though, why waste the limited budget on something most people wouldn't notice or care about?

Maybe one day Cameron can go back and George Lucas a few smooth heads into the film.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 02, 2014, 01:37:36 PM
Have to admit, I'm a big fan of the Stan Winston ridged heads, too. Helps them blend into their environments much more effectively and gives them a more primal, predatory look, for some reason. Maybe because it's skeletal and evocative of pipes and such.

For 'Alien 3', I honestly do love the production photos of the rod puppet, but it's the suit costume which gets most of the memorable shots and they made it look a lot fatter - especially around that horribly bloated neck, which I can never ignore during the Superintendent's death scene. And, well... Whenever the puppet's used, those awful matte lines are painfully obvious, so... Both had disadvantages when being shown on screen.

I like them both equally. I prefer the domed head at times only because the most common depiction of the Alien is with ridges. It's the way to go for artists it seems.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: StrangeShape on Apr 04, 2014, 03:11:02 AM
But personally I dont like the mutation idea. Maybe it makes sense considering that theyre breeding underneath a "sort of" nuclear reactor, but outside the hands and missing dome (revealing what was essentially underneath the original as well) doesnt seem like mutation thing. I personally prefer the drone-warrior thing or aging explanation

I think you're getting mixed up with a comic book idea of what mutation is, rather than a scientific one. The drone-warrior thing was nixed by Cameron decades ago ('warrior' being his term for the Alien as seen in the first movie); the games and comics really came up with the Alien social classes.

Gash

Gash

Never liked the aging theory myself because Kane's Son was supposed to have reached it's full life span and was on the wane in the Narcissus. Plus there's no way I can look at Giger's alien and consider it immature compared to the Aliens allens.

They're just different by design choice, in the same way Fincher's hypersleep bunks are.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Gash on Apr 04, 2014, 01:47:23 PM
Never liked the aging theory myself because Kane's Son was supposed to have reached it's full life span and was on the wane in the Narcissus. Plus there's no way I can look at Giger's alien and consider it immature compared to the Aliens allens.

Why not? Even O'Bannon called it a child.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Gash on Apr 04, 2014, 01:47:23 PMNever liked the aging theory myself because Kane's Son was supposed to have reached it's full life span and was on the wane in the Narcissus. Plus there's no way I can look at Giger's alien and consider it immature compared to the Aliens allens.
To be honest, I find the idea of it being an infant all the more terrifying. Imagine if a child had that kind of destructive power?

SM

SM

QuoteNever liked the aging theory myself because Kane's Son was supposed to have reached it's full life span and was on the wane in the Narcissus. Plus there's no way I can look at Giger's alien and consider it immature compared to the Aliens allens.

It's not even 12 hours old by the end of the film.

QuoteThey're just different by design choice, in the same way Fincher's hypersleep bunks are.

Ultimately that's the explanation.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed