Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,633,109 times)

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Quote from: Sol on Aug 29, 2013, 03:07:39 AM
Eh, you knew what I was saying, however. Semantics, and what not.

Anyway, back to the thread's subject matter.

That and this

and I have my ultimate alien

DC

DC

Quote from: Spaghetti on Sep 05, 2013, 11:44:13 AM
Quote from: Sol on Aug 29, 2013, 03:07:39 AM
Eh, you knew what I was saying, however. Semantics, and what not.

Anyway, back to the thread's subject matter.

That and this

and I have my ultimate alien

It's alright other than the raptor legs. :P

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Digitigrade legs.

And so many f**king animals have legs like that. It is not exclusive to Raptors.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I really like that too. Although I personally prefer the ridged heads from Aliens, that's a really nice image.

DC

DC

Quote from: Omegazilla on Sep 05, 2013, 12:11:26 PM
Digitigrade legs.

And so many f**king animals have legs like that. It is not exclusive to Raptors.

You knew what I meant.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

No I don't.

Those legs look nothing like Raptor legs. They don't look reptilian, they don't have raptor claws, they don't have the sickle  Nope-screw-that claws of doom. The similarities begin and end in the trait of just having a simply elongated metatarsal section, thus a digitigrade configuration.

Dogs. Cats. Thylacines. Cows. So many animals have legs with that configuration. Why those have to be, specifically, 'Raptor legs' is beyond me.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Not everyone sees a wider view of the world (and the creatures within it) with the same multifaceted eye clusters as you do Omega.  ;)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I know that. But every time it's like 'not the Raptor legs!' as if there's something inherently bad about Raptors.

I just wanna go home and party.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

One could probably make a case that Raptors are arguably the most famous/recognizable "Digitigraded Legged" creatures in film. In no small part due to the fantastic tracking shots of the Stan Winston Raptor legs running. They staged at least three complex shots showcasing them in close up. To the pop corn munching public they are probably synonymous with "Velicoraptors."

Mix that with Alien fans reactions who like the human/Giger design and you get what we've got. 

Anyway ... I always thought the digitigrade version of the alien from Alien 3 was the genesis of the design choice. The aliens in Resurrection have no excuse for the biological logic behind the engineering of their leg mechanics in my opinion.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Omegazilla on Sep 05, 2013, 03:30:52 PM
I just wanna go home and party.

This is best in life.

DC

DC

Quote from: Omegazilla on Sep 05, 2013, 02:15:27 PM

Those legs look nothing like Raptor legs. They don't look reptilian, they don't have raptor claws, they don't have the sickle  Nope-screw-that claws of doom. The similarities begin and end in the trait of just having a simply elongated metatarsal section, thus a digitigrade configuration.

Dogs. Cats. Thylacines. Cows. So many animals have legs with that configuration. Why those have to be, specifically, 'Raptor legs' is beyond me.

I know that. But every time it's like 'not the Raptor legs!' as if there's something inherently bad about Raptors.

Not even on topic, so . . .

. . . yeah.

QuoteI just wanna go home and party.

Right. ;)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Not bad.  Looks like a mixture of design elements.  I'd like to see how it looks with the dog alien's ribcage though.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Sep 05, 2013, 04:34:35 PM
One could probably make a case that Raptors are arguably the most famous/recognizable "Digitigraded Legged" creatures in film.
Yeah. Still. :-X

Anyway ... I always thought the digitigrade version of the alien from Alien 3 was the genesis of the design choice. The aliens in Resurrection have no excuse for the biological logic behind the engineering of their leg mechanics in my opinion.
That's precisely how it went, I think. In one book they mention it was a takeover from the dog design; whereas in one featurette (I think) they say they suggested it to the director seeing as they were early in production and were looking at some tests.

Either way, I have always thought it was about the Queen-type of legs 'showing' partially in their phenotype.

Quote from: DC on Sep 05, 2013, 07:50:46 PM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/101779/2468191-frustrated-face-meme-5315.jpg

DC

DC

Quote from: Omegazilla on Sep 05, 2013, 09:43:08 PM
One could probably make a case that Raptors are arguably the most famous/recognizable "Digitigraded Legged" creatures in film.
Yeah. Still. :-X

That's precisely how it went, I think. In one book they mention it was a takeover from the dog design; whereas in one featurette (I think) they say they suggested it to the director seeing as they were early in production and were looking at some tests.

Either way, I have always thought it was about the Queen-type of legs 'showing' partially in their phenotype.

Quote from: DC on Sep 05, 2013, 07:50:46 PM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/101779/2468191-frustrated-face-meme-5315.jpg
http://somewhatmanlynerd.com/gifs/commandowrong.gif
Nope

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Aaaaaaanywaaaaay

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed