Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,633,177 times)

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: SM on Jan 05, 2012, 04:48:19 AM
If you never get a good look at it on screen, it ceases to be relevant.
That's fair enough. Unfortunately there are parts from Resurrection and onwards that you do notice it. Although, in Requiem it's the most noticeable.

SM

SM

I can't think of any instances in Resurrection, though with the scenes in the cage there must be some shots of it.  I don't recall it looking especially bad - at least not as bad as the still above.  Often the pose of the Alien and the dorsal tubes masks the thick neck.

PsyKore

PsyKore

The cage is definitely one instance; you notice how the aliens can't swivel their heads, instead they have to turn their entire body. I think it looks very unnatural. You see this in Requiem a lot too.

SM

SM

I don't think that would be an issue.  The performer would just turn their head to turn the Alien head.  It may have looked a bit too humanlike though so the turning of the whole body may have been a performance decision.  Mind you the Alien whipping it's head around to face Vasquez looked pretty sweet.  Again, though that was a performance thing.  The way it whipped around didn't look humanlike.

Sexy Poot

Sexy Poot

I was just about to bring up the part where one looks at her in Aliens. Just adds to it for me.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Just back from Resurrection and the Alien necks didn't bother me in the slightest... it isn't until Requiem that the neck becomes really an 'issue'.

The Xenoborg

The Xenoborg

The necks give away the 'Man in a rubber suit' thing too easily.

The Runner

The Runner

I know they said that they had to fit the actors head in the suit but how did they make the neck smaller for the other movies yet worked fine but yet it looks like these Xenos got too much air pumped into their neck.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Older movies's xeno's had the actor's head at least partially in the xenomorph head, for a slimmer neck I believe, not just the whole actor's head stuffed in the neck like the latter films.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: SM on Jan 05, 2012, 05:06:43 AM
I don't think that would be an issue.  The performer would just turn their head to turn the Alien head.  It may have looked a bit too humanlike though so the turning of the whole body may have been a performance decision.  Mind you the Alien whipping it's head around to face Vasquez looked pretty sweet.  Again, though that was a performance thing.  The way it whipped around didn't look humanlike.

I assumed because the actor's head is in the neck, it'd prevent the Alien head from being able to swivel properly. I'm not 100% sure if it's a performance thing or not. When I've seen some behind-the-scenes footage of them in the suits, it really looks like the head can't turn because of the suit's design. Essentially the neck and head are all one, which to me is a bad and fake-looking design, and it does project a more prominent man-in-suit look. I dunno, it just bothers me. :P Like you said, that cool shot in Aliens when the Alien whips its head around to face Vazques is so awesome, but it's like the Xeno's in the latter films all have neck braces on.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

First Alien suit had half of Bolaji's head sitting inside the Alien's head, later Alien suits had the whole head of the performer in the neck to achieve a taller stature. Alien3 and post-Alien3 designs' necks were just design choices I reckon. The only one I have data about is the AvPR one, they made it that to make it more 'conformed to the head' or something. Problem is it's damn disproportioned. The Alien3 neck worked because it was somehow proportioned (not to mention its magic size shifting abilities). Same for the Resurrection ones.

shadowedge

shadowedge

Behold the car of nightmares:

alanwu1233

alanwu1233

Quote from: shadowedge on Jan 06, 2012, 09:31:16 AM

I will shit bricks when I see it while Im driving.

Requiem28

Requiem28

Quote from: shadowedge on Jan 06, 2012, 09:31:16 AM

I've just posted that in like- the last page, but still an awesome car!

PsyKore

PsyKore

That car is forever getting posted. It's "one of those" pictures. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed