Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,633,075 times)

SM

SM

Quoteso it's kinda weird that the dog alien retains a human head..

Not really.  It does however PredAlien heads with mandibles and dreads look rather silly though.

The skull is simply part of the design and suit.  It's not meant to be a literal human skull. 

keeperxiii

keeperxiii

Quote from: SM on Mar 09, 2011, 10:25:55 PM
Quoteso it's kinda weird that the dog alien retains a human head..

Not really.  It does however PredAlien heads with mandibles and dreads look rather silly though.

The skull is simply part of the design and suit.

I have to disagree there. I think that the original Alien design is very iconic, but it's kinda unrealistic to have the alien retain a (really) human-looking head if it is born from a dog. Even if you're following the viewpoint that the last generation of aliens (the aliens born out of humans in 'Aliens') mattered and influenced the dna, it's skull is still very human looking, specially the jaw.

QuoteIt's not meant to be a literal human skull.

I don't know if Ridley and Giger have other plans right now, if this was intentionally hidden or if they really cared about this but I think it used to be:

SM

SM

The jaw is massively oversized in relation to the skull.  And then it packs another jaw.  Not terribly humanlike at all.  Giger was going for more humanlike with lips and tongue on Alien3, which thankfully were never fully realised.

As for "it should have a dog skull" -  don't see why.  It looks like the designers wanted it to look.

keeperxiii

keeperxiii

I actually think that a dog skull (or a variation on it, or even a modified lion skull) would give it a really cool variation on the alien design. If done right it could be great! And even add to the whole 'fast-puma look' of the dog alien.

As for the original jaw, it looks very human to me and it really looks like it's evocative of a human skull. But I guess it's a point of view.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Mar 10, 2011, 12:00:45 AM
The jaw is massively oversized in relation to the skull.  And then it packs another jaw.  Not terribly humanlike at all.  Giger was going for more humanlike with lips and tongue on Alien3, which thankfully were never fully realised.

As for "it should have a dog skull" -  don't see why.  It looks like the designers wanted it to look.

Are there any concepts of that first design you described? I'd be interested in seeing them.

SM

SM

That's the whole trick, though.  It evokes some kind of familiarity and therefore humanity, while being clearly not.

I remember being quite surprised when I was trying to make a digital Alien years ago.  I started with a human skull but couldn't figure out why the jaw never looked right.  Only after studying some pictures and then scaling the jaw bone up a lot did it start to look right.  Buried under all them tendons in the film, it looks more or less like it's proportional to the skull.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 10, 2011, 12:41:29 AM
Quote from: SM on Mar 10, 2011, 12:00:45 AM

Are there any concepts of that first design you described? I'd be interested in seeing them.

The Giger Alien3 design?  I'm sure there are, though I'm not sure where.  Giger talks about it and there are pics in Wreckage and Rage/ Rape.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

What are those? Easter eggs in the BD Quadrilogy?

SM

SM

No, just the normal making of docos on the Quad DVDs and Anthology BRs.

Shasvre

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

Looks like it could be a pre queen.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Cap. Fitzgerald on Mar 10, 2011, 02:08:17 AM
Looks like it could be a pre queen.
Why? It's a Resurrection Alien, legs and all.

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

He back of the head looks like it'll form into a crown and the legs thin quality make them look queenish.
I dunno it came off as Pre queen to me.

SM

SM

A pre-Queen would be holding kitteh with her secondary arms.

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

I'm just saying it looks kinda like it.
Also tge tiny arms might be under, supporting the cat.

SM

SM

Meh.  Doesn't look like anything but a Resurrection Alien to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed