Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,633,001 times)

Xhan

Xhan

For someone claiming to know all the details ever presented in the most authoritarian manner possible, once again arguing with people who have known authoritatively for years, replete with the proper material to back it up. Astounding, and we have perfect evidence of the lighting shift flattening details on the home release media itself, which directly and evenly corroborates the pictures herein. Seriously, get a clue.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2011, 10:02:41 PM

Who gives a shit what the suit looks like under less than optimal lighting in a workshop, if it looks good on screen?  That's what it was designed and built to do and by and large it does.

Despite inconsistencies with the puppet, the suit always seemed to be pretty consistent.

Im not saying its not consistent and that it doesnt look good, Im saying a very silvery color with the black, accented airbrush work wouldve been much nicer, and the colors that Im posting below is better than all grey

The airbrushed artwork seems to completely vanish

SiL

SiL

Yes. But the lighting and cinematography murdered it, the end.

SM

SM

QuoteIm not saying its not consistent and that it doesnt look good, Im saying a very silvery color with the black, accented airbrush work wouldve been much nicer

Kinda like this...

Xhan

Xhan

touche + ugh.

Touchugh.

Gash

Gash

At the risk of joining a debate I'm not hugely interested in I might as well just say that the cinematography was probably one of the real stand out elements in Alien3. Due to advances in latex I'd say the suit is better constructed (materials wise) and that generally the glimpses you get of it don't reveal the fact that the guy wearing it is too plump to match the puppet, but that's the art of movie making. Yes, the biomechanics have been softened to the detriment of the design but a big improvement over it's predecessor IMO is the return of the dome.

Despite the differences, I still prefer the Alien3 as it appears in the film over those in Aliens. The big issue being the head and the hands. The 3 suit doesn't look good in behind the scenes shots really, when he's walking to set etc the upright pose is lessened hugely by the lack of back tubes, but in the film itself the biggest issue is the compositing of the puppet.

I'd agree that the airbrushing in the production line looks nice, but the chances of any of that being seen in the film, with the light levels and slime are practically zero. The details really need to be sculpted into the suit to be seen once lit for filming.

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

This is the best pic thread guys.
Not a thread about the Alien3 suit. Go make another thread, or hell don't, but please stop derailing this one.

SM

SM

Chill faux admin.  It'll get back on track of it's own accord.

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

They've been doing it on and off for three pages now.
But fine, I'll let them bark uselessly and endlessly at each other.

Alexa Chung

Alexa Chung

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2011, 10:32:48 PM
QuoteIm not saying its not consistent and that it doesnt look good, Im saying a very silvery color with the black, accented airbrush work wouldve been much nicer

Kinda like this...

in shots like this i think the rez aliens look pretty good (albeit totally distinct from 'the alien'). i wouldn't have guessed the suits themselves looked so goofy

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

Yeah, Jeunet and Darius Khondji certainly did the best job of selling that design on film (most of the time, anyways).

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Cap. Fitzgerald on Mar 02, 2011, 01:26:15 AM

But fine, I'll let them bark uselessly and endlessly at each other.

Wel, Im sure not barking or anger by anyone, I hope its the samw way for the viewers of the opposite side of the argument. Anyway, to get back on the track,

Bad Replicant

SM

SM

If stormtroopers can do the Thriller dance, then so can I!!

Gash

Gash

Eddie again

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed