Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,633,309 times)

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

And yet the first suit which has airbrushing and detaisl all around it was not something weve seen in the movie and not something that weve seen Tommy wear

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I think the former is the 'definitive' suit, whereas the latter is a 'proto' suit, not yet airbrushed on. Didn't look like that in the film - I think it was used only when they filmed Clemens' death.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Where, the lead trap chase didnt have the airbrushed, scultpure rich suit either

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

In that picture they didn't bother with the fact the flash and the lights hid the details a lot. This last picture is the same thing as you posted before (the first one), clues are absence of shedding skin and the same opaque dome on.
The film's cinematography wasn't the best thing to highlight the details either. Look at the Runner Rod puppet, a lot of fine details were erased when it was inserted into the film.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

My point is the suit as shown in the pre filming photos with its details and airbrushing looked far superior than from how it looked and how its design was downgraded by finishing job

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

This

Is not the finished job.

This

Is.

Again, in the film those details are not seen because of the colors of the cinematography, which point to a bronze-red-brown tones, which all but highlight those fine details. In the film you can make out a lot of the Runner, but the smallest details, alas those airbrushings, aren't able to be highlighted much. But if you look close they are here.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

But in that suit you didnt have to look closer, theyre clear as day and if you see the production photo the hand isnt full of clear details like the one from the pre filming photo. The paint job and all the addition of muscles and other finishing touches heavily diluted the design

Because that arm...
Is not a mirror image of this

One is a flesh, the other looks like human shaped, Giger's airbrushed painting. So again, the finishing job took away A LOT from the design

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

You have to look closer because the colors of the film contrast with the details. That's also why you have to look closer in a lot of production stills, because they are done in a very similar photography as in the film. If you notice, both of the stills that show those details 'clear as day' are in a green-yellow tint, whereas the production stills not showing them are in other colors, principally in red-bronze-brown.  A lot of the details are hidden in every single Alien film because of the cinematography. The skull in Alien, the ridge design in Aliens, a lot of the airbrushing in Alien3, the twin tubes, scanalatures and subtle ribbing in Alien: Resurrection to name a few.

And double posting is not allowed, so I suggest to edit your earlier post.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

But the last photo I posted isnt bound by cinematography, and we see the arm very well, and its not a mirror image of the suit during production which didnt have those details covered up/painted over. Now, again, I know its the same suitas wee see some of this stuff barely getting through, but the finishing job on the suit changed it radically and took away something really special

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

We see only part of the arm as most of it is covered in shadows - and again, the colors are a lot similar to the final cinematography, also because of the environment of the 'right' color. After all, it's also why the Alien was colored in a way that it was to be filmed in that certain environment.

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

I'm with SiL and OmegaZilla here. The first picture of the fully assembled suit in ADI's workshop was taken in the most average, flat kind of lighting with a flash added on top of that. The on-set publicity stills and any images in the film itself were usually being captured in much darker, more contrasty conditions with additional color manipulation in post-production added on top of that. With these things in mind, all the little details that are airbrushed into the suit as opposed to being sculpted in become much less prominent in the finshed flick - especially when you factor in a layer of slime that's reflecting light on the surface. The greyish suit with the shedding skin shouldn't enter into it, since it was only being used for shots of the alien's silhouette on the wall during Clemens' death scene (at least, that's all it was used for while in that state). To me it always looked like a stunt suit minus proper paint job that they busted out because all they needed was a shadow.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: StrangeShape on Feb 28, 2011, 02:23:35 PM
But the last photo I posted isnt bound by cinematography,
Yes it is. It's still being lit by stage lighting. I can clearly see that the detail in the underarm of that image is the same as in the shots taken from ADI's studio. The shoulder has been covered, but that's because the suits on the mannequins aren't completed yet. Everything else about the arm is still there.

The paint job is still there. It's like looking at the bone-and-black suits of Aliens and saying they drastically changed them before filming started because they're all blue and or black when we see them in most behind-the-scenes pictures.

The same has basically happened with every Alien. Even look at the original. Most of Giger's paint job isn't actually visible in the movie.

SM

SM

And movies get colour corrected in post.

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

El topico pot favor?

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

Shoulda bagged the cat.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed