Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 286,577 times)

Topazora

Topazora

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 04, 2014, 11:32:33 PM

Quote from: Topazora on May 04, 2014, 11:05:04 PM
Maybe the four armed predator was because he got mutated by the black goo?

As much as I really, really want to forget the four armed Predator.. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a product by the black liquid. If he was, I'm sure he wouldn't even be a Predator anymore or even remotely alive. I'd figure he was a result of genetic manipulation, assuming the genetic manipulation idea still holds some water.
true he would no longer be a predator, but I could see them build on the idea.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 04, 2014, 06:09:53 PMThe thing is with the panels, Sebela did say that those weren't supposed to be Super Predators.. But they are drawn to look like Super Predators right down to the unusual foot anatomy. If they are not supposed to be Super Predators, why are they drawn to look like them? Borrowing designs sure but.. it throws everyone off.

Seriously...big deal

Also, if they're not Supers, that doesn't necessarily mean they're Classics. Think about it. They exhibit the Super design aesthetic, but they could very well represent a new predator tribe of Sebela's invention, one "inspired" by the Supers

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on May 05, 2014, 12:42:32 AM
Seriously...big deal

Also, if they're not Supers, that doesn't necessarily mean they're Classics. Think about it. They exhibit the Super design aesthetic, but they could very well represent a new predator tribe of Sebela's invention, one "inspired" by the Supers

Assuming this is true, and this is a pretty big assumption I would suggest you actually look at the panel where the look-alike Berserker Predator in question jabs the guy in the arm with the spear, I suggest you take a look at his feet. Count the toes. Three large toes. Normal Predators have four smaller toes on their feet (six if you count the ankle claws), Super Predators have three large toes on their feet (four counting the ankle claws). You noted the lack of mesh, you noted the singular wristblades, and I would've figured you noticed the toes.

I'll give you the plausibility that it's possible for Normal Predators to adopt the armor and weapons of the Super Predators. But while Sebela does say that these are not Super Predators, the art and the anatomy on the panels would suggest otherwise. So if this clan is emulating the appearance of the Super Predators, I would say it'd be kind of dumb for them to hack off one of their toes to completely emulate the appearance of the Super Predators, and even if they did-- their toe claws are much smaller than the Super Predator toe claws. Of course this could be footwear which protects the entire foot, but looking at the line art and foot anatomy, that might not seem to be the case.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 05, 2014, 01:13:56 AM...

No...that's not what I'm getting at. It's possible to borrow design aesthetics without borrowing the underlying concept. I don't know how to put this in simpler terms. Like you said, it would be a bit confusing but it could be done.

It's possible that Sebela likes the design aesthetics of the Super Predators. He also likes the idea of a non-Classic tribe of predators. However, he might be dropping the Super Predator concept: supposedly bigger, badder predators who have game reserve planets, use hounds and falcons, treat Classics as prey to be tormented

The result is a non-Classic tribe of predators who look like the Supers but who don't act like them. We could call them quasi-Supers...or Sebela's "re-imagining" of the Supers. You might even call it a retcon.   

If that were the case, then true Supers (the ones in the movie) might not even exist in the universe of the new AvP series.  My point is that Sebela has a lot of room to play with ideas. He's not strictly bound to previous lore. It's possible that the Super-looking predators are neither "regular" Predators nor true Super Predators.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

^you can see this concept in play during the TWW where the rival preds were more militaristic than their classic counterparts.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 05, 2014, 02:25:49 AM
^you can see this concept in play during the TWW where the rival preds were more militaristic than their classic counterparts.

I'd be down for a tribe who looks like the Supers but who act like the Killers.

I don't like the concept of the Supers but I think their design aesthetic is pretty decent. I like the Killer concept but I think they look kinda silly...too blatantly Samurai-ish IMO

A combination of the good elements of both would be pretty sweet 

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on May 05, 2014, 02:22:12 AM
No...that's not what I'm getting at. It's possible to borrow design aesthetics without borrowing the underlying concept. I don't know how to put this in simpler terms. Like you said, it would be a bit confusing but it could be done.

It was confusing at first glance when I looked at it, and is still somewhat confusing now.

It's possible that Sebela likes the design aesthetics of the Super Predators. He also likes the idea of a non-Classic tribe of predators. However, he might be dropping the Super Predator concept: supposedly bigger, badder predators who have game reserve planets, use hounds and falcons, treat Classics as prey to be tormented

Then that just goes back to the Killer Clan concept again.. And that concept was pulled off a lot better than PREDATORS' ideas of inherently evil clans. Say what you want about the storyline of the last relaunch comics, and I'm talking into account of Prey to the Heavens and Three World War. The Killers took the implied concept of Bad Blood clans and solidified them.

Sure, different clans and different rules.. but that has always been implied in the EU and wasn't really seen until Prey to the Heavens, Three World War and of course... PREDATORS.

But I get what you're saying and all, I do but if you ask me.. the art tells me these are Super Predators. I'm looking at this like someone who isn't as deep in the franchises as we are, and if I were the layman, I'd be thinking: "Hey, it's those new Predators that Robbie made, cool."

The result is a non-Classic tribe of predators who look like the Supers but who don't act like them. We could call them quasi-Supers...or Sebela's "re-imagining" of the Supers. You might even call it a retcon.   

Oh how I would love it if the Super Predators were retconned. You have no idea how that would make me so happy. But comics really so much as can't retcon the films, they have to follow them. Licensees really aren't allowed to the change the stories of the source material or deviate too far-- though the latter has been known to happen in the past.

Now the idea of different sub-species has sort of been around since Predator 2, and if you count the Batman and Superman crossover-- those as well but to me, the Super Predators were just.. taken to an unnecessary extreme of that idea. As for them being Quasi-Super, or Semi-Super.. I don't know. No one knows. I'm just going by what the art shows me.

If that were the case, then true Supers (the ones in the movie) might not even exist in the universe of the new AvP series.  My point is that Sebela has a lot of room to play with ideas. He's not strictly bound to previous lore. It's possible that the Super-looking predators are neither "regular" Predators nor true Super Predators.

So now you're saying that as far as the reboot AvP Universe is concerned, the Super Predators may not exist? I wish that was something which could be the case but I doubt it. And you speak as if there is more than one Alien-Predator universe, and if you are then might I introduce you to the Multiverse thread in the Alien-Predator General Discussion thread? Assuming if that's what you are implying from the sidelines anyway regarding that little tidbit.

And if you want to get technical, the Super Predators sort of have found their way in the/a AvP Universe... Namely AvP Evolution but do you actually count that particular game? I sure as heck don't.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 05, 2014, 02:40:56 AMSo now you're saying that as far as the reboot AvP Universe is concerned, the Super Predators may not exist?

Yes! That's a possibility. Remember when Sebela claimed there'd be no Supers. It's possible he was being honest and [EDIT: not] deliberately trying to trick us.

Imagine this...in the upcoming comic book universe, the Super Predators don't exist. Instead, there's a tribe of predators who borrow the Super Predator design aesthetic (because Sebela likes that aesthetic) but who act more like Killers...or maybe they don't act like Killers. Maybe Sebela is inventing a new culture for them.

If this is indeed a re-boot, Sebela and co. have been given a lot of freedom to develop their own AvP universe. They could discard whatever previous stuff they don't like and keep whatever previous stuff they do like...while inventing their own stuff.   

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on May 05, 2014, 02:49:56 AM
Yes! That's a possibility. Remember when Sebela claimed there'd be no Supers. It's possible he was being honest and deliberately trying to trick us. 

So far, we have asked him twice.. We being myself, and Ultramorph and he has said no. However considering the artwork by Olivetti, that doesn't seem to corroborate with his statement. Normally, I would follow Word of God but I am starting to realize that sometimes doesn't really hold up. I mean sometimes storytelling betrays Author Intent/Word of God. This happens a lot in tons, if not all of fiction.

Imagine this...in the upcoming comic book universe, the Super Predators don't exist. Instead, there's a tribe of predators who borrow the Super Predator design aesthetic (because Sebela likes that aesthetic) but who act more like Killers...or maybe they don't act like Killers. Maybe Sebela is inventing a new culture for them. 

If that is the case, I might be down for that.. MIGHT be.

If this is indeed a re-boot, Sebela and co. have been given a lot of freedom to develop their own AvP universe. They could discard whatever previous stuff they don't like and keep whatever previous stuff they do like...while inventing their own stuff.

I honestly hope that this is a reboot and not so much as a shoe-horned in retcon. I honestly hope that is the case as it's one of the questions which I have asked that wasn't answered by the pages shown so far. I wouldn't be pleased if this was a shoe-horned in retcon that's somehow supposed to fit with the past published stuff from all 26 years ago.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 05, 2014, 02:56:41 AM
So far, we have asked him twice.. We being myself, and Ultramorph and he has said no. However considering the artwork by Olivetti, that doesn't seem to corroborate with his statement.

...or it might mean he likes the Super Predator design, but he's dropping the concept (as I've explained). A design is merely a design. AvP 2010 has Wolf's mask in it...but we all know that that predator isn't Wolf.

The new series might have predators who look like Super Predators, but these predators don't necessarily represent the same concept.

Ultramorph

Since the discussion seems to have reached a natural lull, I'll just leave this (admittedly unscientific and imperfect) comparison image I cooked up to make you wonder. I could be totally wrong, just something to think about.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I only recognize the first 3 images, what are the others?

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

The last four images alternate between concept art from Isolation and the four-page Aliens comic previews from CBR.

Spoiler

[close]

Master

Master

The Big white fella in the preview looks allot like Tyrant from RE Series.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The Black Goo is really the T-Virus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed