Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,137 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: MadassAlex on Oct 30, 2010, 05:12:17 PM
The plot premise was pretty bad. Cloning a human being won't result in cloning parasite organisms.
I always thought that since it's a parasite, it somewhat took nutrients from the Host's blood, thus resulting in something of it getting on the blood itself.

Quote from: MadassAlex on Oct 30, 2010, 05:12:17 PM
Not enough Alien stuff. We needed to see more Aliens doing their thing, spread over more time, to feel more threatened.
Last time I watched Resurrection I somewhat felt this too. A third scene after the "trap" and the Underwater one would've been awesome.

Mus

Mus

Resurrection is like a carnival freak show, they're just wandering through the ship and it's like "oh look, here's a super clone lady and there's some mutant Aliens neatly caged and here is some freaky failed clones in glowing tubes and oh, here's a mutated Queen with its hybrid Alien offspring."

DJ Pu$$yface

DJ Pu$$yface

Quote from: MadassAlex on Oct 30, 2010, 03:36:58 PM
I'm with SiL on this one.

One Predator takes out like a bazillion Aliens, repeat for 20 years. Alien fans grin and bear it.

One Alien takes out two Predators. Never happens again. Predator fans are still flipping out.

Yeah, f**k that shit.

That was just comics. Big whoop. Other then that, I really don't know how to respond. Maybe:

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Quote from: SpacePredator on Oct 30, 2010, 07:48:50 PM

One Predator takes out like a bazillion Aliens, repeat for 20 years. Alien fans grin and bear it.

One Alien takes out two Predators. Never happens again. Predator fans are still flipping out.

Yeah, f**k that shit.

That was just comics.

AvPR would like to have a word with you.

DJ Pu$$yface

DJ Pu$$yface

Quote from: Drago-Morph on Oct 30, 2010, 11:40:24 PM

Yeah, f**k that shit.

That was just comics.

Mr. Bean (the director) would like a word with you.

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Quote from: SpacePredator on Oct 30, 2010, 11:43:19 PM

Yeah, f**k that shit.

That was just comics.

Either that simply made no sense, or it flew over my head.

DJ Pu$$yface

DJ Pu$$yface

Quote from: Drago-Morph on Oct 30, 2010, 11:51:28 PM
Quote from: SpacePredator on Oct 30, 2010, 11:43:19 PM

Yeah, f**k that shit.

That was just comics.

Either that simply made no sense, or it flew over my head.

You son't know who he is, do you?

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

That was just comics. Big whoop.

And the games (although the Aliens are markedly more deadly than is usual for the EU in the Rebellion games, granted). And the other film.

99% of the franchise, total, is made squarely of Predators kicking Aliens' asses like it's going out of fashion -- and it has. The thing about that is, apart from how it violates the Alien canon and ignores the otherworldly implications of the Aliens is that it's just boring. The first AvP comic doesn't contain a whole lot of Aliens fighting Predators, but what is there isn't very exciting because once you see the pattern, it's all predictable.

Shit, what's stopping an Alien from wholesale pulling a spear out of a Predator's hands and tail impaling the poor sonnovabitch where he stands at any moment? Writers, mostly. Think about it. An Alien has two extra ways to strike over any other four-limbed, land-dwelling organism. There's plenty of ways to capitalise on that, but we never see any. What about grabbing a Predator's spear, holding it against the thing's body and headbiting while it struggles to think of a way out of the situation? Or what about an Alien tripping a Predator with its tail and crippling a limb or two before it can react?

We don't get fights like that. All we get is the writers talking about how expert the Predators are with generic action shots of them cutting up Aliens.

The one time we did get a story about one Alien taking out multiple Predators in the comics, it was a Predalien. Gee, thanks, whoever wrote that.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: MadassAlex on Oct 31, 2010, 03:18:38 AM
That was just comics. Big whoop.

And the games (although the Aliens are markedly more deadly than is usual for the EU in the Rebellion games, granted). And the other film.

99% of the franchise, total, is made squarely of Predators kicking Aliens' asses like it's going out of fashion -- and it has. The thing about that is, apart from how it violates the Alien canon and ignores the otherworldly implications of the Aliens is that it's just boring. The first AvP comic doesn't contain a whole lot of Aliens fighting Predators, but what is there isn't very exciting because once you see the pattern, it's all predictable.

Shit, what's stopping an Alien from wholesale pulling a spear out of a Predator's hands and tail impaling the poor sonnovabitch where he stands at any moment? Writers, mostly. Think about it. An Alien has two extra ways to strike over any other four-limbed, land-dwelling organism. There's plenty of ways to capitalise on that, but we never see any. What about grabbing a Predator's spear, holding it against the thing's body and headbiting while it struggles to think of a way out of the situation? Or what about an Alien tripping a Predator with its tail and crippling a limb or two before it can react?

We don't get fights like that. All we get is the writers talking about how expert the Predators are with generic action shots of them cutting up Aliens.

The one time we did get a story about one Alien taking out multiple Predators in the comics, it was a Predalien. Gee, thanks, whoever wrote that.

General opinion amoungst fans and casual viewers alike is that is how it would happen. They're not going against the grain. 20 years on and I agree we need more variety in the action. Grid killed off 2 preds. Big whoop. Chopper was caught unaware and deserves to be killed off and celtic went for the glory kill and paid the price. Despite being a battle to the death, its a sport to them, and sometimes you lose. I only didn't like the go go gadget tail and melting weaponry, but the outcome was fine by me.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

People expect that outcome solely because it's been drilled into their heads, but then the Aliens have both their own comics and the AvP comics working against them.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Anderson's AVP was the first material to suggest otherwise.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

The Alien films would be way ahead of you there.

Ghostface

Ghostface

It showed what they can do against humans that have no idea what they are doing, or are insufficiently armed. Predators know everything about the xeno and hunt using weapons specifically for them. If a guy goes walking around africa and stumbles on a lion, chances are he's gonna get a hurt reaaall bad. A big game hunter specifically there with the purpose of hunting a lion with appropriate equipment and weapons has completely different odds. Yes the marines in Aliens went in after the xeno, but the first encounter just showed they really knew NOTHING about their enemy. Even ripley failed to shed much light on the xeno.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: tonyzork on Oct 31, 2010, 05:42:35 AM
Predators know everything about the xeno

Complete assumption.

Quote from: tonyzork on Oct 31, 2010, 05:42:35 AMand hunt using weapons specifically for them.

As is this.

Quote from: tonyzork on Oct 31, 2010, 05:42:35 AMIf a guy goes walking around africa and stumbles on a lion, chances are he's gonna get a hurt reaaall bad. A big game hunter specifically there with the purpose of hunting a lion with appropriate equipment and weapons has completely different odds.

I hate this hunter/lion analogy because it doesn't take into account the unknown factors of the Alien. We don't know its psychology or its physiology. We don't even know if they can be categorised as the same kind of life we are -- for all our information tells us, they could be as different to us as we are to plants.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Based on the material we're presented though the analogy can still work because the Alien is hunted like a lion. The Predator knows what its up against so it takes the proper equipment for the job.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed