Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 683,998 times)

Weasel

Weasel

It sucks because the plot could be there. They are a way compatible species. The ultimate hunter vs the ultimate prey. Lots could be done, but the story is just lacking. Now the franchise is given a 'cheap popcorn thrills' appeal instead of the ground breaking roots it grew up on. (Alien and to some extend Predator)

AVPR wins even though it's plot and acting or more terrible, simply because it had more action, had the R rating it needed, and leads finally (hopefully) into space. If it wasn't for AVPs predalien ending, we could get that space action because we wouldn't have to link it to that exact time. AVP has generally cleaner and better plot, but certain elements make it garbage. The only reason to watch that movie is the Grid vs Scar battle. The lack of action makes it snore fest because the plot in itself is not enough to drive it forward.

Milan

Milan

I think that these movies would have been a lot better if they didn't try to bring in so much new stuff to the creatures, they should have stick ed with what they got.
One part of the "coolness" to the Predator is that he was a hunter, living only for the hunt, for the next trophy, he once was a easy creature, primitive in it's nature but was using high tech gear and weapons, which he sometimes used sadistically, he liked to toy with his targets, enjoying their fear.
The Alien was a nightmarish creature without mercy.
You might think that it saved your ass because you were pregnant or unarmed;)...
...until you see that egg opening up in front of you...

I wouldn't mind new weapons for the Predators or a new hybrid for the aliens, and sure we got some new weapons and a new hybrid.
But everything else was just wrong.
I still get chills from the first chestbust in "Alien" and from the line;
- Kill...me... ,In "Aliens".
And I still get a "stalker" vibe from the Predator, as he was watching his targets from the distance, choosing his prey and picking them off one by one.
I can watch P1 over and over and never get tired of it, and the coolest scene in P2 must be when the Keyes and his men are trying to ambush the Predator in the slaughter house...

I really miss that vibe from both the Alien and Predator movies in AVP and AVP-R.

Foundationman2

Foundationman2

AVP is a good film in regards to quality. However, the movie (both actually) sucked because of all the loopholes they racked their brains to find in the canon. They both had their downsides, but I'll admit, I enjoy sitting down for an Alien/Predator marathon, avp included, because all in all, they all contain my favorite movie monsters of all time. Sure, the issues with canon upsets me, but I don't even view AVP/R as part of the franchise, just an EU Science-fiction-fiction-action movie. No more no less.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

So which did you prefer?

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: Milan on Nov 04, 2008, 02:11:32 AM
I think that these movies would have been a lot better if they didn't try to bring in so much new stuff to the creatures, they should have stick ed with what they got.
One part of the "coolness" to the Predator is that he was a hunter, living only for the hunt, for the next trophy, he once was a easy creature, primitive in it's nature but was using high tech gear and weapons, which he sometimes used sadistically, he liked to toy with his targets, enjoying their fear.
You might think that it saved your ass because you were pregnant or unarmed;)...

I wouldn't mind new weapons for the Predators or a new hybrid for the aliens, and sure we got some new weapons and a new hybrid.
And I still get a "stalker" vibe from the Predator, as he was watching his targets from the distance, choosing his prey and picking them off one by one.
I can watch P1 over and over and never get tired of it, and the coolest scene in P2 must be when the Keyes and his men are trying to ambush the Predator in the slaughter house...

I really miss that vibe from both the Alien and Predator movies in AVP and AVP-R.

If you want purity than it's Alien 1 and Predator 1.  They are the only, the quintessential movies in the franchise.  Forget the rest.  No predators hunting in clans, xenomorph skulls and honour system.  No queens and bug-like aliens...

For a purist, there is only A L I E N and PREDATOR.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: gameoverman on Nov 24, 2008, 01:43:28 AM

If you want purity than it's Alien 1 and Predator 1.  They are the only, the quintessential movies in the franchise.  Forget the rest.  No predators hunting in clans, xenomorph skulls and honour system.  No queens and bug-like aliens...

I'm not sure I understand you...
But I don't see anything wrong with the Alien trophy.
The idea behind it was real simple, they just put it there to show us one of the many creatures they have hunted. It wasn't meant to be something huge.
Just a creature deadly enough that it qualifyed to become a trophy once it was killed, like the rest of the tropyhs in that room.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: Milan on Nov 24, 2008, 09:22:08 AM
Quote from: gameoverman on Nov 24, 2008, 01:43:28 AM

I'm not sure I understand you...
But I don't see anything wrong with the Alien trophy.
The idea behind it was real simple, they just put it there to show us one of the many creatures they have hunted. It wasn't meant to be something huge.
Just a creature deadly enough that it qualifyed to become a trophy once it was killed, like the rest of the tropyhs in that room.

That's not the idea behind it.....  It was a cute reference to the comic series Aliens Vs Predator.  The only thing is, it kind of raped things continuity-wise for the Alien series.  So it's best seen as just a cute little reference and nothing more.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Yup. It's said on the DVD that the Alien skull was thrown in as a gag and nothing more.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 24, 2008, 02:16:30 PM
Yup. It's said on the DVD that the Alien skull was thrown in as a gag and nothing more.

"The skull of a creature that resembles the ones in Alien and Aliens is on the wall in the Predator's trophy room. Putting the Alien skull on the trophy case on the Predator ship was the idea of Stan Winston' as a way of showing off all the different species and creatures that the Predators have hunted and killed. Since Fox had owned the Alien franchise, it was easy to obtain the rights to use the Alien head in the film. "

This was taken from the trivia section about Predator 2 on this site.
If it's false information then I think it would be good if someone changed it...

SM

SM

Depends if there's a source cited or not.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: SM on Nov 25, 2008, 04:16:39 AM
Depends if there's a source cited or not.

I couldn't find any, but the information written about Predator 2 on this site looks like it's done correctly.
I don't think that anyone would make things up in the movie section outside the forum.

Maybe someone among the staff knows more about this than you and me,
like the one who wrote it.

SM

SM

People make stuff up all the time - either on purpose or via the "I remember reading ages ago" method.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: SM on Nov 26, 2008, 03:41:28 AM
People make stuff up all the time - either on purpose or via the "I remember reading ages ago" method.

Yeah, some ppl do that, I'm one of them, it's called "speculation"... ;D

But I wouldn't do it if I'm about to write an in depth review about the movie, providing information about the movie, it's story, cast, pre-production and post-production and more.

Look at the page, it doesn't even hint that the information put down is something from the authors wild imagination.

SM

SM

I'm not saying it is, but sometimes erroneous things get remembered as fact.  Many people still think Weyland Yutani came from Ridley Scott's neighbours names, which is wrong.  Years ago some guy online claimed that the Burke coccoon scene was cut because it wrecked continuity, and got incredibly stroppy when I provided a quote from Cameron saying it got cut because he was never happy with the quality of the scene and no mention of continuity problems.

I know of at least one person who claims they saw the Burke scene in a theatre, or that it was on a German TV broadcast of Aliens.  Despite it never being in any version of the film.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: SM on Nov 26, 2008, 04:31:28 AM
I'm not saying it is, but sometimes erroneous things get remembered as fact.  Many people still think Weyland Yutani came from Ridley Scott's neighbours names, which is wrong. 

:o I always thought that the name same from his two neighbours, that he didn't like...
Was he joking? I remember reading about this several times from several different sources through the years
and always thought that he was serious, on the other hand, I never heard him say it himself...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed