Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 280,926 times)

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: Omegamorph on May 30, 2017, 03:07:46 PM
I don't get what is so wrong with the David-creating-Aliens idea in light that this is a sequel to Prommmeeeetjes

I mean

that film burned whatever lore and mysticism the Aliens and Space Jockeys had, so how is David creating the Aliens any more offensive or detrimental than that? If people were fine with the Engineers, how is this any worse? The field was already charred before it

Correct. You can't really argue the space jockey reveal away and then complain about what David is doing.

I must have misunderstood. I was under the impression that the drawing in the ampule room proved that engineers existed well before the prometheus / SPaihts idea of them came about. I was under the impression that the engineer facehug in that mural was based on earlier artwork from Geiger that depicted engineers getting face hugged

AND THERFORE

The idea of bald himinoids existed well prior in Geiger 's mind.

I think I am mistaken. I always took this "acceptable" because of the lovecraftian look of those facehuggers as resembling the "old ones" , those octopus looking gods described by Lovecraft. Now I am not certain any anymore.

Prometheus opened such an array of possibilities. I loved that about it. But they have basically now shut those possibilities down to a David centric narrative. David should have been the audience's guide . Now he is the antagonist. For whom are we rooting now? Who is going to tell us about 'the superior species " he adored so much? 

Why has his motivations changed so much?

Perhaps the paradise engineers is similar to mankind. They lack the eerie black eyes.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Wait so what did SiL think of Covenant? SM?

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jun 02, 2017, 12:09:56 AM
Wait so what did SiL think of Covenant? SM?

Here's what Sil had to say.

Quote from: SiL on May 11, 2017, 04:51:33 AM
Spoiler
Aliens are derived from combining space wasps with black goo mutations/10
[close]

Good first half. Bad second half. Aliens felt like they were fan service and really shouldn't been kept out. Dumber characters than Prometheus, or at least, one person dumber than them combined.

Not sure what SM thought.

Predaker

Predaker

I'd say the deafening silence of SM in this part of the woods speaks volumes.  :D

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Well, regardless of what he thought, I loved it.

lv_226

lv_226

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 02, 2017, 02:38:56 AM
Well, regardless of what he thought, I loved it.
I was looking for your reaction after following your videos on YouTube. I am glad you liked it, too.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

In that case, here's my first impressions:

There's so much to discuss in regards to this film (or most films, when I watch them) but I feel like I really need to do a series with Alien: Covenant, where I devote each video to a specific aspect of the film, such as one pertaining to editing and another to characters or monster special effects, etc. With this video, I try to avoid going into specifics and analyzing the film at a thematic level, and explaining my reasoning behind the decisions that I make and arrive at, in regards to why I think the film is pretty damn great.

Caveat: I love Alien(s) and am not really a fan of 3 or Resurrection or the AvP films, but enjoyed Prometheus. Take that as you will.

I don't think I state it explicitly in the video but I consider Covenant is in the same strata as Alien and Aliens; it is of the same quality as those films, but is also partially removed from them in terms of structure and content, but not completely so. Some may condemn the deviation from the formula that made the first two films so excellent, but I didn't mind, and applaud Scott's courage and artistic vision.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Predaker on Jun 02, 2017, 01:10:42 AM
I'd say the deafening silence of SM in this part of the woods speaks volumes.  :D

Nah, I don't think SM tends to go to the cinema. He'll probably see it when it's out on home release. He'll be avoiding this board until he sees it, no doubt.

Hemi

Hemi

I think I read in Prometheus boards that he did go to the cinema. Or at least he was discussing it with the rest of the folk during it's release. Could be wrong though...

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Hemi on Jun 02, 2017, 08:11:12 AM
I think I read in Prometheus boards that he did go to the cinema. Or at least he was discussing it with the rest of the folk during it's release. Could be wrong though...

Maybe but i thought i checked his posts looking for his thoughts on the film and didnt see anything.

Hemi

Hemi

Sorry, was referring to Prometheus, not Covenant. Forgot to mention that. :P

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: oduodu on Jun 01, 2017, 11:12:48 PM
I must have misunderstood. I was under the impression that the drawing in the ampule room proved that engineers existed well before the prometheus / SPaihts idea of them came about. I was under the impression that the engineer facehug in that mural was based on earlier artwork from Geiger that depicted engineers getting face hugged

AND THERFORE

The idea of bald himinoids existed well prior in Geiger 's mind.

I think I am mistaken. I always took this "acceptable" because of the lovecraftian look of those facehuggers as resembling the "old ones" , those octopus looking gods described by Lovecraft. Now I am not certain any anymore.
Not quite. Spaihts came up with the Engineer idea combining it with Scott's post-facto 'suit' concept which he came up with around the 90s. The design of the Engineers was based on Giger's concept art for Alien, which had no bearing on the story -- the 'bald human' in Giger's concept had no relationship to the Jockey at that time. The Space Jockey was intended as a skeleton of an alien thing during production of 'Alien' and well after, until Prometheus came about

oduodu

oduodu

Omegamorph

Thanks for clearing that up. I am back to square one then.

Biggles

Biggles

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 01, 2017, 06:41:21 PM
thanks for your review biggles. .i had a very similar experience!

What's the phrase? 'There are dozens of us, literally dozens!'? Seriously though, happy to read that others did enjoy it. Excited but also scared to see how they tie things up with Alien - assuming Fox don't just reboot or recommission 'Alien 5'...

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 01, 2017, 07:20:28 PM
Quote from: Biggles on Jun 01, 2017, 05:53:41 PMFor me, this has somehow redeemed Prometheus.

See, I don't understand that viewpoint. I shouldn't have to watch another movie for Prometheus to be an enjoyable film. It should work on it's own. It doesn't, in my view, hence why I don't like it.

I mean you don't have to watch Aliens to thoroughly enjoy Alien.

I totally agree that you shouldn't *have* to, it's just a response I had to Covenant. And it has to do with my strong desire for Prometheus to have been an Alien prequel. Well, now it is - by default.

Hudson

Hudson

As of now, 191 people are saying this movie was 'good' or better, and 139 are 'it was okay' or worse. I can live with that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed