AvPR
132 (16.9%)
Predators (Added 2/12/11)
20 (2.6%)
The Predator (Added 27/07/20)
1 (0.1%)

Total Members Voted: 727

Author
Favorite Predator Design (Read 166,563 times)

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

IMO the best Fugitive ever looked, was as a prime 1 statue.

https://m.imgur.com/r06y6Vn

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Sol on Nov 30, 2020, 05:59:27 PM
I'm a little more forgiving about the mandible positioning, if the skin is right. Winston have us two dynamically different Pred designs, each with different mandible resting positions.

What was consistent was the skin holding it all together. Tight like a tiger.

Although there is some variation, I think ultimately the mandible resting positions were the same.

Compare that to this bad dream...

Quote from: The Shuriken on Nov 30, 2020, 06:12:11 PM

Neca's even looked better. *sigh*  It is frustrating when the collectibles look better than what was in the movie... :-[

Kradan

Kradan

sigh

I am sorry for what I'm about to do, I really am. But...

Spoiler
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 30, 2020, 07:28:37 PM
I am sorry for what I'm about to do, I really am. But...

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler

[close]

Kradan

Kradan

Your point ? I mean, besides "Crabators are terrible, boo ADI"

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

My point was how rude!   Now stop disrupting our important discussions about

;D

Sol

Sol

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 30, 2020, 07:22:23 PM
Quote from: Sol on Nov 30, 2020, 05:59:27 PM
I'm a little more forgiving about the mandible positioning, if the skin is right. Winston have us two dynamically different Pred designs, each with different mandible resting positions.

What was consistent was the skin holding it all together. Tight like a tiger.

Although there is some variation, I think ultimately the mandible resting positions were the same.

https://i.ibb.co/xjfhWjd/tumblr-nl7pj5-D1n-C1u1vwpho2-500-1.gif

https://i.ibb.co/kqpQkWZ/tumblr-or8kgl-RR9l1rp0vkjo1-500.gif

Compare that to this bad dream...

https://i.gifer.com/9ufG.gif

Quote from: The Shuriken on Nov 30, 2020, 06:12:11 PM

Neca's even looked better. *sigh*  It is frustrating when the collectibles look better than what was in the movie... :-[

Yea, they are very similar. Even in the film itself though, it seems to have at least two resting positions for City Hunter. His bottom two mandibles at times are almost completely vertical in some shots.

You know whats interesting is how the concept head sculpts of some of the recent Preds that have appeared on screen look far superior to the finish products. Wolf and Emissary being prominent examples.

I wish they would let the same artist who did these conceptual sculpts do the whole on screen costume. Steve Wang did that Wolf there, and we all know he's a FX God with costume work.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, indeed.

Quote from: Sol on Nov 30, 2020, 07:50:35 PM
Yea, they are very similar. Even in the film itself though, it seems to have at least two resting positions for City Hunter. His bottom two mandibles at times are almost completely vertical in some shots.

That's true. Somewhat slightly more so than what we've seen from the Jungle Hunter (but granted, we didn't get much of the Jungle Hunter unmasked.) But it appears that the Jungle Hunter could reproduce that vertical bottom mandibles look too if it wanted to... to the effect of stiffening a chin or bottom lip to us perhaps.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

In the case of Wolf I think it looked the way it did simply due to the animatronic. He looks a bit more alien since that's not Ian's eyes like on Scar and instead is just an animatronics. They also wanted the eyes to kind of sit like a predatory cat's if I remember correctly. But regardless it was to walk back some of the design decisions from Scar.

I can't remember if I posted it or if somebody else did but basically "the Predator is a character whom we should never see smile". AVP went a bit too far with the emoting and so while Scar connects with the audience he isn't exactly threatening since when he wants to look nice, he looks really nice, when he looks threatening he looks more cool then horrifying. For Wolf they walked that back but gave him a larger forehead as a result of including the animatronics. I think for the time it was even one of the bigger heads. Though while Wolf isn't ideal, he did seem to hit it off with people so I will give that one to ADI since his design has endured.

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

What is that hanging from the bottom left side of his mandible?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Predator drool. It eventually drips off.  ;D

Yeah SI, I think it was the Strause brothers that wanted Wolf to look more sloped and cat-like l believe...

To me it was lit with some decent sinister lighting that did a good job hiding its paint flaws on the homeworld...

Then looking really bad imo in the deleted scene...

Then went to hard to make out in the dark rainy battle.

For me, Wolf was cool with his mask on, and since he had that mask on for 97% of the movie and for that 3% it was hard to notice the crabator details, it's the ADI Predator I prefer.

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

Wolf had one of the coolest bio mask designs.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Agreed, my favorite mask with City Hunter's.

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

Chopper's mask design from AVP is another one of my favorites.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I sure thought the Celtic mask was cool when AvP came out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed