The Alien EXPLAINED

Started by The Old One, Jan 21, 2020, 10:32:22 PM

Author
The Alien EXPLAINED (Read 4,123 times)

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 24, 2020, 03:38:52 AM
As animal born one it's just a Sentry, as a human born one is just a Soldier. So apparently the Royal Egg and subsequently Royal Facehugger carries two potential "loads" of the Regular strain of Plagarius Praepotens, and one Royal "load" for it's primary function.

A bit disappointing, I had almost hoped it would be a reveal of something unique, but then again having one normal Xenomorph is fairly reasonable.

The Old One

The Old One

I think a thin line exists between confusing and complex, it's leaning into the former. I think for now, more is unnecessary. Although, I'm totally up for the Empress and the PredAlien. Or even whatever the Praetomorph perhaps turns into, if it does.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 24, 2020, 05:10:05 AM
I think a thin line exists between confusing and complex, it's leaning into the former. I think for now, more is unnecessary. Although, I'm totally up for the Empress and the PredAlien. Or even whatever the Praetomorph perhaps turns into, if it does.

That's for sure, but a little variety doesn't hurt. I'm curious if there'll be any more 'castes' coming up, like those seen in Aliens: The Hunt Begins for example. Some of those seem fairly reasonable additions, barring a little tweaking here and there.

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps, but ultimately, I'm alright with the information provided at this stage.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 24, 2020, 04:41:11 AM
It is in the current canon and continuity though, that's not up for debate or the subject of discussion. As I'm talking official, not personal. I'm explaining everything we know, but we don't know everything, so thematic adherence.
It's a subject that at it's core is built of adherence to the first three Alien films primarily but also, The RPG, the Prequels, The Cold Forge, and everything since.
By doing this, you're turning this into a "canon" debate (especially when talking about non-movie stuff in the movie forum). The "current canon" is a nebulous, amorphous concept at best, with a ton of grey area and room for interpretation. According to the last official Fox statement (or anything close to it), anything up to and including Out of the Shadows and onward is "canon", including the F&S/L&D crossovers and the Rage War; did you include those? What about the movie novelizations? The movie scripts themselves? The RPG references a ton of things, by proxy one could argue that they have been reintroduced into "the canon" - that includes the Kenner comics, the old Leading Edge RPG, and AvP2000.

Saying "this is the way it is" is just begging for people to say "no it's not" on the basis that you're citing sources that they disregard. As is their right to do so.. Like, what are you going to do? Force them to believe what you want?

AT BEST one could say your post is your personal interpretation and breakdown of the Alien based on sources you choose to accept. Saying it's based on "the accepted continuity" or "the accepted canon" presupposes that people accept it (or that they should accept it, or that they somehow "have to" accept it), or furthermore that you know Fox/Disney's "official" stance (and more importantly, that it matters).

TO CLARIFY: I'm not arguing what "is canon", and I'm not even disagreeing with (most of) your original post, I think it's fine. I'm taking issue with hinging it on some kind of "official canon" and expecting people to accept it without question.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Let's just define which specific entries are relevant to the conversation at hand. No official canon/headcanon talk.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 24, 2020, 04:32:56 PM
Let's just define which specific entries are relevant to the conversation at hand. No official canon/headcanon talk.
Yes, this, exactly. As long as you specify the parameters being used for discussion, "official canon" or whatever doesn't even factor in.

The Old One

The Old One

I really included everything that Alien The RPG, The Cold Forge and new material since don't contradict. It presupposes nothing, this is the way it is, nothing myself or anyone else can do about it. No, a reference does not therefore make that story canon, that's fairly obvious. It makes for example, a location with the same name canon, but nothing else. Everyone's got their own canon to a degree, but it's ultimately meaningless in the face of official canon, the basis for conversation that goes somewhere. If you're correct, and you're not, that no official canon exists then no common ground exists for conversation as everyone gets to choose what matters. Do you think that's the way it works internally- it's not- so it's not the way good faith conversation is externally.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

There's a lot wrong with that post but Hicks already made a ruling so there's no sense continuing the discussion here.

The Old One

The Old One

If you say so, I'd say your view on canon, it known often as... controversial. Personally I think when someone is engaging in group conversation though. Common ground to get a discussion going is a requirement to ensure it's consistent and fair. I'm just always discussing the latest entries myself, taking them at face value, prioritizing them over past entries, unless it contradicts the films, all the films that is, not just the ones people like, because behind the scenes or in front of the scenes, that's proven more often than not to be the case with the creatives.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 24, 2020, 04:44:34 PM
If you say so, I'd say your view on canon, it known often as... controversial. lol No offense.
"Controversial" doesn't mean "wrong", but to each their own. ;)

The Old One

The Old One

No... It certainly does not, but as you say, to each their own.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed