Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 840,985 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio

Wonderful.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Prez on Dec 14, 2022, 01:49:24 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 13, 2022, 10:29:45 PM
Quote from: Stitch on Dec 11, 2022, 08:58:59 PMIt's nearly Christmas, so Batman Returns

"Life's a bitch, now so am I."  8)

"Meow."
Michelle Pfeiffer as Selina Kyle

*horny penguin noises* by Danny DeVito

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Stitch on Dec 11, 2022, 08:58:59 PMIt's nearly Christmas, so Batman Returns

I do really like that film, but it's one of those movies that somehow manages to feel like much less than the sum of its parts. There's so much fantastic stuff in it, but overall it's just a bit of a mess. Like it's cramming in too many characters and subplots for its runtime.

The Penguin's story arc is the worst offender: He comes back to enact his vengeance on all the firstborn sons of Gotham - cool - but then he completely forgets about that for literally half the film while he runs for mayor, then when that falls apart he goes back to kidnapping the sons - a plan that ultimately consists of an old dude driving a road train around town hoping none of the parents or police notice while he slowly trundles from door-to-door stealing babies - only to have that scheme foiled about thirty seconds later (offscreen!) by Batman... and then suddenly he has an army of missile-launching penguins with which he's gonna destroy the whole city. Like, where the f**k did that come from?! And this happens with no preamble in the final ten minutes of the movie.

It's a shame because the cast are all absolutely on-point. Pfeiffer's transformation into Catwoman is one of the most gloriously disturbing sequences I've ever seen in a film.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Nah it's better than the first (yawnfest) by lightyears.

Kradan

Kradan

I can understand prefering one over the other but honestly I find your disdain for 89 movie just plain weird. Please correct me if I got you wrong

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Violent Night
So much fun. Though that wasnt the Bristol skyline lol

Identity (Theatrical Cut & Extended Version)

The 13th Warrior
still would really love to see the Eaters of the Dead cut someday

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 14, 2022, 04:20:22 PMI can understand prefering one over the other but honestly I find your disdain for 89 movie just plain weird. Please correct me if I got you wrong

It's boooring.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 14, 2022, 04:20:22 PMI can understand prefering one over the other but honestly I find your disdain for 89 movie just plain weird.

It's definitely a thing for people to try way harder at disliking something when it's popular with the masses.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I legitimately find it really dull, whereas I can watch Batman Returns twice a year

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 14, 2022, 05:01:39 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Dec 14, 2022, 04:20:22 PMI can understand prefering one over the other but honestly I find your disdain for 89 movie just plain weird. Please correct me if I got you wrong

It's boooring.

"Have you ever danced with the devil in a pale moonlight"

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 14, 2022, 05:28:38 PMI legitimately find it really dull, whereas I can watch Batman Returns twice a year

That simultaneously sounds often and not too often

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 14, 2022, 09:37:21 AM

I do really like that film, but it's one of those movies that somehow manages to feel like much less than the sum of its parts. There's so much fantastic stuff in it, but overall it's just a bit of a mess. Like it's cramming in too many characters and subplots for its runtime.

The Penguin's story arc is the worst offender: He comes back to enact his vengeance on all the firstborn sons of Gotham - cool - but then he completely forgets about that for literally half the film while he runs for mayor, then when that falls apart he goes back to kidnapping the sons - a plan that ultimately consists of an old dude driving a road train around town hoping none of the parents or police notice while he slowly trundles from door-to-door stealing babies - only to have that scheme foiled about thirty seconds later (offscreen!) by Batman... and then suddenly he has an army of missile-launching penguins with which he's gonna destroy the whole city. Like, where the f**k did that come from?! And this happens with no preamble in the final ten minutes of the movie.

It's a shame because the cast are all absolutely on-point. Pfeiffer's transformation into Catwoman is one of the most gloriously disturbing sequences I've ever seen in a film.
I think the kidnapping of the sons was a backup plan, and blowing up the city was a secondary backup plan.

Basically, he just wanted to be loved. His plan was to terrorise Gotham and then pretend that he's its saviour, thus gaining the love and respect that his parents never gave him.

When that went south, his backup plan was taking the firstborns, which he did at a time when he knew most of the socialite parents would be out, (correctly) presuming they would care more about their status (the party) than their children. Just like his own parents.

The blowing up the city part is just a last ditch attempt at ruining things for everyone.

I don't think they're all separate things that he thought of, it feels to me like that was all part of his plan from the start. He even says at the beginning that he has patience. I figured they were all just redundancies.

And all failed because of BatKeaton.

Last film I actually watched was Everything, Everywhere, All At Once.
Decent movie, pretty funny and clever, if a little heavy handed with its message. My mate said it was the best movie ever, and I don't think it's that good, but it's pretty decent.

First Blood

First Blood

Batman (1989)

Antoine got a little hot under the collar.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Stitch on Dec 15, 2022, 02:59:56 PMI think the kidnapping of the sons was a backup plan, and blowing up the city was a secondary backup plan.

Killing Gotham's firstborns is definitely his initial master plan, because the first thing he does upon "coming out" to the city is go to the hall of records and - under the guise of tracking down his parents - goes through the birth records and makes note of all the city's firstborn sons. Batman immediately smells something fishy (no pun intended) because he's keeping tabs on him and clearly doesn't believe he's sincerely looking for his parents.

But then when Shreck suggests Penguin take a run at mayor, and suddenly all that gets forgotten about for the bulk of the movie. Which would've been fine if the jump back to killing the children wasn't so badly rushed in the final ten minutes of the film.

First Blood

First Blood

I still love that they had a dude in a little Choo Choo driving around Gotham doing the kidnapping. Shits hilarious.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Last time I watched it I couldn't get over the fact that there's a character named Shre(c)k lol

Great movie!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed