Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 13, 2024, 12:24:45 PM

Author
Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel (Read 35,456 times)

Local Trouble

Ignoring the prequels is the path to elephant man.

Immortan Jonesy

oh!? 👏:o

....that would be beyond nice😍👉👈

GrimmVision

I don't know that Scott would be on board with producing if story elements and timelines actually clashed with what's already been established by the prequels and sequels. Or maybe I'll eat my words when we finally get a concrete feel for what this project is. :-X

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

I just had a thought that maybe the prequels aren't helpful to Hawley because he's privy to Ridley's intent for the final prequel story.

I've always felt that David is creating what he thinks is a masterpiece - "perfection", only to not understand that what he's actually doing is recreating perfection. The same sentiment has been echoed many a time from other fans. Even Covenant's novelization, based on an earlier script implies this. David wants ONE thing: To create. His whole personality, behavior, everything motivating him is based off of his desire to do so.

"When one note is off, it eventually destroys the whole symphony, David."

When Walter corrects him in Covenant, David doesn't even acknowledge that he misspoke giving credit to Byron for writing Ozymandias when it was actually Shelley who created it.

David's symphony is the "Entry of the Gods into Valhalla". Playing it on the piano is the first thing he does when he's born and it's the same song he plays at the end of Covenant after his victory. He thinks himself a God. But his symphony is off.

I still think that at the time of Prometheus, the Derelict has already been crashed on LV-426 for 2000 years, keeping that part of the story intact and allowing the prequels to be the "parallel" stories everyone involved in making them has been saying since the inception of Prometheus.

The Engineers found the Aliens hundreds of thousands of years ago out in the galaxy somewhere and have since been using the their eggs to obtain the black goo/mutagen for the continuation of their own technologies and enhancements. The Derelict was headed to the science outposts on LV-223 to drop off its cargo of eggs so the Engineer scientists there could continue their work of harvesting the mutagen. Something went wrong and it made an emergency crash landing on the nearby LV-426.

Think about it. How do you destroy David? Sure, you can rip his head off and render him immobile. But his mind and everything he believes still remains. The more important question is "How do you defeat David?" You prove to him that he can't create. You take away the very thing he's spent so much of his time believing he's capable of. The thing that makes him think of himself as a God. He'd go haywire and overload just from the very thought of it.

Boom, established lore from the original quadrilogy is intact and Hawley gets to have his way with the HULU series.

Acid_Reign161

I too have said I prefer to imagine David recreated / reverse engineered xenos from the pathogen...

But judging by Ridley's desires to put David in the Jockey chair, I'm going to take a wild guess that instead of rolling with the simplest option, it'd be something outlandish where the movie was going to end with him being defeated in the (soon to be) derelict on his way to Earth, by someone flying their ship into his sacrificing themselves (cause just like 3 lots of blowing a xeno out of an airlock, we'd have to have a repeat of Prometheus, right?) 🤣the derelict spiralling out of control into a natural space phenomena like a black hole.. as the g-forces kick in almost pulling the ship apart, David looks down as his chest starts convulsing, he smiles as a biomechanical burster pops... "The trick, Will Potter, is not minding that it hurts..." He lays back triumphant and the helmet closes around him. Final shot is the derelict spinning into temporal distortion ripping off the final shot of 'Event Horizon'... we're all supposed to be mind-blown that the Alien is both created by David recently, *and* Ancient by the time Alien happens, knowing it ends up crashing in LV-426 thousands of years in the past without showing it...

That's the kind of shit take I envision we'd have received. 🤣

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

Quote from: GrimmVision on May 03, 2024, 10:27:20 PMThe more important question is "How do you defeat David?" You prove to him that he can't create. You take away the very thing he's spent so much of his time believing he's capable of. The thing that makes him think of himself as a God. He'd go haywire and overload just from the very thought of it.

I think Ridley has already validated this idea.

At SXSW, while promoting Covenant, Ridley discussed AI and said:
QuoteCan you have a computer write a book? Or Write a screenplay? Or write a poem? It's always going to be very derivative and only based on what has been done in trillions of ways before.
https://movieweb.com/alien-covenant-director-cast-interview-scott-waterston-mcbride/

Granted, I don't think he's talking about the Alien movies here and he's discussing Chat GPT-type stuff. But still, he's saying right here that AI would be incapable of true, honest creation.

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on May 06, 2024, 06:29:17 PMI too have said I prefer to imagine David recreated / reverse engineered xenos from the pathogen...

But judging by Ridley's desires to put David in the Jockey chair, I'm going to take a wild guess that instead of rolling with the simplest option, it'd be something outlandish where the movie was going to end with him being defeated in the (soon to be) derelict on his way to Earth, by someone flying their ship into his sacrificing themselves (cause just like 3 lots of blowing a xeno out of an airlock, we'd have to have a repeat of Prometheus, right?) 🤣the derelict spiralling out of control into a natural space phenomena like a black hole.. as the g-forces kick in almost pulling the ship apart, David looks down as his chest starts convulsing, he smiles as a biomechanical burster pops... "The trick, Will Potter, is not minding that it hurts..." He lays back triumphant and the helmet closes around him. Final shot is the derelict spinning into temporal distortion ripping off the final shot of 'Event Horizon'... we're all supposed to be mind-blown that the Alien is both created by David recently, *and* Ancient by the time Alien happens, knowing it ends up crashing in LV-426 thousands of years in the past without showing it...

That's the kind of shit take I envision we'd have received. 🤣

See, I believe what you just described is the simplest option for the last prequel. It's been theorized for seven years to the point that we all actually believe it's what Ridley is planning to do: That he has such a love for David that he's willing to put him into the infamous chair. Even though, to my knowledge, he's never alluded to doing so whatsoever. I just cannot see that happening. No one wants it. And I do think Scott's smarter than that.

He subverted expectations with Prometheus. We expected something leading directly into Alien. He did it again with Covenant. We expected a story about Shaw and David. We expect he'll put David into the chair and make him the creator of the original Alien with the crew of the Covenant being the Derelict's eggs. We've had too long to think about this. And given that a final movie, even if it were green-lit today, would still be at least 3 or 4 years out, I'm positive he'll do something else from what we all expect.

Quote from: Nukiemorph on May 06, 2024, 07:48:35 PM
Quote from: GrimmVision on May 03, 2024, 10:27:20 PMThe more important question is "How do you defeat David?" You prove to him that he can't create. You take away the very thing he's spent so much of his time believing he's capable of. The thing that makes him think of himself as a God. He'd go haywire and overload just from the very thought of it.

I think Ridley has already validated this idea.

At SXSW, while promoting Covenant, Ridley discussed AI and said:
QuoteCan you have a computer write a book? Or Write a screenplay? Or write a poem? It's always going to be very derivative and only based on what has been done in trillions of ways before.
https://movieweb.com/alien-covenant-director-cast-interview-scott-waterston-mcbride/

Granted, I don't think he's talking about the Alien movies here and he's discussing Chat GPT-type stuff. But still, he's saying right here that AI would be incapable of true, honest creation.

^ YES! I agree. Scott's left us little interview clues here and there for years that all this is leading to him saying AI cannot authentically create, and that what AI does create is simply derivative. There's absolutely no point to Scott's comments in that interview if that's not what he's attempting to say in David's relation to the Alien.

Scott shows it in Covenant. David states he created perfection with the Praetomorph. That derivative, non-biomechanical Alien immediately fails and even gets distracted and attacks a non-lifeform, the cargo lifter's giant clawed crane, instead of just going straight for Daniels. The Queen in Aliens knew that it needed to get to the operator of the Power Loader, and not bother with the Power Loader itself. David's Alien was terrifying and animalistic, albeit imperfect.

Also, given that LV-223 and LV-426 both orbit Calpamos, it's wildly messy storytelling to have David backtrack all the way to that planetary system for the third movie just for him to then crash land on LV-426.

Prometheus and Covenant both opened with flashbacks and I can already envision the third prequel opening with a flashback 2000 years ago of a lone Engineer checking his stockpile of Alien eggs, putting them into stasis for the journey to LV-223. Something goes wrong or he makes a mistake and gets a little too close and he's ultimately facehugged. He wakes up and gets himself into the chair and as the Derelict enters Calpamos' orbit, he's chestbursted and the Derelict falls to LV-426's surface. Cut to crazy David on the Covenant still headed to Origae-6 thinking he's God ;D

Alien hasn't broken on-screen continuity for 45 years. Not to the point where it makes other mainline entries null. For Hawley to come out of no where with the first ever Alien series and decide to break the universe's established lore is crazy to me. Hawley didn't say he'd step on anyone's toes. He just said the prequels aren't useful to his project. That's why I believe Hawley knows what Ridley is up to, especially since Scott's producing.

Corporal Hicks

Acid_Reign161

Corporal Hicks

Thank you! Certainly a touchy subject, but not one we can't avoid!

Slutty Badger

I'm going with the RPG on this one - David created a variant of the Xenomorph, and NOT the genuine article.

Plus, Building Better Worlds outright states that the Engineers made the true Xeno - in one mission, a number of escaped Xenos were formerly exhibited in the Gallery of the Ages on planet Aljanna along with a proto-human, an Arcturian, and several Fulfremmen mutations.

BigDaddyJohn

God I miss the days when you don't needed someone to have made the Xeno...

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 08, 2024, 07:02:53 PMGod I miss the days when you don't needed someone to have made the Xeno...

Yup! I used to have fun imagining what kind of environment such a creature would evolve in... I always pictured a small planetoid on an large elliptical orbit like Senda in our solar system; Dark, cold, lifeless for centuries, until its orbit brings it close to its sun, and suddenly everything awakens from hibernation, and the world flourishes for a few decades; prey species fall host to ovomorphs, hives are established in deeper areas close to the natural warmth of molten magmar, and everything is done to prepare the next batch of eggs for the next cycle... as the planetoid drifts away from the sun again/becomes darker and colder, prey species hibernate, and the eggs lay dormant for centuries until the next full orbit. (That's how I pictured it as a kid) 😅

Local Trouble

And they were discovered by elephant man?

Acid_Reign161

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed