Empire's ALIEN COVENANT Exclusive Cover, and Image Scans Revealed!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Apr 15, 2017, 12:04:43 AM

Author
Empire's ALIEN COVENANT Exclusive Cover, and Image Scans Revealed!! (Read 143,059 times)

Enoch

Completely agree with everything you wrote.

Predaker

We haven't seen it yet but

Spoiler
we know from spoilers that David wipes out the engineers, and one of the test screenings didn't even include the actual bombing scene. The film will be portraying them as a decimated population either way.
[close]

Protozoid

Quote from: acidreign on Apr 16, 2017, 08:34:04 PM
Quote from: Protozoid on Apr 16, 2017, 08:03:26 PM
How are we supposed to care about John Logan's ten page treatment if it is guaranteed to be thrown out in the next 12 months?

In this one article alone, it begins with the filmmakers scrapping their original project for unknown reasons (boredom, by the sounds of it?) and going with a completely different approach.  By the end, we're supposed to be excited for the sequel they are planning?

That's just how the creative process works, dude.

Things change constantly for any number of reasons.

That said, Scott & co. definitely  seem like they're more confident in the direction they're going. Whatever that may be...
Does anybody genuinely believe that the return to the Alien branding is motivated by anything other than money?

This isn't about the creative process.  This is the opposite.  This is about the creative process being arrested, diverted, blocked, and manipulated into a product that stands in stark contrast to the one they've been promising for nearly half a decade.

whiterabbit

It's motivated by the fact that a shit ton of us want to see Alien movies and we're waving our money in the air. People don't make movies for free. They have families too feed and bank account to adorn. Everybody's time is valuable.

Elder-wolf

It will be too much hassle for ridley to bring the xenomorph back into the spotlight if he has engineers to deal with to.. so i think he has used a planet where these so called alien creatures that kinda look like engineers actually worship the true engineers, they are in no way the same size as the engineers we seem to know.. maybe they were the first take on creating life.. and turned out similar in feature to the engineers but not in size or intelligence. And i guess that is why they seem to all gather together to see the the ship shaw and david are on because they believe it to be the engineers they worship coming to visit.  The planet in question does not seem to very advanced.. and judging by the start of prometheus i believe the ship shaw and david are on are simply scout ships and ships for travelling here and there, because the mother ship from prometheus does not seem to pop up anywhere else indicating to me that we are not on their homeworld..so unless the planet has a population of millions which is does not, i doubt where on the engineers homeworld.

Predaker

Spoiler
Well, hopefully that will all be cleared up after David decimates the engineers out of canon.
[close]

SM

QuoteDoes anybody genuinely believe that the return to the Alien branding is motivated by anything other than money?

Does anybody genuinely believe that any Alien sequel is motivated by anything other than money?  Or indeed the original?

It's called show business for a reason.

Predaker

Quote from: SM on Apr 17, 2017, 01:27:07 AM
QuoteDoes anybody genuinely believe that the return to the Alien branding is motivated by anything other than money?

Does anybody genuinely believe that any Alien sequel is motivated by anything other than money?  Or indeed the original?

It's called show business for a reason.

Exactly.

Spoiler
RIP Engineers
[close]

MajorB

I'm of the opinion that the only reason it has taken so long to get a sequel to Prometheus out was that for a long time, the creative team were in denial that the only road they had left open for themselves was an Alien movie.

The black goo makes Xenomorphs. That's exactly what it does. We see the results of a black goo outbreak in Prometheus, and it results in a Xenomorph-like organism.

The whole goal of Prometheus, to create a franchise that "points away" from Alien and tells its own story, was a failure. The movie ends with Shaw and David going to the Engineer homeworld with a ship filled with Xenomorph-making-juice. There is no other sequel to that movie that is not at least somewhat similar to the situation presented in Alien: Covenant. Shaw and David left in the direction of an Alien movie and there is no way to write around it, so they embraced it.

Look, I love Prometheus. I hope there's some Engineers still out there who are gonne be pissed off about what happened to their homeworld. But this is the sequel we honestly should have expected given the ending of Prometheus.

If they really wanted to accomplish their goal, you know what they should have done? Put that Xenomorph mural next to the black goo room where there clearly was an outbreak. Nobody goes in that room, and instead they stumble into another room, with a different set of urns filled with a different black goo that makes a different Giger monster. That would have been f**king cool. The next best idea for a monster was already used for Species' Sil, but maybe they could have used this guy. it looks like a demon or a fallen angel, perfect for Prometheus' themes!

Necronomicon II

Quote from: acidreign on Apr 16, 2017, 11:49:23 PM
We don't know that they're one and done though!

I mean if David has escaped from Paradise at the end of Covenant (as indicated by test screening leaks) and is truly responsible for the existence of the aliens as we know them, then these prequels are going to have explain the LV-426 derelict. And if we're still going to do that we have to involve the Engineers and/or their technology somehow.

There's so much we don't know. It's getting ridiculous how presumptuous some of us are being. I think in this age of instant access to leaks and rumors we get a false sense of omnipotence and start thinking we can peer directly into the Scott Free production offices.

And some of us get bitter when the series goes in a different direction than the one we pictured in our head and consequently start assuming the absolute worst about everything. It gets suffocating and toxic after a while.

And the kicker is that none of us has even seen the finished movie yet!
This needs to be pinned.

Elder-wolf

Elder-wolf

I agree.. it should be pinned.

Petr Švancara

I said that myself a few comments down.

Aye

Petr Švancara

At the end of Prometheus, Dr. Shaw say, that she want to go where they come from, not to their homeworld. There was not mentioned even one word about something as their direct homeworld. Only in deleted scenes she say, that she want to go to paradise (who not) So, it is evident that planet where Covenant take place is another terraformed colony where is another race created by Engineers.
If the Engineers could create the Humans, then they can also create another different species. These humanoids are not Engineers, maybe that they have similar clothes like the elder Engineers from deleted scenes at the beginning of Prometheus, yes they have bald heads, but that does not make them Engineers. We see that these humanoids live in city that is different in the terms of design and architecture than anything that is connected to the true Engineers.
There are only some statues, in Citadel wee have the sculpture heads of the elder Engineers. In the center of the plaza we have similar landing ground like we see at the end of Prometheus.
And that is all, of course that in the whole movie we could see much more, but at this point, we can clearly see that these humanoids are almost like us, intelligent and organized.
I think that wee see mostly the parts of their own structures with only the small combination of some original aspects that Engineers have.
It seems that long time ago, Engineers leave them, and let them alone. Maybe that is the reason why they want to meet their own creators once again (in the case that they really know who created them).
I guess, they are thinking this is just another visitation, it is very important for them. They come to see it at their own eyes, even the landing ground opens for the Juggernaut ship. Later in the movie, we see that exact langing ground fully open.
And what about this new "Scorpion" ship? Is it the ship of the these humanoids? I dont think so.
Because if this is their ship, then some of them can survive the whole disaster. I dont know what to think about it, but it seems this "scorpion" ship could even attack the Juggernaut with David and Dr. Shaw on board. Perhaps this ship is there to defend the entire city, who know? Juggernaut ship crash-landed somewhere in the forests, this could mean that once the David start killing these humanoids, "scorpion" ship could respond on that with shooting. It should be logical.
If you remember the beginning of Prometheus, there was a huge circle-shaped ship. Once the Engineer drink the black goo, the ship flew away. Remember the movement of the ship moments before it leaves the planet? that ship flew straight-up. This "scorpion" ship here is standing similar like the circle-shaped ship once it leaving the planet, thats no coincidence.

I apologize for my English, Im from Czech Republic, Europe. English is not my language.
Thanks for reading this! Im waiting for this movie since the end of Prometheus. I love both Alien and Predator movies.

echobbase79

But wasn't there all kinds of different pitches from writers for a Prometheus 2? I remember reading a report on this site where there were going to be ten David's in the movie. I think Michael Fassbender was quoted as saying this.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: shawsbaby on Apr 16, 2017, 11:08:42 PM
There would have been plenty of ways to hint at the events leading up to Alien without hitting anyone over the head (and correcting the mistake of how frustratingly vague Lindelof left things).

I don't even think that it's that vague, honestly. We know the Engineers had a disaster with their bioweapons that destroyed their civilization - we've had Ridley hinting at that since 1979. Now we know a bit more about it and we know it happened across the galaxy. The end. To me that would've been more than enough to tell re: the events of Alien or on LV-426. If they wanted to explore aspects of the alien's creation re: the Engineers that would've been fine, but why insist on zeroing back in on the original planet, the original derelict and the original movie? Or
Spoiler
putting the alien's genesis, which is supposed to have been mythic, in the hands of another evil android who just now turned up only 30 years prior to Alien?
[close]

QuoteSo, yeah, what I'm seeing of Covenant seems like it will be fun to watch and well-made, but I suspect I'll remain disappointed they didn't take advantage of the framework Prometheus allowed for.

Oh, I think it looks like a blast and a fun time - it's impeccably made, clearly - and I expect to enjoy it as a spooky ride. But I'm just really disappointed the franchise is lowering itself to more direct prequels of a classic movie that really does not need them. I think it demeans the franchise and f**ks with the history to have aliens running around two decades before the Nostromo, and I think the idea of who may actually be responsible for them is really garden-variety and banal. Not saying Prometheus was perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but you can still do this kind of dark body horror and creepy Giger space monsters in a movie that goes to new places instead of retreading old ones.

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

Why are people continually saying throughout this entire thread that the humanoids we see in the article are the same as the Engineers from Prometheus? It's CLEAR that the Engineers had a very specific look, they all head the same face - marble white, roman god, statuesque, giants. These guys in the article are a little pink and a bit orcish looking. They aren't going to abandon that iconic look because they needed to keep things within budget..

It's still totally plausible that this is another civilization that the Engineers seeded, like mankind on Earth, but these humanoids have been in touch with the Engineers throughout the history of their civilization. The Engineers influenced and shaped their culture. Controlled experiment vs. experiment that is left to variables and chaos. We are the latter. We were left to go with the wind.

That's why we aren't seeing the Giger influence in architecture yet. That's why they seem a bit more primative. These guys have giant head stutues that they seem to prize and worship to a degree of the Engineers from Prometheus. If these guys were actually Engineers, why would they be looking to the sky in curiosity or surpise at the arrival of the ship? Ships leaving and arriving would have to be a regular occurance if they're a space-faring civilization, no? I think, because of their awe-struck reaction to the Juggernaut's arrival, the arrival of this ship is a special occurance and they probably thought it was the actual Engineers arriving. Maybe the Engineers check up on these guys every so often?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed