Space Jockey........Engineer or something else?

Started by palerider, Jun 26, 2017, 04:56:42 PM

Author
Space Jockey........Engineer or something else? (Read 30,891 times)

SiL

Yeah, they're on pedestals.

Quote from: Highland on Jul 01, 2017, 04:13:25 AM
I'm not sure the general audience would be sold on being told a whole bunch of stuff, then having the third film have bigger versions of everything because..... it all sounds a bit silly really. I think you guy's have got to let go this alternate SJ theory ( but I know you won't).

I would think most people going to see Awakening would have seen Alien and recognise the SJ. For those that haven't, I'm sure they'll be entertained enough by the action and gore.

Seriously though, how can this:

Become this?

The Engineer is a midget compared to the Alien SJ.

It can't even reach the handles

Let's forget about the teeth and tongue in the original as well.

Why do you dislike the SJ?

windebieste

One doesn't become the other simply because it's not the same individual.  You're argument is void.  lol.

-Windebieste.

Highland

Quote from: justind on Jul 01, 2017, 11:56:01 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jul 01, 2017, 04:13:25 AM
I'm not sure the general audience would be sold on being told a whole bunch of stuff, then having the third film have bigger versions of everything because..... it all sounds a bit silly really. I think you guy's have got to let go this alternate SJ theory ( but I know you won't).

I would think most people going to see Awakening would have seen Alien and recognise the SJ. For those that haven't, I'm sure they'll be entertained enough by the action and gore.

Seriously though, how can this:

I love the original SJ as much as anyone here. I just don't think there is a story now that doesn't take a lot of explaining that would also make it clear to the audience what is happening without some cheesy subtitle of the Engineers saying "Oh look it's our master and he's comeback for us midgets!" 

You guy's have been hanging your hopes on this for years despite the Director saying it and also the two movies showing it. There's zero evidence (or extended material) that hints at another Alien race.

I'll though that absolutely anything could drip out of Scotts brain at this point though so I can't say I blame anyone.

palerider

Quote from: Highland on Jul 01, 2017, 12:57:19 PM

You guy's have been hanging your hopes on this for years despite the Director saying it and also the two movies showing it.

We trive on hope, hope keeps us going, as you said no one knows what Ridley will do.......thats hope for us.
We waited 5 long years for AC......God knows how many years we will wait for the sequel....and that is if there will be one.

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 01, 2017, 12:20:23 PM
One doesn't become the other simply because it's not the same individual.  You're argument is void.  lol.

-Windebieste.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by your comment. I thought it goes without saying the Engineer in Prometheus is not the SJ in Alien. Even someone who doesn't follow the Alien series would know that. I was talking from a species and technology point of view, unless I'm missing your point?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: justind on Jul 01, 2017, 11:56:01 AM
I'm sure he doesn't, but what he means is - they're not going to make the original space jockey an alien thing because they've retconned that in 2012 with Prometheus. Unless it's retconned further down the line by someone else, Scott is sticking with the Engineers.

windebieste, please be a little less condescending with your comments. Thanks.

irn

Would people prefer it if the Engineers were descendants of humans rather than ancestors?

Like if the cave paintings in Prometheus were part of some big elaborate hoax to fund $trillion+ space missions for whatever reason.

whiterabbit

I'm still holding out hope that Ridley changes his mind "AGAIN" and makes the engineers the great impersonators of the Space Jockey race.

Totally possible guys; this is Ridley Scott we're talking about.

Doctor Ash

I hope and think that the SJ's and the engineers are not the same species. I find the SJ's are far more fascinating and mysterious.

But to play the devil's advocate, could the Jockey be the result of an engineer coming into contact with the black goo?

Highland

Quote from: Doctor Ash on Jul 02, 2017, 01:05:06 PM
I hope and think that the SJ's and the engineers are not the same species. I find the SJ's are far more fascinating and mysterious.

But to play the devil's advocate, could the Jockey be the result of an engineer coming into contact with the black goo?

No, black goo and Engineers make dead black gooey Engineers. It's not impossible though that the SJ instead of being a seperate species is something else David made/makes. I still think that's unlikely and the size difference and features have just been ignored for the sake of the story.

Doctor Ash

Doctor Ash

Quote from: Highland on Jul 02, 2017, 01:13:00 PM
Quote from: Doctor Ash on Jul 02, 2017, 01:05:06 PM

No, black goo and Engineers make dead black gooey Engineers. It's not impossible though that the SJ instead of being a seperate species is something else David made/makes. I still think that's unlikely and the size difference and features have just been ignored for the sake of the story.
Or maybe there are different kinds of goo. It could also be a question of how much and the kind of contact (touch or ingestion).

As seen by the different fates of the sacrifice engineer and Holloway in Prometheus and the engineers in Covenant.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

As things are now the Space Jockey could be

-an Engineer (creative liberties taken with size/design)
-a biological David
-a David "puppet" kitbashed from Engineer suits
-someone else in the suit

there's little to no chance of it being an alien thing; it's definitely not the intention or direction they want to take.

Doctor Ash

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jul 02, 2017, 01:44:18 PM
As things are now the Space Jockey could be

-an Engineer (creative liberties taken with size/design)
-a biological David
-a David "puppet" kitbashed from Engineer suits
-someone else in the suit

there's little to no chance of it being an alien thing; it's definitely not the intention or direction they want to take.
Sadly, seems to be true. Hope Ridley changes his mind.

dembones

That Jockey and the soldier Engineers could have shopped the same vessel dealership(s).

After so many retcons Scott could expand the Engr lifecycle  to include longer growth cycles to match longer life spans or something. A middle aged or
(or older) gigantic pilot would likely need the robust looking '79 chair

Part of the fun of this run of movies is watching how Scott plots the way to the 79 film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed