Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 21, 2019, 12:49:19 AM

Author
Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well? (Read 45,429 times)

Thatguy2068

Quote from: SM on Mar 27, 2024, 02:13:39 AMNo I was agreeing with SiL.
Still sus you Sussy Baka

E. Shaw

Just rewatched it. It holds up well. I forgot how much I like it.

The Cruentus

I do find it easier to rewatch than the prequels, if only because the lore is not as damaged by it compared to the prequels.

aliens13

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 27, 2024, 01:08:49 PMI do find it easier to rewatch than the prequels, if only because the lore is not as damaged by it compared to the prequels.
I never had anything against Resurrection, it's an unnecessary film? Yes, it is but it's better than any of both AvP and Prometheus and it's a fun movie

The Cruentus

If you take it as a parody rather than a proper entry, Resurrection is enjoyable.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 27, 2024, 01:08:49 PMI do find it's easier to rewatch than the prequels, if only because the lore's not as damaged by it compared to the prequels.

If find the pussification and gentrification of both the Alien and Predator infinitely more damaging than anything the prequels add. Visually and auditorily underwhelming as well. It also undermines the Alien as an entity if it has been successfully contained on Earth numerous times.

The Cruentus

I meant specifically to the lore regarding the life-cycle and biology of the alien. Other than the fast life-cycle and recycled design from rez, the alien in AVP is still an ancient creature, and not a lab experiment. Aliens being on earth is less damaging to me than them being a relatively new artificial creation. Just my own opinion here though.

There is plenty wrong with AVP, its just its easier to stomach for me when it comes to the Alien lore.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: aliens13 on Mar 28, 2024, 04:21:51 AM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 27, 2024, 01:08:49 PMI do find it easier to rewatch than the prequels, if only because the lore is not as damaged by it compared to the prequels.
I never had anything against Resurrection, it's an unnecessary film? Yes, it is but it's better than any of both AvP and Prometheus and it's a fun movie

The fun level is pretty high, but so is the dumb level.

Thanks Joss !

Nightmare Asylum

Whedon's script is not great but it's filled with interesting ideas, which Jeunet latches onto and expands and manages to make even weirder in execution than they were on the page. It's a gross, goopy, insanely pretty movie and though the tone and overall style doesn't totally click with what's on screen in the previous three entries, it's perverse in the way an Alien movie should be and it feels like a Dark Horse comic come to life in a lot of ways. It's pretty superfluous in the grand scheme of things in regards to how it slots into the overall world/story, but that's also part of its charm at this point, the extent to which it is so removed from what's come before. I've grown to really dig it over the years.

BigDaddyJohn

Pretty much exactly what I think. There are really good and vicious ideas in Whedon's script ( the clones scene), and really silly ones (basketball scene).

Neila

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 28, 2024, 11:35:36 AMI meant specifically to the lore regarding the life-cycle and biology of the alien. Other than the fast life-cycle and recycled design from rez, the alien in AVP is still an ancient creature, and not a lab experiment. Aliens being on earth is less damaging to me than them being a relatively new artificial creation. Just my own opinion here though.

There is plenty wrong with AVP, its just its easier to stomach for me when it comes to the Alien lore.

I could stand the bringing of the two universes together much less than anything that occurred in the prequels

SM

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 28, 2024, 11:05:46 AMIf you take it as a parody rather than a proper entry, Resurrection is enjoyable.

What does it parody?

The Cruentus

The alien franchise itself  :laugh: . Tone is more comedic, adds more over the top elements such as cloning, superhumans, supervillians etc. Hard to take seriously, so I enjoy it better when I personally consider it just a fun satire/comedy spin-off.

SM

How is cloning - something that was happening and in the news while Whedon was writing "over the top"?  Supervillains??

This must be some new definition of parody  wasn't aware of.

The Cruentus

Cloning doesn't work like that as far I know. The USM scientists, namely Wren is unnecessarily malevolent. It would presumably be far easier to use animals, not to mention it would not be as unethical as what amounts to multiple kidnapping and cruel and unusual death.

Like I said though, its my personal opinion. You don't have to like it.  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed