Predalien: Dreads or No Dreads

Started by Kradan, May 13, 2019, 05:37:20 PM

Do you like dreads as part of Predalien design?

Yay
37 (50%)
Nay
33 (44.6%)
No Predalien
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author
Predalien: Dreads or No Dreads (Read 15,514 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Dreadlocks are not necessary, just stick to the biomechanical aesthetics and Predator jaws. Too many fleshy-morphs already.

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

OK this one for on way too long Cancerback I'm sorry for wasting your time I did understand what she was doing it, I acted dumb and I was hoping that you would notice sarcasm but it's wasn't great sarcasm, it was a dick move of me to do that I'm sorry for that.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Personally I don't mind dreads at all. They give the creature more personality. Also we still don't know (or at least I don't) if dreads have some bigger purpouse in Predator's biology, maybe they have important role, so DNA reflex include them for Alien, because they are jus beneficial for Xenomorph.

BlueMarsalis79

If the human Aliens do not have it, then it is not really beneficial.

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 04, 2023, 05:35:18 PMIf the human Aliens do not have it, then it is not really beneficial.
I'm with Blue on this one. Predator dreadlocks Seems like it nothing more than just organic hair

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 04, 2023, 05:35:18 PMIf the human Aliens do not have it, then it is not really beneficial.

Human Aliens don't have it, because Humans don't have it :) Well, I don't know, Predators' dreads look like something more than just cool looking hairs. Of course original designer of Predator probably added them exactly because they look cool.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I know, but then you imply that certain creatures provide more benefits because of DNA Reflex than others, I do not like that personally.

AlienĀ³ and Aliens Phalanx work for me precisely, because they did not change the form or silhouette of the Alien whilst adding the influence and an ability of their host.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 05, 2023, 10:44:06 AMI know, but then you imply that certain creatures provide more benefits because of DNA Reflex than others, I do not like that personally.

AlienĀ³ and Aliens Phalanx work for me precisely, because they did not change the form or silhouette of the Alien whilst adding the influence and an ability of their host.

Well, in Phalanx Aliens that came from those digging animals had different claws and also could dig, so  they basicly got more benefits. I think that it makes sense that from creature with bigger amount of useful traits Aliens can inherit them. Isn't it the whole point of DNA reflex anyway? Getting the strenghts from hosts, adapting to new environment? I also like the idea that subsequent queen can carry on those traits even If hosts are different. It adds to Aliens adaptility, and gives more intent behind their actions.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Not a benefit necessarily but a slight deviation, it might have disadvantages as well as advantages, no the Alien should remain pure and take on traits on a case by case basis. Neither of my examples change it aesthetically either, the quadrupedal animal Alien still looks like one of H.R Giger's paintings and it's hands that can act as spades can still act as claws in the case of Phalanx.

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 05, 2023, 05:15:22 PMNot a benefit necessarily but a slight deviation, it might have disadvantages as well as advantages, no the Alien should remain pure and take on traits on a case by case basis. Neither of my examples change it aesthetically either, the quadrupedal animal Alien still looks like one of H.R Giger's paintings and it's hands that can act as spades can still act as claws in the case of Phalanx.

Question is, do we even know how pure Alien looks? Or even If there is such a thing :) In case of design I agree, it should be akin to Giger's work and nothing will beat original, but I like to see more deviation from it from time to time. For example, from recent ones I like the submorphs from latest Marvel comic. But consdidering adaptibility, its better for Alien to inherit as much useful traits from its host as it can. But going back to dreads, I think they fit with gigerish look, Sil even had something similiar as someone mentioned Below.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Dec 04, 2023, 10:45:11 AMPersonally I don't mind dreads at all. They give the creature more personality. Also we still don't know (or at least I don't) if dreads have some bigger purpouse in Predator's biology, maybe they have important role, so DNA reflex include them for Alien, because they are jus beneficial for Xenomorph.
Yeah this - dreadlocks might be more that mere hair - they bleed when cut, after all. They could be a sensory organ for all we know, and something so embedded in the Predator's DNA that DNA Reflex picks it up (just like the mandibles). There's no reason to believe PredAliens "shouldn't" have dreadlocks, that's a nonsense argument used to try and prop up one's personal aesthetic opinions.

BlueMarsalis79

It looks like shit and it always will.

It is also dumb from a logic standpoint.

As for "pure Alien" everything comes from this aesthetically speaking:

From a biological point of view, you do not want the Queen to take on traits of the host species, so that the potential progeny it creates can be as diverse as possible within useful parameters.

Local Trouble

Only soda-drinkers want dreads on their aliens.

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 06, 2023, 01:46:48 AMOnly soda-drinkers want dreads on their aliens.
Hey bubby I'm a soda drinker too you Dingus. Even then I don't think dreadlocks should be on predalien

Local Trouble

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Dec 06, 2023, 02:28:32 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 06, 2023, 01:46:48 AMOnly soda-drinkers want dreads on their aliens.
Hey bubby I'm a soda drinker too you Dingus. Even then I don't think dreadlocks should be on predalien

So not all soda-drinkers want dreads on their aliens, but anybody who wants dreads on their aliens is a soda-drinker.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed