Shane Black is doing a SEQUEL!

Started by Lemonade, Jun 25, 2014, 10:17:16 PM

Author
Shane Black is doing a SEQUEL! (Read 194,801 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 17, 2015, 05:55:06 PM
Wouldn't be the first time, they wrote The Monster Squad together and that's a great film.

"Wolfman's got nards!"

"Rudy, do you know any virgins?"

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Here's an interesting quote from Dekker from his facebook page.

QuoteI was asked by an executive today if our new PREDATOR will be a "re-boot." I told him I hate that term; it means something's not operating so you turn it off, then turn it back on. I should have said, "We're not rebooting, we're putting in a new operating system."

https://www.facebook.com/DirectorFredDekker/posts/624264101038245

Kind of raises a few brows here and there.. for me anyway.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Why? It just means it's a sequel...

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jun 17, 2015, 04:58:58 PM
https://www.facebook.com/DirectorFredDekker?fref=ts

That is his site, he posted a couple of Predator pics with commentaries, you can tell he's having fun.

Thanks.  :)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 18, 2015, 07:30:53 AMWhy? It just means it's a sequel...

Yeah, Black was pretty clear when it was first announced in the press as a reboot that it's going to be a definite sequel.

pred169

pred169

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 18, 2015, 07:53:03 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 18, 2015, 07:30:53 AMWhy? It just means it's a sequel...

Yeah, Black was pretty clear when it was first announced in the press as a reboot that it's going to be a definite sequel.
I missed that press release. are we talking about a sequel to the original?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

He didn't clarify. I'll see if I can dig up the quote.

EDIT: Here it is, from an article on Collider.

Quote"As far as Fred and I are concerned anyway," Black said, adding "Why start over, when you've all this rich mythology yet to mine?"  Black said he doesn't like reboots generally, but can "really get behind inventive sequels", noting that he likes "the idea of expanding and exploring the existing Predator mythology, rather than hitting the restart button."

So there you have it. No mention of which film(s) it's specifically a sequel to, but it's definitely not a reboot.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

It was just the way he said it, guys. I was mildly curious.  :-\

Corporal Hicks

How so? It doesn't read any different to what we knew already.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 18, 2015, 09:44:11 PM
How so? It doesn't read any different to what we knew already.

The whole analogy about the operating system. That's how.

I know it's a sequel.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I think Shane Black is taking too many complications to say something as simple as: Yes, it's a sequel. That is why it is inevitable to see this as a non-traditional sequel, as in the case of Predators or the upcoming Blomkaliens.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Crazy Shrimp, what do you mean by non-traditional in regards to PREDATORS and Alienkamp?  :-\

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Well, If my memory serves me, Predator 2 and the AVP movies were virtually ignored by Predators. And it is assumed that Alienkamp will ignore Alien 3 and Alien R (although with this last film we're not 100% sure). In Prometheus, Ridley Scott told us a lot of confusing things before the premiere. And at the end of the day the film ended up being an untraditional prequel.

But the point is that every time I see someone saying gimmicky things (instead of giving us a clear and simple message) I get the impression they are trying to do something unconventional with the franchise. Which is not necessarily bad, Don't get me wrong.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 18, 2015, 07:30:53 AM

Exactly, like Windows 7 to Windows 8. Same thing, but new.

Now transition to a Chromebook, there's your reboot.  :P

Anyway, I'm excited to see what this new Predator film adds to the universe. What new toys the Predator will be using this time since every film added a new improvement to match the ever progressing human prey.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jun 19, 2015, 01:36:43 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 18, 2015, 07:30:53 AM

Exactly, like Windows 7 to Windows 8. Same thing, but new.

Now transition to a Chromebook, there's your reboot.  :P

Anyway, I'm excited to see what this new Predator film adds to the universe. What new toys the Predator will be using this time since every film added a new improvement to match the ever progressing human prey.

Ok, you made a valid point there. Especially due to the fact that in the Predator franchise you don't have human mythology, so to speak (eg Ripley story in the Alien franchise).

So virtually you can do whatever you want with a sequel, since every single film works as a stand-alone movie.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Mind you Crazy-Shrimp, I do agree with you on your previous post in regards to PREDATORS and Alienkamp.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed