Sigourney Weaver Says ‘Ship Has Sailed’ on Fifth ‘Alien’ Movie

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Apr 26, 2023, 10:45:59 PM

Author
Sigourney Weaver Says ‘Ship Has Sailed’ on Fifth ‘Alien’ Movie (Read 19,339 times)

bobby brown

But James Cameron said it was Gangbusters!

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 27, 2023, 04:42:15 PM
Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Apr 27, 2023, 10:38:59 AMEvery last thing about the Blomkamp project looked and sounded absolutely abysmal, from the cast (sorry but we don't need to go the 'Halloween Ends' route)

You want someone other than the original actors to show up as Ripley and Hicks? :) Aside from them, we have no idea who the casting would have involved.

Nope, I don't want to see Ripley and Hicks at all. You just end up with a product that aims to ride on 'memberberries and turns out looking ridiculous, like having a ship completely crewed by pensioners in Star Trek as if that happens in any real life scenario... only these guys are going up against the perfect organism. No thanks. Age with dignity and pass the torch, nobody is buying 80-odd year old Ripley fighting a queen in an Alien suit (but 'member when she did that with a power loader, 'MEMBER??) 😂

QuoteWould heavily disagree with that. The derelict concept art was very in keeping with the feel of the first two films. The mutational stuff felt like it had the vibe of the fourth film's cloning experiments, while there's one shot, of an Alien in the shadows of an air duct, which felt like it would have been right at home with Dallas' fate.

It absolutely wasn't in line with the second movie, unless it self-repaired the heavy damage it sustained on LV-426 during Ripley's 57 year hypersleep 😅

QuoteWe also know Blomkamp outright stated that the presentation style would have emulated the 'Alien Isolation' game's, which everyone praised. If you're trying to get an idea of the aesthetics, just look the game up.

You and I definitely played a different 'Alien Isolation' - the one I played was completely loyal to the aesthetic of the first movie, perfectly maintaining the cassette-futurism look. There was nothing, not even remotely in line with that in the concept art presented. What was shown was massive open spaces, crisp clean sterile environments, soldiers that looked like your generic post-2000's sci-fi movie cliches with zero design elements carried from any Alien movie.

I will say I was down for some new creature designs (parasites etc). But everything else just came across as a poor fanfiction-like concept, like someone had played this story at 9-year old with his Kenner Aliens and grew up and thought it'd make a good movie. Concept art shouldn't be disregarded, as it's intended to paint a picture of what will translate to screen.

In contrast, it took just one set photo from Fede Alvarez's movie to get me excited yesterday, despite knowing very little. One looks like an Alien movie, the other did not.

TheBATMAN

Tim lebbon must also have details as I recall he said he had to alter elements of his Rage War books to fit with new lore Alien 5 was supposed to introduce.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 27, 2023, 09:12:44 PMTim lebbon must also have details as I recall he said he had to alter elements of his Rage War books to fit with new lore Alien 5 was supposed to introduce.

That's the first time I've heard of this

Quote from: bobby brown on Apr 27, 2023, 05:25:37 PMBut James Cameron said it was Gangbusters!

I love the man but after certain last two movies in a certain franchise he had a certain hand in certainly creating (which is certain) I can't certainly call him certainly trustworthy

Engineer

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 27, 2023, 09:26:53 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 27, 2023, 09:12:44 PMTim lebbon must also have details as I recall he said he had to alter elements of his Rage War books to fit with new lore Alien 5 was supposed to introduce.

Same here.
I remember in an avpgalaxy interview he was told he couldn't touch the engineers, so he came up with the dog alien things instead... but that dates back to his first novel Alien Out of the Shadows which pre-dates blomkamp's original Alien5 concept art post...

skhellter

skhellter

Do it as an animated feature.

Blompkamp has been doing full cg shorts as of late for Off the Grid. Use the Love Death Robots style.... full performance capture.

As an animation it'll be more easily understood as a piece that is "outside" the main continuity.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Engineer on Apr 27, 2023, 11:01:42 PM

Same here.
I remember in an avpgalaxy interview he was told he couldn't touch the engineers, so he came up with the dog alien things instead... but that dates back to his first novel Alien Out of the Shadows which pre-dates blomkamp's original Alien5 concept art post...

I also don't recall hearing anything about Lebbon, but I also haven't read the Rage War novels so maybe if something was said by him it just slipped by me?

What I do remember, along these lines, is Blomkamp saying that he had just one detail in his treatment/script that Ridley had asked him to change because it conflicted with what Ridley was doing in the prequels. And I know that for a time, the prequels cast a long shadow over what could/couldn't be done in the EU material.

Engineer

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 28, 2023, 01:01:27 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Apr 27, 2023, 11:01:42 PM

Same here.

I also don't recall hearing anything about Lebbon, but I also haven't read the Rage War novels so maybe if something was said by him it just slipped by me?

What I do remember, along these lines, is Blomkamp saying that he had just one detail in his treatment/script that Ridley had asked him to change because it conflicted with what Ridley was doing in the prequels. And I know that for a time, the prequels cast a long shadow over what could/couldn't be done in the EU material.

Yea Tristan jones had to make some changes in "defiance extra vehicular" at ridley Scott's request (directly from Scott too). And I remember big changes in fire and stone Happened as well.

ralfy

They've been perfecting technology to de-age actors, so they'll likely be able to do more in the near future, like just using an actor's likeness and voice to create computerized characters (with actors or estates paid licenses, of course). And beyond bluescreen and virtual sets, they'll likely be able to computer everything else, as well.

Given that, the problems won't be opportunities missed but the ff:

What new stories can they tell? At some point they'll end up like Walking Dead, Star Wars, Star Trek, Mad Max, and even Indiana Jones and more, i.e., with the same set of storylines but other characters, and generally melodrama (likely targetting the PG sweet spot) with action scenes but the same set of skins from the franchise.

Viewers will be saturated with same ole and will grow increasingly bored as producers try to milk franchises for what they've got. Probably hardcore fans and new viewers won't mind, but there won't be enough of them given so many new offerings per franchise plus franchises competing with each other.

Necronomicon II

With what I know I'll just say bullet well and truly dodged.

Engineer

TheBATMAN

Lebbon's quote was from his interview with AVPG for Predator Incursion.

AvPGalaxy – You made a comment about having to rework some aspects of the book in light of Neill Blomkamp's Alien sequel. What exactly changed as a result of his announcement?

Tim Lebbon – I can't really say, as I was given a run-down of the proposed Alien 5 storyline and how it might affect my trilogy. If I revealed anything, they'd have to kill me.

Kradan

TC

Quote from: skhellter on Apr 28, 2023, 12:47:15 AMDo it as an animated feature.

Blompkamp has been doing full cg shorts as of late for Off the Grid. Use the Love Death Robots style.... full performance capture.

As an animation it'll be more easily understood as a piece that is "outside" the main continuity.

Something like this?

Engineer

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 28, 2023, 07:08:51 AMLebbon's quote was from his interview with AVPG for Predator Incursion.

AvPGalaxy – You made a comment about having to rework some aspects of the book in light of Neill Blomkamp's Alien sequel. What exactly changed as a result of his announcement?

Tim Lebbon – I can't really say, as I was given a run-down of the proposed Alien 5 storyline and how it might affect my trilogy. If I revealed anything, they'd have to kill me.

I must have missed this interview... thanks for sharing

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed