Okay, one single question - go back for Jonesy or no?

Started by Facehugga1976, Jul 16, 2023, 08:01:03 AM

Author
Okay, one single question - go back for Jonesy or no? (Read 8,247 times)

Neila

That may be true, but it's just a guess.
initially there were at least a few marines left.
When she was looking for Newt, she was completely alone and she has absolutely no way of knowing exactly how many aliens there are and where.
You could call it a maternal instinct and she was probably ready to die for Newt, but in the end it was a typical Hollywood decision to heighten the drama.

Jonjamess

Jonjamess

Also if you go by the directors cut you can assume the sentry guns have eliminated a large majority of Aliens.

Ripley has a very rough general idea of how many aliens there were in total as there were 157 colonists. Assuming at least a few colonists died in the initial assault and the rest were impregnated. Then taking into account how many aliens died to the sentry guns and by the Marines themselves, plus the fact the aliens were likely still ransacking the colony looking for any survivors. Its a fairly sure bet Ripley was well aware there were likely only a few Aliens left guarding the nest at the time she went looking for Newt.

I think it's the leading edge board game, well the flash computer version. Where it says at the beginning of the last rescue mission that you need to keep an eye out for Aliens returning to the nest from their assault on Operations.

Such a great game! You can actually come out with everyone surviving but it's really really hard! You can rescue any kidnapped marines (that haven't been killed) on the final mission, as well as Burke and obviously Newt.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Neila on Mar 06, 2024, 12:53:36 PMYou could call it a maternal instinct and she was probably ready to die for Newt, but in the end it was a typical Hollywood decision to heighten the drama.

That's what Cameron was going for here, yes.

Neila

Quote from: Jonjamess on Mar 06, 2024, 01:18:05 PMAlso if you go by the directors cut you can assume the sentry guns have eliminated a large majority of Aliens.

There was no mention in the film that Ripley is going back to the nest because of this speculation. but it is certainly an understandable argument.

SM

Quote from: Neila on Mar 06, 2024, 12:53:36 PMThat may be true, but it's just a guess.
initially there were at least a few marines left.
When she was looking for Newt, she was completely alone and she has absolutely no way of knowing exactly how many aliens there are and where.
You could call it a maternal instinct and she was probably ready to die for Newt, but in the end it was a typical Hollywood decision to heighten the drama.

It's not a guess. The film shows us a hive full of Aliens earlier and largely empty later on and we know why it was empty.

Cosmic Incubation

I doubt very much that Ripley had an exact idea or was even trying to like calculate in her head how many aliens would be waiting for her. I feel like it doesn't really matter to her, since she considered even just one of those things a major threat. So I doubt it made much of a difference to her if there were even 5, 10, 20 waiting for her etc.

Even if there were a hundred in there, I fully believe she would have still tried to save Newt, not caring if she died trying.

SM

Very possible. But clearly one of these things is not like the other.

The major threat when Ripley goes in is the meltdown more than anything else.

Quote from: Jonjamess on Mar 06, 2024, 01:18:05 PMAlso if you go by the directors cut you can assume the sentry guns have eliminated a large majority of Aliens.

Ripley has a very rough general idea of how many aliens there were in total as there were 157 colonists. Assuming at least a few colonists died in the initial assault and the rest were impregnated. Then taking into account how many aliens died to the sentry guns and by the Marines themselves, plus the fact the aliens were likely still ransacking the colony looking for any survivors. Its a fairly sure bet Ripley was well aware there were likely only a few Aliens left guarding the nest at the time she went looking for Newt.

I think it's the leading edge board game, well the flash computer version. Where it says at the beginning of the last rescue mission that you need to keep an eye out for Aliens returning to the nest from their assault on Operations.

Such a great game! You can actually come out with everyone surviving but it's really really hard! You can rescue any kidnapped marines (that haven't been killed) on the final mission, as well as Burke and obviously Newt.

The old board game had a scenario where you do exactly what Vasquez suggested and go back in there and get them (ie. anyone taken during the initial ambush). Tried it a couple of times. Everyone died. Didn't even get halfway. 😄

SiL

That game was unforgiving.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Did they nerve gas the whole f**king nest?  I guess that wouldn't do Apone and the others any good.

SM

Preferable to getting chesterburstered?

Local Trouble

I don't know.  Is it like that nerve gas in The Rock?

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Mar 06, 2024, 10:00:17 PMThat game was unforgiving.
No joke. There's a Flash version of it on Newgrounds (or at least there was) and it's f**king ridiculous.

SiL

That's the only one I played. Survived Operations maybe twice.

SM

I found the physical boardgame a little easier - but only a little. The AP was do-able with maybe half the marines surviving.  Operations was flat out brutal.

Jonjamess

Operations level is pretty manageable if you think about how you set up your team turn order.

If you have Drake and Frost survived from the first mission they have flamethrowers, so put them as the last 2 marines to take turns and they can flame the ground blocking the Aliens giving you time to get your team into the air ducts. Then Drake seals the door and by that point most of your team is over half way or almost through the ducts.

Obviously put Newt as first in turn order and Ripley second as Newt needs to tell you which way to go in the ducts.

I find the last mission the hardest.

My record is everyone lived once except Dietrich who was left cocooned in the hive!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed