Alien Predator multi-format series

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Oct 27, 2020, 04:55:01 PM

Would you welcome an Alien Predator multi-format series?

Yes
7 (70%)
No
0 (0%)
Anime only
1 (10%)
Liveaction only
0 (0%)
Other style of animation
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author
Alien Predator multi-format series (Read 1,745 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Netflix is ​​developing a multi-format series based on Assassin's Creed. Sources say the project would include live-action, animated, and anime series. Then it occurred to me that a similar storyteller technique might be interesting in the Alien Predator universe.

IIRC, something similar has already been suggested in the forums and podcasts here on the site, sometimes drawing comparisons to The Animatrix.

So...what do you folks think?

Would you welcome an Alien Predator multi-format series?

Nightmare Asylum

I don't think I'd be interested in seeing one ongoing narrative split between two different projects with one being live action and the other animated, but I would definitely be into seeing something along the lines of The Animatrix or Halo: Legends or Love Death + Robots with a collection of isolated shorts from different creative teams, each using their own animation style.

SM

SM

They did a multi format series with Read-Watch-Play but people had meltdowns about Blackout and Fox never splashed enough cash for the animated series.

Immortan Jonesy

Perhaps you refer to the AVP anime? Yes, I remember it and heard about it again in the podcast.

https://twitter.com/avpgalaxy/status/1233862034296537090

I might be wrong, but by now we must know that with Disney ahead it's very unlikely. Or at least that one   :-X

SM

SM

No I mean the animated Youtube Isolation series, Blackout, the Isolation novel etc.

Immortan Jonesy

Oh I see.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Oct 27, 2020, 07:52:34 PM
They did a multi format series with Read-Watch-Play but people had meltdowns about Blackout and Fox never splashed enough cash for the animated series.

To be fair that a reaction to Blackout's platform, and the animated series' quality rather than a reaction to a transmedia narrative. As much as I loved Blackout, I can understand everyone's upset at not getting a proper Isolation 2. I really wish they'd have just gone with Axis. Shame they were too expensive for Fox.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some sort of multi-style anthology like Animatrix, Halo Legends or LDR. I'd love it! I also don't mind transmedia narratives. My problems with Read.Play.Watch were certainly about quality, rather than format.

SM

SM

They ended up being pretty happy with the animated thing. It got a decent number of views and likes. The ending that didn't get made though... 😭

Corporal Hicks

That said I still stand by the original footage in it that open and bookend the series. It was still a little on the cheaper side, but I still think that was pretty good looking. Glad Fox liked it though, I can't remember if we discussed their own take on the reaction or not. I definitely don't remember anything about an ending that didn't get made though!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 28, 2020, 02:22:57 PM
That said I still stand by the original footage in it that open and bookend the series. It was still a little on the cheaper side, but I still think that was pretty good looking. Glad Fox liked it though, I can't remember if we discussed their own take on the reaction or not. I definitely don't remember anything about an ending that didn't get made though!

Yeah, as someone that didn't like the series much at all, I did kind of dig the new footage. At the time it released, I downloaded the webseries and tried a little editing experiment to see if I could salvage the new footage as a standalone thing without being part of that weird cliffsnotes version of the game that the series ultimately wound up being. I don't think I really succeeded, the pacing feels off without the stock stuff to break it up, but it cuts together fairly well I guess.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 28, 2020, 02:28:29 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 28, 2020, 02:22:57 PM

Yeah, as someone that didn't like the series much at all, I did kind of dig the new footage. At the time it released, I downloaded the webseries and tried a little editing experiment to see if I could salvage the new footage as a standalone thing without being part of that weird cliffsnotes version of the game that the series ultimately wound up being. I don't think I really succeeded, the pacing feels off without the stock stuff to break it up, but it cuts together fairly well I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30W5qfm84BI

Watched   8)

Marc505

Marc505

I think I'd watch a series in any form if it concerned Aliens, Predator or AvP, I vote yes!

Must say, probably due to the vague similarities (mask, armour, wrist gauntlets etc) but every time I watch an episode of Mandalorian I end up daydreaming about weekly short episodes about a Predator travelling the galaxy on hunting quests.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Marc505 on Nov 13, 2020, 12:16:42 AM
I think I'd watch a series in any form if it concerned Aliens, Predator or AvP, I vote yes!

Must say, probably due to the vague similarities (mask, armour, wrist gauntlets etc) but every time I watch an episode of Mandalorian I end up daydreaming about weekly short episodes about a Predator travelling the galaxy on hunting quests.

Yes. A story like that can deliver an entertaining journey. Can it be done? I mean...Can you make a predator a relatable character to the point of making him the protagonist of the story? I have seen main characters who speak almost nothing, as is the case with Tartakovsky Samurai Jack  :laugh:

Now on the other hand, I'm not sure if that can be achieved with a liveaction. But if there is something I am sure of, is that it would be insanelly cool! to see a Predator roaming through space, hunting monsters, facing other intelligent aliens like him, etc. Mandalorian style  8)

I did a similar thread to discuss a hypothetical story where the Alien is the main character.

A story from the Alien perspective?

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 28, 2020, 08:47:45 AM
My problems with Read.Play.Watch were certainly about quality, rather than format.
Same here. Blackout was disappointing for what it wasn't, rather than what it was, and the expansion of Alien Isolation felt cheap and lacking.

The original game was amazing, with a sense of tension not felt in the series for a long time. Unfortunately they expanded upon it in what felt like the wrong way. It was like they missed the point of what made it so good.

Marc505

Marc505

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 13, 2020, 01:09:28 AM
Quote from: Marc505 on Nov 13, 2020, 12:16:42 AM

Yes. A story like that can deliver an entertaining journey. Can it be done? I mean...Can you make a predator a relatable character to the point of making him the protagonist of the story? I have seen main characters who speak almost nothing, as is the case with Tartakovsky Samurai Jack  :laugh:

Now on the other hand, I'm not sure if that can be achieved with a liveaction. But if there is something I am sure of, is that it would be insanelly cool! to see a Predator roaming through space, hunting monsters, facing other intelligent aliens like him, etc. Mandalorian style  8)

I did a similar thread to discuss a hypothetical story where the Alien is the main character.

A story from the Alien perspective?

That's an interesting thread and I agree there would be issues maintaining an Alien as the main character throughout a story without intertwining it with something else.

I do think you could manage a full length story/film with the Predator as the main protagonist though, as they're arguably easier to identify with now there's been so much humanisation of them (rightly or wrongly) as discussed in a different thread.

I'm always up for reading or watching anything that expands on Predator lore and canon, but a wider market for that probably doesnt expand much further than the residents of this forum!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed