My Problems with Prometheus 2

Started by predxeno, Nov 20, 2014, 11:03:52 PM

Author
My Problems with Prometheus 2 (Read 33,414 times)

predxeno

Well, my argument is that Prometheus contains a number of canon discrepancies between it and the Alien films, as does the AVP films, however fans are biased in that they prefer to nitpick the AVP films over every small detail but are less likely to do it to a film that is made by a legendary director in the field (even if it contains the exact same problems as the aforementioned films), this in turn increases the chances that said director would take advantage of their idolization of him for his own profits.

SiL

The AvP films have massive discrepancies.

Prometheus basically has Weyland. Which really only goes against the AvP movies.

FiorinaFury161

This thread has gone cray cray. Yall have fun...

predxeno

Quote from: SiL on Nov 23, 2014, 04:38:39 AM
The AvP films have massive discrepancies.

Prometheus basically has Weyland. Which really only goes against the AvP movies.

The same discrepancies that plague the AvP films also plague Prometheus.

SiL

There are no Aliens on Earth, no ridiculously sped up life-cycle, no ridiculously stupid brand new spanking life-cycle that comes the f**k out of nowhere, and no new Alien that has a ponytail and freakin' pecs despite no Alien ever having hair or muscles over their ribcage ...

How, exactly, are the discrepancies "the same"? Prometheus conflicts more with AvP than anything else, and they weren't trying to be in line with AvP.

predxeno

predxeno

The sped up Alien lifecycle was explained away with Predator tinkering with Alien DNA, the Predalien design was based on AVP2's (the PC game) depiction of them which nobody complained about when it was released. 

Also, you've neglected to mention the Weyland Corp. coverup of the Engineers' existence which is as far fetched as the U.S. military with Gunnison County.

SiL

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 23, 2014, 08:43:22 AM
The sped up Alien lifecycle was explained away with Predator tinkering with Alien DNA,
Not in the movie. Or even the novel.

Quotethe Predalien design was based on AVP2's (the PC game) depiction of them which nobody complained about when it was released.
Everyone complained, actually. It was an eyeless Predator with a second jaw and tail. There was a lot of bemoaning the design. Doesn't explain why it's like that in a movie when no other Alien has that design logic in the films.

QuoteAlso, you've neglected to mention the Weyland Corp. coverup of the Engineers' existence which is as far fetched as the U.S. military with Gunnison County.
No-one reported home. Prior to finding the "pyramid", no-one was even sure there was anything there. All but one person and an android died. The last survivor f**ked off on a spaceship, making one last recording that didn't necessarily get to anyone, just like Ripley's didn't.

I don't need to mention a cover-up because as far as the films are concerned at this point, there wasn't one.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

The sped up Alien lifecycle was explained away with Predator tinkering with Alien DNA, the Predalien design was based on AVP2's (the PC game) depiction of them which nobody complained about when it was released. 

Also, you've neglected to mention the Weyland Corp. coverup of the Engineers' existence which is as far fetched as the U.S. military with Gunnison County.

The film never said anything at all in regards to tinkering with the DNA. The Predalien's eggbarf thing (aside from just being repulsive shock value) makes absolutely no sense, even if you look at it as a young Queen. The young Queen is infinitely more efficient at spreading the population than the actual full grown version. And the design just rubs me the wrong way because of how Predator-influenced it is. The Aliens that came out of people didn't have people hair or skin coloring. That being said, I think the Strauses actually dialed the Predator traits back from what Fox wanted, so props to the for at least trying in that regard.

There really isn't a coverup in Prometheus. Weyland's mission was private with a crew that had no clue where they were going or why, so it is likely that nobody on Earth even knew what it was all about. The biggest loose thread is Vickers, since she had a high-up position in the industry. Maybe Her going missing will play into another film and have something to do with the merger between Weyland and Yutani. But there's really nothing to cover up about the Prometheus' mission to LV-223 because nobody knew what it was all about, unless a sequel comes along and says that they do. But even if some people at Weyland find out what happened, they don't have to tell the general public and the general public won't suspect anything. In the case of AVPR and Colorado, that was a nuke dropped in modern day America. Not the kind of thing that goes unnoticed. And there were survivors on Earth who clearly saw the Aliens. At least AVP made the effort to isolate the characters and events.

Prometheus definitely has its contradictions with Alien, but they aren't really in the same vein as the AVP films' problems other than the look of the Space Jockey/Engineer. With Prometheus, most of the "issues" stem from subverting a lot of the main themes of the original film and substituting them with Prometheus' ideas. Where Alien looked outward and presented us to a foreign and abstract world and creature and set of ideas, Prometheus literally brought it all back home and tied all of the origins together. It looked much more inward than Alien did and, while I do find Prometheus to be pretty interesting (even great in some ways), that is one of many parts of the film that really rubs me the wrong way. If you ask me, the Engineers were an interesting idea and I'm glad to see them on screen, but they never should have been the Space Jockeys.

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Nov 23, 2014, 03:13:50 AM
Why would the conference room have anything like the Prometheus? What possible good would it have done anyone to have the crew of the Nostromo's heads floating over the table? Why would Ripley's quarters, which are clearly cheap studio accommodation? The park bench maybe could've used a hologram, but again, just because technology exists doesn't mean it has to be used everywhere. They had actual plants and augmented it with a backdrop. Simple, quick, easy solution.

To add, we see this sort of thing in the real world all the time. My partner's GP office looks like it was transplanted from a failed ex-Soviet backwater. It's hideous and everything's old and "low-tech" and particularly dingy. My GP office, less than half a mile away from my partner's (and also on the NHS) is very swanky, with new computers, touch panel doors and a touchscreen check-in stall, the works.

Corporal Hicks

The DNA thing was made up by IMDB users, for a start. I wasn't around for AvP2's initial release but I have no idea where you got that Chet was based specifically on AvP2s version? It's certainly not mentioned in the ADI book. And you'll find that dreadlocks on the PredAliens has never been a liked aspect of its design.

And how is it far fetched? One of the most populated countries in the world has a nuclear device detonated in it...

Verse an expedition to a far off planet, mounted by a pair a scientists no-one believes, and they discover an alien species.

You seem fixated on the idea that everyone is personally attacking AvPR over Prometheus. You're aware that most people dislike Prometheus too, right?

predxeno

predxeno

QuoteNot in the movie. Or even the novel.

The AVPR commentary supports the claim though.

QuoteNo-one reported home. Prior to finding the "pyramid", no-one was even sure there was anything there. All but one person and an android died. The last survivor f**ked off on a spaceship, making one last recording that didn't necessarily get to anyone, just like Ripley's didn't.

I don't need to mention a cover-up because as far as the films are concerned at this point, there wasn't one.
and
QuoteThere really isn't a coverup in Prometheus. Weyland's mission was private with a crew that had no clue where they were going or why, so it is likely that nobody on Earth even knew what it was all about. The biggest loose thread is Vickers, since she had a high-up position in the industry. Maybe Her going missing will play into another film and have something to do with the merger between Weyland and Yutani. But there's really nothing to cover up about the Prometheus' mission to LV-223 because nobody knew what it was all about, unless a sequel comes along and says that they do. But even if some people at Weyland find out what happened, they don't have to tell the general public and the general public won't suspect anything. In the case of AVPR and Colorado, that was a nuke dropped in modern day America. Not the kind of thing that goes unnoticed. And there were survivors on Earth who clearly saw the Aliens. At least AVP made the effort to isolate the characters and events.

As previously mentioned, the Prometheus was a billion dollar ship; its disappearance would have raised questions as much questions for Weyland Corp. as the disappearance of an entire county would for the US government; an investigation would have been sent to determine just what happened to the Prometheus and said investigation would have found the crashed Engineer ship from the 1st film.

QuoteAnd how is it far fetched? One of the most populated countries in the world has a nuclear device detonated in it...

Verse an expedition to a far off planet, mounted by a pair a scientists no-one believes, and they discover an alien species.

I'm not saying one is more unlikely than the other, but that both are equal in regards of plausibility.

QuoteYou seem fixated on the idea that everyone is personally attacking AvPR over Prometheus. You're aware that most people dislike Prometheus too, right?

Not really, no.  I actually haven't met many of these people recently, all I really know is that the critics often use canon inconsistency to blackball AVP from canon but don't really do the same for Prometheus.  As someone who has often defended an all-inclusive canon, it's pretty frustrating to see one film (I like) destroyed by the fandom for one reason only to have another one (which I dislike) with similar issues walk away scot-free.  I readily admit AVPR was a seriously flawed film and I'd be more understanding if the same standards were held for both films, but this isn't the case.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 23, 2014, 08:03:38 PM
As someone who has often defended an all-inclusive canon, it's pretty frustrating to see one film (I like) destroyed by the fandom for one reason only to have another one (which I dislike) with similar issues walk away scot-free.

It's because Prometheus was produced by...

...BA DUM TSH!

SiL

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 23, 2014, 08:03:38 PM
As previously mentioned, the Prometheus was a billion dollar ship; its disappearance would have raised questions as much questions for Weyland Corp. as the disappearance of an entire county would for the US government; an investigation would have been sent to determine just what happened to the Prometheus and said investigation would have found the crashed Engineer ship from the 1st film.
That's all conjecture. You don't know what happens next. At all.

predxeno

It could be argued that you don't either regarding AVPR.  Regardless, the loss of a billion dollar ship containing the company's founder would raise some questions, it would be inconceivable that it wouldn't.

Valaquen

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 23, 2014, 08:39:03 PM
It could be argued that you don't either regarding AVPR.  Regardless, the loss of a billion dollar ship containing the company's founder would raise some questions, it would be inconceivable that it wouldn't.

We can extrapolate from history how people would react to a nuclear bombing. We're pretty clueless about the tribulations and fates of many ill-fated expeditions, however. Questions were undoubtly asked, but not likely to be answered.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed