Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 135,025 times)

The Cruentus

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 14, 2015, 05:00:55 PM
Ok, sorry if I sounded a bit harsh but I highly doubt the writers based the blooding from the comic books; as I said earlier, it wouldn't make sense to reference a story so old that I bet less than 50% of the people on this forum have even read it.  The only reason the writers would add an element like that in would be because they felt fans would be familiar with the concept enough to not be thrown by it, the AVP movies are what familiarized the general audience with the concept of blooding, not the comics.  Plus, none of the other titles in F&S reference comic specific events in their respective franchises so why would this one?

I hear its because Fox is trying ignore the old comics, not sure if its true or not.
Basically fire and stone is now the new collective universe,

RakaiThwei

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 14, 2015, 06:03:57 PM
I hear its because Fox is trying ignore the old comics, not sure if its true or not.
Basically fire and stone is now the new collective universe,

According to Dark Horse president Mike Richardson, they did say they were starting over. In fact, if you look in the Question and Answers Forums of Xenopedia, and look for Reboot Timeline, I had posted direct links and quotes from Richardson. They essentially New 52'ed everything, or more aptly.. did what Disney did with the Star Wars EU. Seriously Crue.. Look at that topic there.

predxeno

Can you put the link up for those who aren't too familiar with xenopedia?

RakaiThwei

Sure but keep in mind, this is a thread which has not really been answered in... several months.

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:27937

predxeno

predxeno

Thanks for the link, I wouldn't look at these comics as a complete reboot since there seem to be a LOT of varying opinions here and none seem to want to give a concrete answer on the issue, but it does seem that the AVP movies did play some small part in shaping F&S contrary to popular opinion.

RakaiThwei

For me they seemed to be a total reboot though some elements of the old have been carried over. But this seems to be a fresh and new take on the series. I think you and I can agree on that much but for me... the old stuff is where it's at. I liked it more when the universe was this big, dark, cynical and violent void which was as apathetic and uncaring as the denizens which lived in it.

As to whether or not the AvP movies played some part.. That depends on who you listen to. In the case of Paul Tobin and Scott Allie, they seem to indicate that none of the movies were ignored-- the AvP's included but Sebela seems to think otherwise and even stated so at a Comic-con panel. So it depends on whose word you take over the other.

But in my opinion... and taking some word from the higher up's, namely Richard and Allie's.. they New 52'ed it. Of course you are free to disagree with me. We agree on other things of course.  :laugh:

The Cruentus

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 14, 2015, 08:44:10 PM
For me they seemed to be a total reboot though some elements of the old have been carried over. But this seems to be a fresh and new take on the series. I think you and I can agree on that much but for me... the old stuff is where it's at. I liked it more when the universe was this big, dark, cynical and violent void which was as apathetic and uncaring as the denizens which lived in it.

As to whether or not the AvP movies played some part.. That depends on who you listen to. In the case of Paul Tobin and Scott Allie, they seem to indicate that none of the movies were ignored-- the AvP's included but Sebela seems to think otherwise and even stated so at a Comic-con panel. So it depends on whose word you take over the other.

But in my opinion... and taking some word from the higher up's, namely Richard and Allie's.. they New 52'ed it. Of course you are free to disagree with me. We agree on other things of course.  :laugh:

Your thread has finally been answered  :laugh:

I enjoyed the comics but canonwise they were ambiguous to me, I never thought of them one way or the other unless explicitly stated so or contradicted by a movie, so it might be good to have a reboot since they can try and keep continuity this time around without things going left, right and up and down all the time, I like the stories to be gritty and as realistcally as possible for science fiction, and not overly fantastical and borderline supernatural like its dipped its feet in before.

Perfect-Organism

I have now read the entire series.  Still not sure how I feel about it.  On principle, I feel that mixing predators and engineers seems a little lame.  It somehow demeans the Engineers as our theatrical creators.  However, if one were to write a story about predators and aliens and engineers, I guess it should be pretty much as dark horse did.  It was a fun read with ample twists and surprises.  Galago is irredeemable and yet you he's so compelling.  Eldon was really a weird and risky creation, but I think the writers and artists did a pretty reasonable job with him.  I will really enjoy retreading this series when the TPBs come out.  I hope that there will be a big omnibus as well as otherwise Omega would be left out of the TPBs.

I just hope we also get a set of comics which separates the Aliens world from the Predator world.  Sorry, but the AVP films ruined the AVP idea for me.

predxeno

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 14, 2015, 08:44:10 PM

I'd be reluctant to take anyone's word on "canon" or "reboot", the DH Press novels were also an attempt to reboot the series but every fan of the franchise on this forum (and every where else) don't see those stories as any different from the regular EU that's already out there.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

They were no such thing. They just didn't really acknowledge the old EU aside from Perry's book.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 14, 2015, 09:23:57 AM
True for the most part.. like.. 90% of the time but sometimes the book provides some details which movies don't. In the case of AvP, according to Xenomrph, the Aliens were genetically modified for accelerated growth. At least.. according to him. For me, that's good enough in some aspects but I wouldn't take most novelizations over movies anyway. Some parts.. but not all.

Could someone point to me that bit in the book that mentions this? Because as far as I can remember that excuse was some made-up bullshit by a user on IMDB. I cannot remember that being mentioned in the novelization.

HuDaFuK

The only thing I recall talking about sped-up Xeno breeding is the Resurrection novelisation. But the line didn't make the cut in the film.

predxeno

I think the book mentions that the machines were altering the Queen's body preparing it for egg laying, but there is no specific mention that they sped up the Alien life cycle, the AVPR commentary mentions it, however. :-\

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 16, 2015, 12:48:58 PM
Could someone point to me that bit in the book that mentions this? Because as far as I can remember that excuse was some made-up bullshit by a user on IMDB. I cannot remember that being mentioned in the novelization.

I recall Xenomrph saying that in the AvP Movie novelization thread and I also remember you asking him what paragraph and page it was on, and he said he would provide it. So far, he's yet to do that.

predxeno

I read the novelization too and there's no mention of it in there, that's probably why Xenomrph has yet to add the page numbers; the machines causing the sped up lifecycle was added only after fans complained about it in theaters which was long after the novelization was released.

HuDaFuK

I just read the novel a few weeks ago, and there was nothing about it that I recall.

As I said, the only book I can remember talking about sped-up Xeno reproduction was the Resurrection novelization.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed