Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 135,011 times)

Corporal Hicks

I believe Prometheus F&S is set sometime after Aliens so that wouldn't be the issue.

Russ

of course it is. scratch that.

happypred

The concept is child-like "constructs" (as opposed to adult-like androids) is not implausible. I just feel that the series should've provide some background on the distinction and how "constructs" fit into the Aliens/Prometheus-verse

The greatest flaw is the lack of development for either Francis or Elden. Francis is simply some selfish guy who takes advantage of a stupid robot, and Elden is that stupid robot. I like how Francis and Elden
Spoiler
make peace in the end
[close]
and that's about it.

Ultramorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 26, 2015, 10:13:01 AM
I believe Prometheus F&S is set sometime after Aliens so that wouldn't be the issue.

Spoiler
2219, so 40 years on from Aliens and Alien 3.
[close]

Quote from: happypred on Jan 27, 2015, 12:40:21 AM
The concept is child-like "constructs" (as opposed to adult-like androids) is not implausible. I just feel that the series should've provide some background on the distinction and how "constructs" fit into the Aliens/Prometheus-verse

The greatest flaw is the lack of development for either Francis or Elden. Francis is simply some selfish guy who takes advantage of a stupid robot, and Elden is that stupid robot. I like how Francis and Elden
Spoiler
make peace in the end
[close]
and that's about it.

I agree that FaS could have benefited from more room for character development. I almost find myself wanting DH to novelize FaS like they did with the comics back in the 90s. That would allow them to flesh things out quite a bit. Too bad that will never happen.

Corporal Hicks

That'd be up to Titan now - they hold the license. And since there is some sort of dialogue there...might not be too hard to think of as happening.

Russ

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 27, 2015, 01:11:09 AM

I agree that FaS could have benefited from more room for character development. I almost find myself wanting DH to novelize FaS like they did with the comics back in the 90s. That would allow them to flesh things out quite a bit. Too bad that will never happen.

This is what I was thinking too - also, with a novel, it wouldn't have to be as linear as the comics (eg, you could have a whole lot of chapters about the Predators and what they were up to) and of course, as mentioned a bit more motivation for each character (or at least some character's perceptions of the motivations of others).

I'd be up for reading that for sure.

I've been really impressed with Fire and Stone, but my lack of knowledge about the Predators is hampering me a bit. I think what little knowledge I have is a dangerous thing:

Spoiler
Essentially, all I can see is that they've fallen into their traditional intergalactic bullyboy routine of hunting lower tech creatures as per usual. Of course, the motivation of the one-eyed dude (is that Ahab?) is to fight the Engineer, but I guess the why of that is yet to be revealed.

I was really worried reading this comic as far as the whole AvP universe goes to be honest and how it extends beyond the movies. An AvP film is pretty much what we have had in the past (be it in space with marines or not) and that's good for two hours. Or two movies even - but extending the Yatjua (sp) beyond that -- for me at this time -- presents some problems. As I say, my big weakness here is the fact that I'm not versed in the EU - and even if FaS is a reboot/retcon, some of the "standard" or "known" things from the EU must have been assumed by the writers (the deeper hunter cultural aspects and all that stuff which I'm sure has been delved into).

But from what I'm reading in FaS, even with the trappings of Aliens and Prometheus, the Preds seem to be a bit of a one-trick pony. I'm also not sure of the wisdom of providing them with dialogue that we can't read - I bet that that's actually English written in the predator typeface, though. I wonder if someone has gone through the pain of translating it).
[close]

happypred

It pains me to say it...but I rate AvP Xenogenesis above AvP F&S (yes...AvP F&S is that bad)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: happypred on Jan 27, 2015, 10:18:34 AM
It pains me to say it...but I rate AvP Xenogenesis above AvP F&S (yes...AvP F&S is that bad)

You're that angry about the story?

bobby brown

I agree, F&S was shit.

Although I did enjoy reading it for what it was.
It was a long time since we got anything new at all, in terms of fiction.

But it's really laughably badly written.
The art is really good though, especially in the prometheus branch.

Ultramorph

The first review of Predator #4 is up, and it gets a 3/5. The writer avoids any major spoilers, but don't look if you want to go in blind.

http://bigcomicpage.com/2015/01/27/review-predator-fire-and-stone-4-of-4-dark-horse/

Visceral_Mass

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 27, 2015, 11:54:17 AM

Is he angry, or would it be more appropriate to say he was "that disappointed" with the story?

I personally was that disappointed with the story and find the majority of "old" stories to be superior.

Prometheus IS a part of the lore now, but that doesn't mean they needed to make it a HUGE part of the current story line for all four titles, especially given how divided the fanbase is over Prometheus.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Visceral_Mass on Jan 27, 2015, 03:04:09 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 27, 2015, 11:54:17 AM

Is he angry, or would it be more appropriate to say he was "that disappointed" with the story?

Some of happy's earlier posts are somewhat angry about that title.

QuoteI personally was that disappointed with the story and find the majority of "old" stories to be superior.

I haven't read them all yet - still need to go pick up my copy of AvP #4, Predator #3 and Predator #4 isn't out yet, I don't believe - but I thoroughly enjoyed Prometheus (even if I was disappointed at the lack of conclusion. I wasn't too impressed with Aliens but I've been enjoying both AvP and Predator.

However, I'm waiting until I've read the story to its final conclusion before I really judge the story.

QuotePrometheus IS a part of the lore now, but that doesn't mean they needed to make it a HUGE part of the current story line for all four titles, especially given how divided the fanbase is over Prometheus.

For writers it must be very exciting as it's inserted some very interesting new narrative toys for them to play with so I can understand them wanting to experiment. And on the whole - judging from the reviews and sale figures - they've done a good job so far.

Visceral_Mass

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 27, 2015, 04:04:28 PM
For writers it must be very exciting as it's inserted some very interesting new narrative toys for them to play with so I can understand them wanting to experiment. And on the whole - judging from the reviews and sale figures - they've done a good job so far.

I think this is where we disagree. I don't think Prometheus really opened up anything new, unique, or interesting for the franchise and by extension the writers, unless you consider tired old tropes from other sci fi franchises "interesting". But, then again, if a fan hasn't been exposed to the tropes, its new and unique to them.

predxeno

I actually appreciate how the writers have tried to fit Prometheus into the whole AVP universe, we had some pretty awesome things like:

Spoiler
a human-alien hybrid, a black-goo predator, and an upcoming predator vs. engineer fight
[close]

I think the thing I don't like about the stories is the underlying philosophies they are trying to impart.  I never thought I'd be saying this, but I think there is just too much philosophical debate and too few action scenes.  In the AVP arc, practically all the action scenes are underlined by Elden's or Francis's philosophical ideals.

Spoiler
I think I would have preferred an ending where Francis actually finds a way to cure himself, but instead there's an ending where he dies and he explains to Elden in his dying words his beliefs regarding life and death.
[close]

I suppose the philosophical nature of the stories add deeper thematic elements to the tales, however I think many of us AVP fans purchase these comics for the awesome fight sequences which is why all this philosophical talk is kinda detracting to us.

Quarax

Quarax

Quote from: Russ on Jan 27, 2015, 10:00:48 AMI bet that that's actually English written in the predator typeface, though. I wonder if someone has gone through the pain of translating it).

The font used in Predator dialogue isn't this one.

I've got no idea what they're speaking in the comics. Some of the monitors in the ship use the normal font, but it's just gibberish if you translate it into English.

One of the Predators either uses an "a" or "I" here. I'm guessing it's an a because of the letter's shape.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed