Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 135,019 times)

happypred

The face above is pretty awful. Mooneyham's Ahab looks f**king incredible in comparison. Not saying Ahab's face looks incredible in and of itself...but it actually looks like a predator face instead of a mutated spider face

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=24320

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 08, 2014, 11:29:50 PMEven if you touch a liquid, it still seeps into your body.

With humans, yeah. We've no idea what David's skin is made of. Perfectly plausible it's entirely impermeable.

predxeno

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 09, 2014, 10:46:30 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Nov 08, 2014, 11:29:50 PMEven if you touch a liquid, it still seeps into your body.

With humans, yeah. We've no idea what David's skin is made of. Perfectly plausible it's entirely impermeable.

The latest androids were designed to be as human as possible because many humans were uncomfortable working with fake humans; in Alien: Isolation, Samuels can be seen sweating during the opening cinematic so there's a good chance that David is more "human" than that.

Quarax

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 09, 2014, 04:36:41 PM

The latest androids were designed to be as human as possible because many humans were uncomfortable working with fake humans; in Alien: Isolation, Samuels can be seen sweating during the opening cinematic so there's a good chance that David is more "human" than that.

There is a 44-year gap in between Prometheus and Isolation.

Also, according to the Weyland site, "An advanced polyurethane coating replicates the biological properties of human skin to exact texture, pliability and tensile strength."

predxeno

I dunno, a LOT of the tech in the subsequent Alien films were complete garbage compared to Prometheus's technology.

SM

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 08, 2014, 11:29:50 PM
Even if you touch a liquid, it still seeps into your body.

Clearly not.

Spoiler
Quotein Alien: Isolation, Samuels can be seen sweating during the opening cinematic so there's a good chance that David is more "human" than that.

Thanks for spoiling that.

Ash sweats and he's a more advanced model than David.
[close]

predxeno

Oh shit, you still haven't played it yet?  My bad, SM. :(  I thought everybody knew, many of the game's reviews were already pointing it out.

Ultramorph

I picked up the digital copy of AvP# 2 the other day, and this was definitely a mixed bag. My full thoughts, with spoilers, are below.

Spoiler
First off, I have to agree with people that the art in this issue was disappointing. That's strange, given the fact that I liked the art in issue #1 quite a bit. Here, though, I think we're seeing a bit of "middle issues artwork decline"; my guess is that the final issue will look much better. The Predators do look too clean, but my biggest complaint is that the visual storytelling with them isn't nearly as strong as it was in the previous or in Predator #1. I kept finding myself going back to earlier pages and looking at helmets to try and keep the Predators straight. I did have to laugh when the accelerated Predator's armor grew in size with him. It must be made out of the same materials as the Hulk's giant purple pants.  :laugh: Otherwise, I am looking forward to seeing how the Predator's grotesque evolution unfolds.

The xenomorphs are just plain sloppy here. I'm fine with this comic being more about Elden and black goo shenanigans, but it would have been nice to have a bit more, well, Aliens vs Predators in this AvP comic, and it would have been nice if what we had gotten had been a bit more dynamic. But I guess since the xenos were an afterthought in the script, it makes sense that they would be an afterthought in the art.  :-\ Also, Elden asking the xenos if they know where Francis is just came off as ludicrous to me. Maybe it was just how bluntly he asked.

As far as the writing goes, for me this issue was on the borderline between crazy fun and just a plain old mess. I'm starting to think that the AvP leg of Fire and Stone will basically be like Gremlins 2: it will just keep throwing in more and more crazy stuff and upping the ante until it reaches critical mass and implodes in on itself. Whether this will happen in a satisfying way, or whether it will be a repeat of the final three issues of DotS, remains to be seen.

I didn't mind Elden's monologue as much as other reviewers, but I do agree that this issue, like Aliens #2, would have benefited from less exposition dumping. This issue says a lot without really adding much to the story or the mythology, and I'm beginning to have the same creeping sense of dread that I had when I realized the Prometheus movie only had ten more minutes left and wouldn't be answering any of the questions it raised. I have my fingers crossed that Fire and Stone kicks it into a better gear in the second half.

I guess my biggest problem was that this issue just keeps adding new elements that I'm worried won't pan out. The scene where the Predator bloods Elden is interesting, but the mediocre framing and art really killed it for me. So the weird plants that spring up in Elden's path are actually parasitic, and the accelerant does heal Francis, rather than mutate him? Or will he start to mutate in some horrible way later? Will the accelerated Predator story-arc go anywhere interesting? Are we going to have a repeat of Galgo and Ahab's relationship with Francis and the surviving Predator? If Issue 3 and 4 turn out to be good, this issue will look better in retrospect, but as it stands, the lackluster art and and "throw everything at the fan!" storytelling left a bad taste in my mouth. It wan't a terrible issue, but I expected better after liking issue #1 so much.
[close]

The One and Only

I was under the impression that all the equipment, including David, were high end on the Prometheus Expedition. And as John Hammond said frequently in JURASSIC PARK, "We spared no expense.", as we saw with the surgical suite. It wouldn't surprise me David was built to be a little more hyperallergenic, or be proofed against contracting or carrying any pathogens. In case he needed to perform any medical procedures on Mr. Weyland. 

SM

David was the latest model android at that point.

Elden  is quite a few generations beyond that.

Quarax

Quote from: SM on Nov 09, 2014, 09:43:45 PMThanks for spoiling that.

It wasn't really supposed to be a secret anyways.

SM

Don't recall seeing it mentioned in any pre-release material.

Quarax

Quote from: SM on Nov 10, 2014, 05:30:21 AM
Don't recall seeing it mentioned in any pre-release material.

Yeah, I found that strange, but the first time you talk to him in-game he makes it pretty obvious.

SM

Spoiler
When?  I watched the intro when they meet while she's welding something and didn't see anything that would give it away.
[close]

Quarax

Quote from: SM on Nov 10, 2014, 05:39:55 AM
Spoiler
When?  I watched the intro when they meet while she's welding something and didn't see anything that would give it away.
[close]

Spoiler
In-game. You walk up to him and he says he doesn't need as much sleep as the rest of them.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed