"If it bleeds, it leads."

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 27, 2014, 06:43:38 PM
"If it bleeds, it leads."

Which is quite depressing.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I hear you. I've spoken to a number of journalists who say it's an unfortunate truth about the industry. Media outlets aren't interested in "good news" because they're considered fluff.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 28, 2014, 06:54:26 PM
I hear you. I've spoken to a number of journalists who say it's an unfortunate truth about the industry. Media outlets aren't interested in "good news" because they're considered fluff.

Good news / bad news... I think the problem is investigative grown-up mainstream journalism today, or the lack thereof. It's more like fanning the fire, then try to bring things to the table when it's too late since the table burned up already, then sneak away to the next emerging fire, hoping it will burn longer, brighter and hotter than the last one. Another problem is how much more politicized (U.S) media has become the last 15 years or so. There has always been bias, but the way things are right now it is kind of starting to look ridiculous. These days I read/watch a lot of foreign news online since it is usually not nearly as bad as let's say CNN or FOX News (should the latter even be considered news rather than Tea Party propaganda?).

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

The media is only one part of the problem. The other part is that the general public, for all of its protesting, all of its hashtagging, yada yada yada...it just. Doesn't. Care. That. Much.

They don't.

People are too lazy to actually affect change and do something meaningful.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 28, 2014, 08:58:37 PM
The media is only one part of the problem. The other part is that the general public, for all of its protesting, all of its hashtagging, yada yada yada...it just. Doesn't. Care. That. Much.

They don't.

People are too lazy to actually affect change and do something meaningful.

Not true. I've been to plenty of protests etc. and people are working really hard. Full dedication. The problem is that no one listens unless there is a sex scandal or violence involved - then the media is on it like hot cakes, and thus they tend to "report" for the wrong reasons, or completely misses what it is all about, ignoring any kind of deeper dialogue. All in the name of delicious sensationalism and egged on outrage.

And you are right about that social media is indeed a scourge as it takes the focus away from the cause, community and the movement and instead redirects it to people/individuals and their 21st century egos. That and the fact that people are overstimulated, socially/mentally exhausted and stressed out like hell and have the attention span and memory of three-year old. Instant gratification, constant entertainment and superficial short-term happiness is as addictive as it is dangerous, and you can make big bucks on it while keeping the population perfectly content and docile. As long as enough people make insane amounts of money on the way things are there won't be any change anytime soon.

Mainstream media, if it was more independent and journalistic, as it should be, technically has the potential to be a game-changer and a positive force that could work for the people instead for Big Business and politicians with powerful, greedy friends. Unfortunately the latter owns mainstream media.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I wouldn't give so-called "independent" media that much credit. Every media outlet, regardless of how independent or free it is, is presenting an angle just like a mainstream source would.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 28, 2014, 10:57:48 PM
I wouldn't give so-called "independent" media that much credit. Every media outlet, regardless of how independent or free it is, is presenting an angle just like a mainstream source would.

Of course there is going to be an angle, but there is good and bad journalism, ways of reporting and how you treat a subject. Being "independent" doesn't guarantee that - in fact I expect less from "free/independent" media as it has less impact on society and thus less of a societal responsibility than mainstream media, which has a tremendous amount of power, and makes serious impact, but usually takes very little responsibility as money is on top of the list.

My favorite media/news program is Democracy Now. It is incredibly left-wing but always invite plenty of people of opposing views and lets them talk without interrupting or belittling them. They go for investigative journalism and always present things in a wide range of grays, never skipping historical context and political complexity, always referring to sources etc. There are no obvious bad guys or good guys, the focus is on reporting and investigating what has happened even if it blows up in the face of lefties and liberals. However, in the end, there is no doubt that Democracy Now is a progressive/liberal show, yet still it tries to stay professional rather than pleasing or rallying, or agitating, its crowd.

Hubbs

Hubbs

True.

Topazora

Topazora

Japanese Asteroid Probe to Fish for Ingredients of Life

I certainly it goes well and they make some amazing discoveries.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Hubbs on Nov 29, 2014, 04:35:53 AM
True.

Nice jab.

Why would they use that photo first page other than to discredit yet onother unarmed black teenager killed by yet another policeman getting off the hook without any reprocousions? I don't know? Blaming the victim to divert atention from the fact that an unarmed kid was killed by a really lousy officer who shouldn't be in the police force? Now that won't piss people off, and rightfully so. Exactly the kind of unprofessional Molotov cocktail sensationalism that is clogging the newsflow already.

Plenty of kids pose and take pictures like that (like my nephew and he is a lilly white suburban upper middle-class boy) these days. Is that a reason to cap them six times, or does it only apply to those horrible blacks that you despise so much you can't even contain yourself?

Keep on trollin', Hubbs...

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Nov 29, 2014, 06:34:09 AM
True.

Nice jab.

Why would they use that photo first page other than to discredit yet onother unarmed black teenager killed by yet another policeman getting off the hook without any reprocousions? I don't know? Blaming the victim to divert atention from the fact that an unarmed kid was killed by a really lousy officer who shouldn't be in the police force? Now that won't piss people off, and rightfully so. Exactly the kind of unprofessional Molotov cocktail sensationalism that is clogging the newsflow already.

Plenty of kids pose and take pictures like that (like my nephew and he is a lilly white suburban upper middle-class boy) these days. Is that a reason to cap them six times, or does it only apply to those horrible blacks that you despise so much you can't even contain yourself?

::) Isn't that sensationalism on the other side of the fence, an easy exit.

By the way that pic is off Facebook.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Hubbs on Nov 29, 2014, 06:41:16 AM
True.

Nice jab.

Doesn't matter if it's from Facebook or not - still sensationalism etc. Cheap and doesn't bring anything to the table other than more fuel to the fire.

All the evidence points to the fact that Wilson didn't follow the procedures once, and he fired 12 rounds without care in a populated area, killing and unarmed teenager, shooting him 6 times. That makes him a lousy cop. No?

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Nov 29, 2014, 06:54:55 AM
Quote from: Hubbs on Nov 29, 2014, 06:41:16 AM
True.

Nice jab.

Doesn't matter if it's from Facebook or not - still sensationalism etc. Cheap and doesn't bring anything to the table other than more fuel to the fire.

All the evidence points to the fact that Wilson didn't follow the procedures once, and he fired 12 rounds without care in a populated area, killing and unarmed teenager, shooting him 6 times. That makes him a lousy cop. No?

Not really, he could just be inexperienced in such serious incidents, he may have just flapped and lost control due to nerves, who can say. Plus the unarmed teenage you keep mentioning over and over was attacking him so. If you attack an armed cop chances are...well its obvious.

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

Officers are trained to fire until the suspect is down and not moving, not to wound. When an officer pulls out his gun it's to kill. This is the first time in his career he's ever had to use a gun, and other than this incident he has a spotless record.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed