In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,407,359 times)

Sabby

Sabby

So, a group of people who love banging on the 'don't judge my appearance' and the 'I'm being cyberbullied' drums in tantum proceed to... judge this mans appearance... with online lynch mobs...

Um... am I the only one seeing the hypocrisy here? It's not like he was wearing a "f**k the Cook" apron guys, it was a shirt with women on it. Stylized women. Yes, we can definitely argue it's a tacky shirt, and very unprofessional, but anyone who thinks the guy walked out on stage covered in petrol and tossed a zippo lighter to the audience is, I'm sorry, a damn fool. Yes, he tripped on stage, he doesn't deserve to be lit on fire.

f**k, the guys just landed a probe on a comet, and almost immediately after he has to make an apology video where he seems genuinely sad. I'd be sad to if I spent all this work achieving something of real value and was immediately dragged down by these f**king crafted glass hypocrites. It's like society has collectively decided "Hey, scientific achievement, that's great and all, but ya know what's really important? My hair trigger sense of moral outrage, for I am a child in an adults body. Placate me, or else"

f**k anyone defending this backwards nonsense.

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

We land a probe on a comet and people want to bitch about a shirt? People need to calm down its a f**king shirt, get over yourselves...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Nov 18, 2014, 11:06:21 PM
Once again...

QuoteHow naive do you have to be to think that someone wouldn't point it out?

It doesn't matter who complained - the fact remains such a shirt shows a remarkable lack of professionalism on someone's part.  You might be able to get away with wearing it in some work environments, in many others you wouldn't.  That's neither here nor there.  Only an idiot would wear it when representing their employer in front of the worlds media to talk about such a remarkable scientific achievement.

Sorry, but I'm more interested in what the man accomplished rather than what he's wearing.

SM

SM

What you're interested in could not be more irrelevant.

It's about professionalism and corporate image.  The shirt detracted from the professional image ESA would wish to project.  It was a dumb mistake to have the guy front the media.

But once again, it seems some are too naive to appreciate that and act surprised when people disproportionately complain online, as if this sort of thing has never happened before.  And then obliviously join in by complaining about the complaining with just as much vitriol.

BANE

BANE

It's not about how unprofessional his shirt is though, is it. It's the manner in which it's unprofessional. Nobody would give a shit if it had superman or batman or the cast of FRIENDS or even Calvin and Hobbes on it. Nobody would even mention it, nobody would think to speak about it. Yet those are all unprofessional, no?

It's an entirely separate issue from being unprofessional. The guy could wear cargo shorts, socks and sandals and a Hawaiian shirt and NOBODY would bat an eye besides one or two sticklers, and even then it would be lighthearted. It's simply because it was a drawing of a woman with very little clothes on.

I'm not surprised. Just dumbfounded once again haha

SM

SM

The scantily clad women is what makes it unprofessional in this circumstance.

It's not even remotely comparable to some licensed shirt or a Hawaiian shirt.  I wear Hawaiian shirts into the office on the odd Friday.  I couldn't wear what this guy wore though.  And I couldn't wear casual clothes if I had to meet with clients.

Hubbs

Hubbs

The shirt was fecking awesome, the landing was even more fecking awesome and the dude wearing the shirt is just a fecking God damn superstar in my book  ;D I wanna shake that man by the hand.

PC people for feck yourselves.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/boris-johnson-condemns--shirtgate--critics-120740592.html

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

No one who matters is talking about "shirtgate". Only reason I know it exists is the hooligans on this site who give it attention.

Bottom line is, as SM has so nicely put, he dressed unprofessionally whilst in a professional environment.

As an aside, I f**king hate all these "noun-gate" things. As though this is in anyways comparable to political espionage.

Topazora

Topazora

So, Russia is going to create an alternative wikipedia website for their citizens since:
QuoteAnalysis of this resource showed that it is not capable of providing information about the region and life of the country in a detailed or sufficient way
and
QuotePresident Vladimir Putin has branded the Internet a "CIA special project", and the Kremlin has said it must protect its online realm from threats from the West
also
QuoteSince August, bloggers in Russia with more than 3,000 followers must register with the Moscow's mass media regulatory agency and conform to rules applied to larger media outlets.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/14/us-russia-wikipedia-alternative-idUSKCN0IY1YT20141114

That seems to be a little totalitarian, maybe?

SM

SM

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Nov 19, 2014, 04:56:31 AM
No one who matters is talking about "shirtgate". Only reason I know it exists is the hooligans on this site who give it attention.

Bottom line is, as SM has so nicely put, he dressed unprofessionally whilst in a professional environment.

As an aside, I f**king hate all these "noun-gate" things. As though this is in anyways comparable to political espionage.

Woe betide if Bill Gates ever provokes internet outrage.

Or Roger Waters.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

"Roger Waters review controversy on Bill Gates-owned publication"

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Sagittarius on Nov 19, 2014, 05:01:46 AM
So, Russia is going to create an alternative wikipedia website for their citizens

Wrapping up to save space
since:
QuoteAnalysis of this resource showed that it is not capable of providing information about the region and life of the country in a detailed or sufficient way
and
QuotePresident Vladimir Putin has branded the Internet a "CIA special project", and the Kremlin has said it must protect its online realm from threats from the West
also
QuoteSince August, bloggers in Russia with more than 3,000 followers must register with the Moscow's mass media regulatory agency and conform to rules applied to larger media outlets.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/14/us-russia-wikipedia-alternative-idUSKCN0IY1YT20141114
[close]

That seems to be a little totalitarian, maybe?

Jesus - emphatically yes. When commentators suggest Putin wants a return of the Soviet Union, I've always laughed it off, because you'll have a hard time finding a more committed capitalist. But with suppression of free speech along with dictatorship, hyper-conservative ethics and aggressive expansionism, it really does seem he's committed to those principals of governance.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Gazz on Nov 18, 2014, 09:42:03 PM
Quote from: BANE on Nov 18, 2014, 09:40:21 PM
This whole thing is stupid.

And entirely avoidable.

Unfortunately this is very much the case. As SM said earlier, it's about professional appearance.

I very much admire the man and everyone at ESA and Rosetta for what they've done. But unfortunately we live in a world where "appearance" means a lot - because there's a lot of people out their to offend. He definitely did not deserve the abuse he has been given and I find it ridiculous that they took it to that level but there is a reason most places ask you for a shirt and tie or a plain t-shirt. To avoid shit like this.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

He did it for the f**king attention.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 19, 2014, 09:33:07 AMBut unfortunately we live in a world where "appearance" means a lot - because there's a lot of people out their to offend.

I really think we care far too much about offending people. We spend so much time trying to placate every child who discovers they can Tweet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed