In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,408,079 times)

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

That isn't hard to learn, Rong. But the point is, unless you're a total dolt, you get to see how big government functions in a way. There are lots of different processes you can observe and learn from, both administratively and personnel-wise that can teach you a lot about how giant, sprawling government institutions function. I learned so much during my service that helped me better understand a governments mentality and how it approaches things.

It can help you understand lots of things, like Social Security, FEMA, pretty much any lumbering thing created and/or managed by government.

And Cvalda, I guess I would be primarily speaking to males then. The female experience in something like the Army is of course going to be different, but I have very limited experience with being a woman. ;) Still, women fought for the right to serve and now they have more freedom to pursue more careers than they ever had. Most of the women I knew were officers or had much better jobs than I did. It's a kinder, gentler Army, much different in structure and more advanced in accommodating and being sensitive to all types of issues than it ever was in the past.

I mean they have to, they have to sell it like everyone else. If it really were some laughable Alex Jones class-warfare trap bs some of you make it out as, they wouldn't have to sell it so hard and fight just to keep numbers up. Ever talk to a recruiter? Their jobs are difficult as hell and do nothing but get more difficult.

If you get bored sometime, go read about suicide rates among military recruiters. Do yourself a favor beforehand and understand said suicides aren't from 'felling guilty about feeding poor john and mary into the sausage machine.'

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I wasn't trying to be anti-military, but there are recruiters who will sell you anything.  Its just part of the process.  Got to do your own homework before you enlist.

Recruiters have quotas to fill and I don't know whether its true or not, but if they don't I've heard they can get counseling statements and the like for failing to do so.

I researched the hell out of FO when I was set to join....when I didn't qualify because of vision I had not looked at any other part of the artillery team so when the recruiter leaned back in his chair and told me FDC was just like FO, I took his word for it.  Still on me, and this sergeant wasn't the one I had been dealing with through the rest of the process (that sergeant went to OCS) I won't pretend what he said wasn't complete bullshit.

It was depressing moping around Burleson Hall all day and seeing the FO guys come back from the field.

My battery is closing and becoming a transportation company and this affords me the chance to get a different MOS since I didn't want to be an 88m so it all worked out in the end. 

Still I would advise anybody considering enlisting to know their shit better than I did before going in. 

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 07, 2014, 05:30:29 PM
Most of the women I knew were officers or had much better jobs than I did. It's a kinder, gentler Army, much different in structure and more advanced in accommodating and being sensitive to all types of issues than it ever was in the past.
Aside from the whole 15% of female war veterans test positive for sexual assault trauma thing, which is basically one in five. There are many violent rapes from men on men, too.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOqpv45tIo

^on Netflix, have a look.

It's a vile, toxic broculture centered around masculism and perpetual conflict. Yeah, I think I'll pass.

BANE

BANE

Compared to I believe 1 in 6 in the general populace, which is 16.67%. So you're actually safer in the military, if that stat I pulled from Wikipedia is correct.

Cvalda

Cvalda

1 in 5 is a higher percentage than 1 in 6, BANE.

BANE

BANE

15% is less than 16.67%. 1 in 5 is 20%.

Is it 15% or 1 in 5? They aren't the same.

Rong

Rong

Quotebroculture centered around masculism and perpetual conflict.

Lol your kinda selling it to me here.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Damn sure safer being in the military than you are living in Chicago.

It's not a laughing matter, Cvalda, but it's also not exactly a surprise. Saw that doc on Netflix, will have to give it a watch in spite of its disgusting subject matter.

Quote from: Rong on Mar 07, 2014, 05:53:09 PM
Quotebroculture centered around masculism and perpetual conflict.

Lol your kinda selling it to me here.

Time to sign up for Rugby team. :laugh:

and I have to ask, did you just make up the word 'masculism' or is that a legit term? Sounds like a bad Pokemon.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Its more like 1 in 6.5.  Still too high a number.

I don't agree that the military fosters such actions in its culture.  I've never had the rape bitches brief since I've been in.  The majority of briefs I've had about women in the military is not to talk to them.  At all.  Just stay away.  But this is coming from a combat arms unit that has just opened to females.  I have no idea what integrated units are like since I haven't served in once since basic at Ft. Jackson and then nobody has time to do anything.

I DO think the Military during times of war doesn't screen people well enough and lets both the stupid and the morally bankrupt people in and doesn't hold itself accountable for those people's actions.  Come down hard on the offenders and set an example.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: BANE on Mar 07, 2014, 05:52:23 PM
15% is less than 16.67%. 1 in 5 is 20%.

Is it 15% or 1 in 5? They aren't the same.
Larger breakdown of statistics:

Spoiler
According to a 2011 Newsweek report, women are more likely to be assaulted by a fellow soldier than killed in combat. In 2010, according to the Department of Defense's Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office there were 3,158 military sexual assaults reported, however the Pentagon's statistics say that that represents just 13.5 percent of the estimated 19,000 assaults that actually occurred that year.[11] During that period, 575 of the cases were processed having found to be within military jurisdiction and with sufficient evidence. Of the cases processed, 96 went to court-martial.[1] Another investigation found that women were 3x more likely to report an incident, with one in five females and one in 15 males in the United States Air Force, reporting a sexually assault.
[close]

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 07, 2014, 05:55:04 PM
and I have to ask, did you just make up the word 'masculism' or is that a legit term? Sounds like a bad Pokemon.
Masculism is an actual term.
"Masculism or masculinism may variously refer to advocacy of the rights or needs of men; the adherence to or promotion of opinions, values, attitudes, etc. regarded as typical of men; or, alternatively, an approach that is focused on male superiority to the exclusion of women."

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Yeah I should add that for context. I was also in an all-male unit, and a fairly high speed one so the general caliber of individual was much, much higher than your standard line infantry unit. I heard horror stories you wouldn't believe (but never about rape, mind you.)

So yeah, what few women we did see were either officers, Air Force (the smart ones lol,) or these mythical fleeting figures that would sometimes appear with slightly different bumps beneath their fatigues.

And Cvalda, is that the counter-term for feminism? Does the definition for feminism have both advocating for gender rights and focusing on that gender's superiority to the exclusion of the other gender in the definition?

That seems loaded as f**k, and I'm more than a bit offended. I'm a masculist all day, but that in no way and will never mean that I think men are superior to women and we should send them all back to the kitchen.

Edit - that made it sound like I was sitting here with the red-ass being offended. :laugh: Not really, just stating my reaction. I'm not actually that offended just thinking out loud lol.

BANE

BANE

Alright, 1 in 5 it is then.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 07, 2014, 06:02:14 PM
And Cvalda, is that the counter-term for feminism? Does the definition for feminism have both advocating for gender rights and focusing on that gender's superiority to the exclusion of the other gender in the definition?

That seems loaded as f**k, and I'm more than a bit offended. I'm a masculist all day, but that in no way and will never mean that I think men are superior to women and we should send them all back to the kitchen.
Feminsim means advocating female equality.

Masculism means advocating male superiority, or the promotion of specifically male values at the exclusion of others, because men already have the advantage in society.

Sort of like how black rights has an obvious meaning of oppressed people trying to get some equality, and white rights signifies a racist motherf**ker.

Rong

Rong

Lol ^ dat Cvalda bias

Cvalda

Cvalda

Hey, I didn't make the language.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed