In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,408,298 times)

SiL

SiL

As someone who lives in a country with gun control:

Gun control does not mean no guns. Guns are still available, and legally. It just means there's a shitload more limitations on who can have them, and how they can go about storing them. Admittedly, these laws might be a bit extreme -- my friend can't have a certain Megatron figure because its transformation is classified as a replica weapon, and he can't have that without a safe to store it in -- but the people who want guns, and are capable and willing to use them sensibly, are more than allowed to possess them.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

I have been a responsible gun owner for over a decade.  I can get to it really fast if someone twice my size, high on drugs, breaks into my house and heads towards my 10 year daughter's room.  People should have the right to protect themselves however the means.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SiL on May 08, 2013, 10:47:18 AM
-- my friend can't have a certain Megatron figure because its transformation is classified as a replica weapon, and he can't have that without a safe to store it in --

You must be referring to the classic G1 figure. That's absurd in any event. Can't he just show it to the proper authorities and prove it's a toy?

Cvalda

Cvalda

my friend can't have a certain Megatron figure because its transformation is classified as a replica weapon, and he can't have that without a safe to store it in
:laugh:

The safe law is probably there to keep the adult owner of said toy from open embarrassment.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Cvalda on May 08, 2013, 06:36:41 PM
my friend can't have a certain Megatron figure because its transformation is classified as a replica weapon, and he can't have that without a safe to store it in

The safe law is probably there to keep the adult owner of said toy from open embarrassment.
Well, that's not very nice.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Cvalda on May 08, 2013, 06:36:41 PM

Open embarrassment of what?

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on May 08, 2013, 05:23:31 PM
I can get to it really fast if someone twice my size, high on drugs, breaks into my house and heads towards my 10 year daughter's room. 
Happen often where you are?  :P

Rick Grimes

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

When I was a kid, we called it play fighting. Jesus...

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

I use to use my whiffle bat as a rifle when we would play army. As far as I am aware I haven't shot anyone "irl" yet.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

And I used to point my fingers in the shape of a gun when playing make-believe with my friends. I haven't killed anyone irl...yet, muahahahaha ::)

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: Valaquen on May 08, 2013, 07:42:14 PM
I can get to it really fast if someone twice my size, high on drugs, breaks into my house and heads towards my 10 year daughter's room. 

Nope.  "It's like having a condom.  Better to have one and not need one, than need one and not have it."   :P

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 08, 2013, 01:02:21 AM
I'm somewhere in between on the whole mess.  I'm not pro gun just because I can be pro gun.  I don't consider myself paranoid, I don't have a bunker in the woods with supplies and generators waiting for the end.  But I can see where those guys are coming from when there is constant talk of changing an amendment to the constitution.

But they aren't talking about changing the 2nd amendment, which has been held hostage by the NRA for way too long. It's the NRA that has violated the 2nd amendment much like the Talibans have violated the Quran.

QuoteMore patriot act esque bullshit is constantly being pushed on the table (SOFA, CISPA) and the Obama administration buys a redonkulous amount of ammo not for the military, but for homeland defense.  As well as gives those guys MRAPS etc.  What the hell does Homeland Defense and FEMA need with MRAPS and other military grade hardware?

I was going to write a long one here, but this video clip kind of sums it up if you have the time and will to listen to this lib. The interesting stuff starts around 2:40:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jip20ZVHNU#ws

QuoteI don't think Obama is a Reptilian.  I think he's setting the table for the Reptilians somewhere down the line. :P

I totally thought it said:
"I don't think Obama is a Republican.  I think he's setting the table for the Republicans somewhere down the line."

...which are my thoughts exactly, whether he is acting all moderate center-right Republican on purpose or is forced to act the way he does due to partisan obstruction, filibustering, and lobby intervention, doesn't really matter. Radical my ass.

QuoteAlso, everything military even a single 5.56mm round is dangerous.  It isn't like a movie, a firefight across the street could cut through your house and hit you as you exited the backdoor trying to run away.

Oh I know. There was a firefight in West Oakland not that long ago on the local news and this high-velocity bullet punched through a wall, a door and almost hit a woman sleeping in her bed. The gun was fired a few floors down on the street. I think the bullet missed her by a few inches. You gotta love high-powered guns in the hands of civilians!

QuoteDrones are notorious for their excessiveness.  Good at taking out badguys. And their families.  And thats propaganda for whatever side they are being used against.

That's not what I meant. What I tried to get at is that one of these dreamed up NRA bear militias would stand a chance against high-flying drones and such.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Guns are never going away, but we can change how accessible they are.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on May 08, 2013, 08:26:14 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on May 08, 2013, 07:42:14 PM

Nope.  "It's like having a condom.  Better to have one and not need one, than need one and not have it."   :P

I never got that analogy.

Comparing a condom to a bullet-proof vest makes way more sense.

Quote from: Crazy Rich on May 08, 2013, 10:00:51 PM
Guns are never going away, but we can change how accessible they are.

Exactly! Unfortunately LaPierre & Co of the NRA have made it neigh impossible for any positive change to happen. They got everyone important by the balls (& ovaries), and they won't let go. Too much money to be made.

Quote from: ScardyFox on May 08, 2013, 10:03:33 AM
Oh Eagle, I see you're dwelling into the realm of crazy again...

Missed you too  :-*

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed