Exclusive: New Prometheus Trailer Footage

Started by ikarop, Nov 26, 2011, 08:39:19 PM

Author
Exclusive: New Prometheus Trailer Footage (Read 160,612 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

Lol! Will do ;)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Dec 01, 2011, 02:40:19 AM...the swimming aliens
Oh yeah, they were catastrophically bad. Aliens shouldn't smile on screen... EVER.

-Chris.

"Nice day for a swim eh boys?"
"You betcha, I'm just so damn happy right now!"

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 01, 2011, 05:58:18 AM
Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Dec 01, 2011, 02:40:19 AM...the swimming aliens
Oh yeah, they were catastrophically bad. Aliens shouldn't smile on screen... EVER.

-Chris.

http://whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/alien-resurrection-screen-1.jpg

"Nice day for a swim eh boys?"
"You betcha, I'm just so damn happy right now!"

It´s not much that they CAN swim, but those shinny teeth, them moving like gracile mermaids...it was completelly out of place. A:R is the first Alien Movie that makes the chreatures not more threatening that any other given chreature in any other movie. They are just something to be shoted or something that just kills  people..

The Xenoborg

I think Ridley Scott would make sure the CGI scenes look top-notch. And I don't think CGI is bad unless it is not used properly.
A blend of CGI and practical props is the perfect bet ;)

About the smiling A:R Aliens, I always knew the movie had a parody-like feeling to it.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: The Xenoborg on Dec 01, 2011, 09:26:06 AM
I think Ridley Scott would make sure the CGI scenes look top-notch. And I don't think CGI is bad unless it is not used properly.
A blend of CGI and practical props is the perfect bet ;)

Hope so!

Quote from: The Xenoborg on Dec 01, 2011, 09:26:06 AM
About the smiling A:R Aliens, I always knew the movie had a parody-like feeling to it.

Thats it´s major problem....

JKS1

JKS1

Quote from: Elude on Dec 01, 2011, 01:26:52 AM
Quote from: JKS1 on Nov 30, 2011, 02:27:36 PM
I'm not sure I agree with you on the point that CGI supersedes models/matte paintings when depicting landscapes, in terms of detail/image quality

For me its all about realism - do I believe that what I'm looking at is 'really there', solid and has that correct sense of scale

So far I've yet to see any CGI depicted landscape that comes even close to inspiring the same feeling of awe and 'realness' as the matte painting/model combination used in the opening sequence of Blade Runner

Can you give me an example of any similarly futuristic/fantasy/sci-fi type landscape imagery thats equally as 'real' or 'solid' looking as this, yet CGI  ?

All thats coming to my mind are the obvious CGI of the Colosseum shots in 'Gladiator', the obvious CGI in 'Titanic' and 'Avatar' and the hideous overkill and screamingly obvious CGI in Star Wars I,II and III

(Not to mention the complete and utterly shitty and obvious CGI effects in the green lantern)

So, please, some examples of scenes and movies where the CGI depicted landscapes and spaceships arent obviously CGI and really make you believe youre looking at something or some place thats real and solid and not a glorified cartoon ?

http://vodpod.com/watch/2794864-the-third-the-seventh-on-vimeo

How's this for CGI?

yeah thats impressive, but I was after a large scale movie example, and King Kong as somebody offered as an example of good CGI did not at any point at all have me thinking 'WOW', most of the time it made me yawn and think 'ok that doesnt look real, that doesnt look real, that isnt really there, this is just like the cartoon/live action mix of ....etc etc'

i dont deliberately sit down to watch a movie with the intention of seeking out all the poor CGI, I WANT to believe that what I'm really seeing IS some beautiful fantastical landscape, IS a living, breathing creature, IS a big, solid nuts and bolts spaceship

so often in movies these days this just isnt the case as so often CGI is obviously exactly that.....CGI, and that many SFX laden movies these days look like the intro sections to modern day video games

Engineer1

Engineer1

Good CGI are good.
Bad CGI are bad.
Good animatronics are good.
Bad Animatronics are bad.
Good models are good.
Bad models are bad.

Blend of techniques = EPIC WIN.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: JKS1 on Dec 01, 2011, 10:21:26 AM
yeah thats impressive, but I was after a large scale movie example, and King Kong as somebody offered as an example of good CGI did not at any point at all have me thinking 'WOW', most of the time it made me yawn and think 'ok that doesnt look real, that doesnt look real, that isnt really there,

You asked for CGI examples of landscapes that look real. Both examples I gave have effects way better than a painting or model could achieve.

King Kong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCWGxSyi5PY#

Road to Perdition and War of the worlds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRH29FZAT_A#ws

Space Jockey King

Space Jockey King

Engineer1

Engineer1

I agree with the fake look of the cgi sets of king kong.
But in my opinion it's because of the light.
The scenes in time square is lit like a christmas tree.
But there's also a painting, illustration vibe to these environnements.
I think it's Jackson's intention to create a semi realistic decorum.
Road to Perdition is the opposite with its grim and grey toned cgi sets extensions.
Usually the more dark and flat your sets are they will pass as realistic.
If you have flashy colors all around your mind will not buy it.
But if it's done on purpose like in Kong or Avatar i'm all for it.

PROMETHEUS willbe very dark and monchromatic so i have no doubt the effect will work perfectly.
Cgi or not.

JKS1

JKS1

Quote from: Engineer1 on Dec 01, 2011, 11:14:27 AM
Good CGI are good.
Bad CGI are bad.
Good models are good.
Bad models are bad.

yeah but my point was a counter to a statement along the lines of 'why bother with making models of spaceships, building huge sets and matte paintings when CGI can do the same thing far easier and cheaper ?'

so far I've yet to see any modern example of CGI effects that have the huge scale, realism, believability and 'wow' factor of the opening sequence to 'bladerunner' - still absolutely stunning on the big screen after close to 30 years.

I asked for any recent CGI examples that come even close to that sort of SOLID AND REAL LOOKING, awe inspiring, jaw dropping depiction in a movie

I can think of none, but I'd hoped those who think CGI are superior to practical effects would come up with some decent examples - so far none

nendo

nendo

Quote from: Highland on Dec 01, 2011, 11:21:57 AM
Quote from: JKS1 on Dec 01, 2011, 10:21:26 AM
yeah thats impressive, but I was after a large scale movie example, and King Kong as somebody offered as an example of good CGI did not at any point at all have me thinking 'WOW', most of the time it made me yawn and think 'ok that doesnt look real, that doesnt look real, that isnt really there,

You asked for CGI examples of landscapes that look real. Both examples I gave have effects way better than a painting or model could achieve.

King Kong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCWGxSyi5PY#

Road to Perdition and War of the worlds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRH29FZAT_A#ws

The new tin tin movie has some astonishing CGI. Animation was amazingly detailed and the landscape effects are fantastic.There were times is the scenery looks spot on real.

Engineer1

Engineer1

Quote from: JKS1 on Dec 01, 2011, 11:31:52 AM
Quote from: Engineer1 on Dec 01, 2011, 11:14:27 AM
Good CGI are good.
Bad CGI are bad.
Good models are good.
Bad models are bad.

yeah but my point was a counter to a statement along the lines of 'why bother with making models of spaceships, building huge sets and matte paintings when CGI can do the same thing far easier and cheaper ?'

so far I've yet to see any modern example of CGI effects that have the huge scale, realism, believability and 'wow' factor of the opening sequence to 'bladerunner' - still absolutely stunning on the big screen after close to 30 years.

I asked for any recent CGI examples that come even close to that sort of SOLID AND REAL LOOKING, awe inspiring, jaw dropping depiction in a movie

I can think of none, but I'd hoped those who think CGI are superior to practical effects would come up with some decent examples - so far none

I'm not talking about the Navis themselves (wich are awesomly done bit still alien) but more of the human gear.
The copters and others vehicules really felt there to me.
I'm always for models rather than CGI for vehicules but those from AVATAR really looked and felt there.
As"real" as the models from star wars.
Some parts of the base too.

It's also wrong to think that CGI are always cheaper and faster.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: JKS1 on Dec 01, 2011, 11:31:52 AM

I'm unsure if I should use my invisable posts for good or for evil.....

Snowdog

Snowdog

The Jurassic Park movies. The cgi dinosaurs look and feel real

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed