The Return of Newt, Ripley & AvP? Performer Breanna Watkins talks "The Predator"

Started by Voodoo Magic, Apr 30, 2021, 11:11:32 AM

Author
The Return of Newt, Ripley & AvP? Performer Breanna Watkins talks "The Predator" (Read 5,971 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 01, 2021, 08:30:07 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 01, 2021, 12:11:25 PM
You're like a dog with a none, Local.  :laugh:

I'm legitimately unsure as to whether you meant "nun" or "bone" there.

Oops!

Legitimately? Then clearly I have to brush up on my dog with a nun adages!

Quote from: SiL on May 01, 2021, 10:37:01 PM
Many users on this site are here because of the first AvP movie introducing them to the franchises. The advertising was considerable. It was very popular with teenagers on release and introduced a new generation of fans who have remained active ever since.

True, though I believe a great deal of that luring goes to the AvP Video Games as well.

seattle24

Many users on this site are here because of the first AvP movie introducing them to the franchises. The advertising was considerable. It was very popular with teenagers on release and introduced a new generation of fans who have remained active ever since.

Unless you're talking about making people want to stay for AvP specifically. No arguments there. But it genuinely generated a lot of new life long fans in a way that I don't think any of the movies since have managed.

AvP Galaxy was the first Alien/Predator community I found when I began using the net regularly back in 2002/2003. I think the fact it was very active and was one of the largest Alien/Predator communities was what made it a home for so many fans. Like Voodoo says the games are probably as much to thank. Pretty sure the disgust the first film generated resulted in this site going down for a while.

Not disagreeing with you per se I just remember a lot of fans had backgrounds with the franchises already.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 03, 2021, 02:34:11 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 01, 2021, 08:30:07 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 01, 2021, 12:11:25 PM
You're like a dog with a none, Local.  :laugh:

I'm legitimately unsure as to whether you meant "nun" or "bone" there.

Oops!

Legitimately? Then clearly I have to brush up on my dog with a nun adages!

Such an adage would only apply to someone of my particular inclinations. :-[

Voodoo Magic

🤔

Quote from: seattle24 on May 03, 2021, 03:25:10 PM

Unless you're talking about making people want to stay for AvP specifically. No arguments there. But it genuinely generated a lot of new life long fans in a way that I don't think any of the movies since have managed.

AvP Galaxy was the first Alien/Predator community I found when I began using the net regularly back in 2002/2003. I think the fact it was very active and was one of the largest Alien/Predator communities was what made it a home for so many fans. Like Voodoo says the games are probably as much to thank. Pretty sure the disgust the first film generated resulted in this site going down for a while.

Not disagreeing with you per se I just remember a lot of fans had backgrounds with the franchises already.

Yeah I have absolutely no metric to measure this, but it was always my personal impression that the AvP film lost us more fans than it gained, while AvP and AvP2 video games just bought in a lionshare.

Local Trouble

Must be a generational thing.  Had AR not turned the Alien series into a joke, I would have been thoroughly upset by AvP instead of merely disinterested.

I guess I can see how kids may have liked it though.

Nightmare Asylum

AVP was, indirectly, what got me into Alien. I was in middle school and had heard a bunch of my classmates talking about this "cool new movie Alien vs Predator. Not too long after, I was at the local video rental place with my dad, and I picked AVP off of the shelf. My looked at it, put it down, and handed me Alien instead - and I fell in love with that wholeheartedly.

Local Trouble

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 03, 2021, 04:53:27 PM
Your dad's a smart man.

To this day I think he still regrets the obsessive path he put me on. :D

Local Trouble

Imagine all the kids whose first impression of a Predator's face was Scar's ugly mug.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 03, 2021, 04:46:33 PM
Must be a generational thing.  Had AR not turned the Alien series into a joke, I would have been thoroughly upset by AvP instead of merely disinterested.

I guess I can see how kids may have liked it though.

Could be generational indeed. And while I loathed AR,  I could imagine some young teenagers at the time of AR finding it rather cool, and perhaps it became their entry to the Alien franchise. But that is another film I would assume resulted in a fandom net loss within its time period.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 03, 2021, 04:52:35 PM
AVP was, indirectly, what got me into Alien. I was in middle school and had heard a bunch of my classmates talking about this "cool new movie Alien vs Predator. Not too long after, I was at the local video rental place with my dad, and I picked AVP off of the shelf. My looked at it, put it down, and handed me Alien instead - and I fell in love with that wholeheartedly.

:laugh: 

That's a great story NA!

Pretty sure the disgust the first film generated resulted in this site going down for a while.

"In August 2004, I saw Alien vs Predator for myself and was truly disappointed. So much so, that I closed the website down permanently."
"I perhaps overreacted over the incident but to me, I just felt like I had wasted the entire year reporting news on this movie for nothing."

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/site-info/

Kradan

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 03, 2021, 05:02:15 PM
Imagine all the kids whose first impression of a Predator's face was Scar's ugly mug.

I'll save you the effort, that kid was me

Local Trouble

Was it also the first time you saw the Alien?

Kradan

Kradan

Yeah. And I loved it

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 03, 2021, 05:05:43 PM
Pretty sure the disgust the first film generated resulted in this site going down for a while.

"In August 2004, I saw Alien vs Predator for myself and was truly disappointed. So much so, that I closed the website down permanently."
"I perhaps overreacted over the incident but to me, I just felt like I had wasted the entire year reporting news on this movie for nothing."

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/site-info/

I clicked the link and that's what I found:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/files/other/avpgalienfans.mp4?_=1

Young Hicks is adorable  :)

BigDaddyJohn

SiL

I don't recall saying all or even most of the people on this site were brought in by the movie ???

It did alienate many existing fans but also net a whole generation of new ones. That doesn't seem to be something that can be said for films released since. Maybe Prometheus? You don't really hear people talking about how AvPR or The Predator were their big introduction.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed