The Official PROMETHEUS Griping Thread!

Started by Cvalda, Mar 19, 2012, 09:13:18 PM

Author
The Official PROMETHEUS Griping Thread! (Read 69,036 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

Well said Valaquen.

Gash

Is that why it's contentious, because the hose isn't attached yet? Jeez.

Kol

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 21, 2012, 02:06:08 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 21, 2012, 07:32:43 AM
Here's a quick mock-up of how our very controversial new Jockey friend will probably look with hose attached to his infamous new mask:

See, he looks a bit better now, doesn't he?
:-\
The hose will likely attach after the suit has completely 'formed', for lack of a better word. The original always looked like an elephant man (not a John Hurt joke!).

can't say that so.

the '79 jockey scared the shit out of us and only after watching the movie several times and becoming "familiar" with it, it became this earth related being (elephant man). but the space jockey in prometheus... (when wearing it's suit) just looks like watto from episode I, a tapir or an elephant seal:

what was terrifying in alien has become something obvious & earth related in prometheus.

but i'm not complaining about the look from the new jockey.
just about your statement ;)

Eva

Quote from: Kol on Mar 21, 2012, 02:24:45 PM
the '79 jockey scared the shit out of us and only after watching the movie several times and becoming "familiar" with it, it became this earth related being (elephant man). but the space jockey in prometheus... (when wearing it's suit) just looks like watto from episode I, a tapir or an elephant seal....

Imo, the helmet they find and take back looks great and nothing like the above. I think it's just the angle, lighting and the 'not grunge/dirty look' in that short second that warrants the whole tapir thing...

Gash

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Mar 20, 2012, 10:09:44 PM
personally, its not the cgi or cleanliness that i have a gripe with, its just the design aesthetic looking far more futuristic than the rest of the movies, just as george lucas did with the fancy screens in ships, and r2d2 with flying abilities in the star wars prequels.

rich

I dunno, ALIEN made in 79 looks a lot more futuristic than ALIENS, set 57 years later, made in 86 and with a design aesthetic that looks 1986, complete with a frizzy haired yuppie, shiny metal air ducts, 'Platoon' marines and dodgy back projection. There's no attempt at making the computer visuals look ahead of their time as there was when Bernard Lodge created the opening 3D revolve screen for Mother in ALIEN.

I always thought that Aliens failed to recreate the design aesthetic despite Ron Cobb's involvement, and the cinematography is nowhere near as good as ALIEN, so it always looked a mismatched piece to me. Say what you like about Alien3, but at least the cinematography was a better match to the original.

Of Prometheus - the flat screens and displays are pretty much close to a lot of the early concept art for ship interiors in ALIEN, until it was decided it was too luxurious for a space tug, and the lighting of the Prometheus corridors is a lot more Nostromo A Deck than people are giving credence to. 

The shot of Prometheus having landed in the dust is also quite reminiscent of ALIEN concept art, all you need is two poeple in the foreground with torches and it's a good match, so I think far from Ridley Scott doing a George Lucas, so far I just think he's looking back to - what was it? The Snark or the Leviathan?

Valaquen

can't say that so.

the '79 jockey scared the shit out of us and only after watching the movie several times and becoming "familiar" with it, it became this earth related being (elephant man). but the space jockey in prometheus... (when wearing it's suit) just looks like watto from episode I, a tapir or an elephant seal:

what was terrifying in alien has become something obvious & earth related in prometheus.

It was scary. It was also elephantine. ;)

Kol

Quote from: Eva on Mar 21, 2012, 02:37:18 PM
the '79 jockey scared the shit out of us and only after watching the movie several times and becoming "familiar" with it, it became this earth related being (elephant man). but the space jockey in prometheus... (when wearing it's suit) just looks like watto from episode I, a tapir or an elephant seal....

Imo, the helmet they find and take back looks great and nothing like the above. I think it's just the angle, lighting and the 'not grunge/dirty look' in that short second that warrants the whole tapir thing...

i think because it's just from some statue or a "dead" helmet. but as you said it looked great.

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 21, 2012, 02:43:21 PM
can't say that so.

It was scary. It was also elephantine. ;)

it was somehow. but less elephantine, than the prometheus one.
till now i have/had no problem with this thing being a suit and the wearer being humanoid and our ancestor.

Deuterium

I guess I would be in the (small?) category of those who never viewed the original Space Jockey mummy (corpse) as "elephantine".  Admittedly, this view was based on never once considering the possibility that the jockey figure might turn out to be some kind of bizarre exo-suit.  I guess it was the appearance (to me, anyway) that the central "trunk" was rigid, fused and connected to the "ribs", and seemed to be made out of the same "bony" material as the skeleton...which prevented me from associating it with a elephant-like, flexible "snout" or hose.

ThisBethesdaSea

All of this criticism heaped towards the Jockey in Prometheus is based off what like 2-3 seconds or less of footage that shows it either being strapped IN or coming OUT of the chair. Either way it's In-Motion so there's no clear view of it, or, final view of what it will look like It's the most baseless and premature criticism I've seen yet towards Prometheus.

Game_Over_Man

My gripe is people griping about a movie they've seen only through trailers...trailers I hasten to add that look more impressive than any movie in recent years. It's like we're have a real epic film given to us, similar to 2001 in scale, yet it's not enough.

Avatar was console game standard - Prometheus promises to have much more depth visually.

My other gripe is trying to comprehend why anyone would prefer a new AVP film :s

Kol

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 21, 2012, 03:13:36 PM
I guess I would be in the (small?) category of those who never viewed the original Space Jockey mummy (corpse) as "elephantine".  Admittedly, this view was based on never once considering the possibility that the jockey figure might turn out to be some kind of bizarre exo-suit.  I guess it was the appearance (to me, anyway) that the central "trunk" was rigid, fused and connected to the "ribs", and seemed to be made out of the same "bony" material as the skeleton...which prevented me from associating it with a elephant-like, flexible "snout" or hose.

THiS!

ps: thank you for finding the right fitting words, i were unable to.  :)

Deuterium

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Mar 21, 2012, 04:01:01 PM
My gripe is people griping about a movie they've seen only through trailers...trailers I hasten to add that look more impressive than any movie in recent years. It's like we're have a real epic film given to us, similar to 2001 in scale, yet it's not enough.

Game_Over_Man, you got to understand that speculation about the upcoming film is what this entire forum is about.  Cvalda was kind enough to start a thread in which people can list their fears/concerns as to certain elements which may be troubling (for some).  Granted, we are all operating on limited information...but just as creative speculation is fun...reasonable "griping" on potential "negative" elements can be quite cathartic.  I know I feel better.   ;D

Besides, it let's me get it out of my system, so I can go see it in the theater with expectations firmly in check.

Game_Over_Man

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 21, 2012, 05:51:54 PM
Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Mar 21, 2012, 04:01:01 PM

Game_Over_Man, you got to understand that speculation about the upcoming film is what this entire forum is about.  Cvalda was kind enough to start a thread in which people can list their fears/concerns as to certain elements which may be troubling (for some).  Granted, we are all operating on limited information...but just as creative speculation is fun...reasonable "griping" on potential "negative" elements can be quite cathartic.  I know I feel better.   ;D

Besides, it let's me get it out of my system, so I can go see it in the theater with expectations firmly in check.

Nooo you misunderstand - the thread is perfectly valid, but it's peoples gripes that are often ridiculous and unreasonable ie. the shape of the jockey when we don't know if it's the same jockey, or a suit that will adapt to its user. OR, comments about Noomi not being as good of Sigourney, OR why DOS system isn't used etc. Most of the griping is geek bitching in my opinion, when really, until the film is released THEN is the time to comment about script, characters etc.

Gripes about the press campaign or technical details of the trailers or interviews with Ridley and cast - that's all we can really gripe about...if indeed there are any gripes to be truly made even in these departments!

Cvalda

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Mar 21, 2012, 07:07:52 PM
Nooo you misunderstand - the thread is perfectly valid, but it's peoples gripes that are often ridiculous and unreasonable ie. the shape of the jockey when we don't know if it's the same jockey, or a suit that will adapt to its user. OR, comments about Noomi not being as good of Sigourney, OR why DOS system isn't used etc.
What. I don't think I've seen that anywhere on these forums. I think we're all pretty much in agreement that Noomi looks great.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 21, 2012, 07:37:19 PM
Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Mar 21, 2012, 07:07:52 PM
Nooo you misunderstand - the thread is perfectly valid, but it's peoples gripes that are often ridiculous and unreasonable ie. the shape of the jockey when we don't know if it's the same jockey, or a suit that will adapt to its user. OR, comments about Noomi not being as good of Sigourney, OR why DOS system isn't used etc.
What. I don't think I've seen that anywhere on these forums. I think we're all pretty much in agreement that Noomi looks great.

Game_Over could be hinting at someones complaint in another thread, that Noomi Rapace doesn't exactly feature an impressive bust, less so than Sigourney in Alien.

I guess there's a select few here that likes to imagine Christina Hendricks filling out the white bandages instead of Noomi. Very few... :laugh:

Noomi looks awesome! The original The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was my favorite film of that year largely because of her performance.

Oh no... I praised something about the film in the griping thread... I broke Cvaldas thread... :'(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed