are they treating AvP as canon?

Started by Discovery One, Aug 04, 2011, 04:06:57 PM

Author
are they treating AvP as canon? (Read 45,422 times)

m138jewski

m138jewski

Quote from: Infected on Aug 05, 2011, 06:13:41 PM
AVP concept is pure awesomeness but the product was terrible very very terrible.
If they wanted to be succesful they should have gotten a big budget a big director/producer and as little as possible green screen cgi do it like the good old days real sets real suits and aliens.
this

Infected

Infected

Quote from: m138jewski on Aug 05, 2011, 06:25:03 PM
Quote from: Infected on Aug 05, 2011, 06:13:41 PM
AVP concept is pure awesomeness but the product was terrible very very terrible.
If they wanted to be succesful they should have gotten a big budget a big director/producer and as little as possible green screen cgi do it like the good old days real sets real suits and aliens.
this
If you had the choice to do an AVP movie when the first two werent around yet.
Would you let the movie be on a spaceship or planet? and would you involve colonial marines or just humans as in survivors/victims?

Discovery One

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Aug 05, 2011, 06:08:53 PM
Who in thier right mind would believe Scott would connect Prometheus to AvP?

I don't believe he would make any connections. The question is whether or not he will be honouring the timeline that has been established across all the films so far.

ThisBethesdaSea

The first 3 films possibly...the AvP bullshit mess? Hahahahaha......no.

Corporal Hicks

I was thinking about this the other day. If Prometheus ultimately leads up to the evolution of the Alien as we know it, it'll effectively wipe out all other Alien media where the Aliens are featured. It'll have to make AvP it's own continuity otherwise it just wont work.

But we wont know the specifics until it comes out.

Discovery One

That's what I'm talking about :) As poor as the AvP films may be, I personally don't believe that Ridley would torpedo them out of the timeline altogether. This leads me to think that it's unlikely they will show us the initial creation/birth of the alien species in Prometheus. I guess we'll have to wait and see though.

Snowdog

Snowdog

Ridley doesn't like the avp movies at all. they turned his masterpiece's monster into a regular monstermovie thing. I think he wants to fix it all and make it right. so yeah slingshot both avp movies out of the franchise.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Ridley Scott probably couldn't care less about AVP and whether or not his movie fits with it.  He probably won't set out to specifically dismiss AVP, but there likely will be contradictions.  Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if this film contradicts Aliens somehow.  I'm okay with that.  Broken continuity is a fact of life.

Xenorgue

Xenorgue

Anyway the alien does not have create at the time of "Prometheus" given that the vessel crushed in alien 1 is here since hundreds of years and contains aliens eggs.

ThisBethesdaSea

huh?

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Discovery One on Aug 04, 2011, 04:06:57 PM
It wouldn't really be fair on AvP if Prometheus is given canon status just because it has Ridley's name on it. They are both separate from the main franchise so they should have equal rights. There are a few things in AvP we can add to the ALIEN mythology and I'm wondering if they've taken those things into account for Prometheus. For example, it's never clear in the main franchise if humans know of other intelligent life before they encounter the Jockey, however if we take AvP into account then humans have encountered the Predator speices back in 2004. I'm not saying Prometheus should make any reference to AvP (god no, that would be awful) but just ensure they don't contradict anything in AvP. What do you think?

Doesn't Ash state that it's a first encounter when talking of the importance of retaining the Facehugger for further study? Anyway I think it's pretty clear that it's implied that as far as anyone knows (the company aside) no sort of alien life, intelligent or otherwise has been encountered by humans. Prometheus is therefore on a doomed mission or a very secret one.

As for AVP, good god no, surely Prometheus is trying to salvage the story and give it some of the gravitas and credibility of the 1979 original.

Discovery One

Discovery One

Quote from: Gash on Aug 07, 2011, 12:10:07 AM
Doesn't Ash state that it's a first encounter when talking of the importance of retaining the Facehugger for further study? Anyway I think it's pretty clear that it's implied that as far as anyone knows (the company aside) no sort of alien life, intelligent or otherwise has been encountered by humans. Prometheus is therefore on a doomed mission or a very secret one.

Ash stating it's a first encounter suggests to me that they have encountered many other extraterrestrial organisms and that this is merely a first encounter with this particular species. Another clue is when Dallas informs the crew about the beacon and Ripley says 'is it human?' the fact that she asks this question implies that they have made contact or know of with other intelligent life forms previously. Then there's also the cool response of the crew when they first come across the Space Jockey. All these things point to humans having knowledge of intelligent life. Obviously it's all a bit vague however it does add to the 'AvP as canon' argument without the need for a cover up explanation between AvPR and ALIEN.

Quote from: Gash on Aug 07, 2011, 12:10:07 AMAs for AVP, good god no, surely Prometheus is trying to salvage the story and give it some of the gravitas and credibility of the 1979 original.

Yes I agree. (I don't actually like the AVP films myself)

:)

nendo

nendo

Quote from: Discovery One on Aug 07, 2011, 01:11:08 AM
Another clue is when Dallas informs the crew about the beacon and Ripley says 'is it human?' the fact that she asks this question implies that they have made contact or know of with other intelligent life forms previously.

Doesn't really imply that at all. It could be interpurated that way but don't forget that they know about androids. She could be asking the question of whether it was a human distress call or a robots distress call.

harlock

harlock

No-one reacted to the Space Jockey with a kind of "My god! Its an alien!" reaction. Dallas was more concerned about how it was growing from the chair.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: harlock on Aug 07, 2011, 09:19:17 PM
No-one reacted to the Space Jockey with a kind of "My god! Its an alien!" reaction. Dallas was more concerned about how it was growing from the chair.

Yeah that always stood out to me too. Im guessing that "first contact" will play a part of Prometheus' story/themes in the sense that it'll examine mankind's reaction to finding out that we are not alone.
Perhaps it will question religion aswell.

On the point of the topic I can't believe people actually think that AVP is canon. It's a shitty spinoff that poorly mashes together two franchises.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed