Alien Resurrection

Started by Snowdog, Apr 29, 2011, 10:44:59 PM

Author
Alien Resurrection (Read 35,759 times)

Snowdog

Snowdog

Quote from: Valaquen on May 01, 2011, 11:09:46 AM
Then you guys are nuts! I don't know anyone who didn't immediately go "AHA! Wren put the Alien in him but now HE gets the Alien!" The irony! :P

You know 2 people now here on the forum :P

SM

SM

I just saw that as poetic justice more than irony.

Maybe if it'd eaten through Wren's chest it'd be irony.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I've always thought Resurrection was an okay film overall, but absolutely terrible as an Alien film.

Pn2501

Pn2501

i was obsessed with the movie coming out, it seemed awesome, the director of delictessan, the writer of toy story the cinematographer of seven, just fell short i still enjoyed it. just hated the newborn design.

Snowdog

Snowdog

Quote from: Pn2501 on May 02, 2011, 03:07:20 AM
i was obsessed with the movie coming out, it seemed awesome, the director of delictessan, the writer of toy story the cinematographer of seven, just fell short i still enjoyed it. just hated the newborn design.

If you saw all the concept designs of the newborn, believe me youre happy they picked this one :P

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

All the designs, including the very first concept art were leading towards the direction we see in the actual Newborn.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

I was always indifferent to Newborn, hated the eyes but other than that I dont see whats the fuss is about. For me just about everything else in that movie is as bad or worse

Pn2501

Pn2501

Let me rephrase that and say I enjoyed it for a Jeunet film, just needed to watch it in French lol.

Ultimately I blame the script, the newborn was an extension of the mother themes Cameron started. That and the rapid fire comedic dialogue were part of the script fail, thanks Joss.

After watching Dante 01 it seems like Jeunet's scifi leanings where part of Marc Caro's influence, for resurrection it should have been a package deal Jeunet/Caro.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

I think I would exchange Jeunet before changning the writer. Seeing how Jeunet browned everything (and well, he matched the color tone of the movie to its quality - yellow and brown...). Jeunet approved the Pumpkinheads that ADI brought him, approved the eyes in newborn, shot the aliens in lightened environment, okayed the Loony Toones humor etc

I think a great director can make a great movie even from a so so script. Alien is an example, the script was virtually the exact same story that pulps and cheap B movies had multiple times before Alien, yet the approach, the look, the feel, the designs , the characters and the performances and art direction made all the difference

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Dunno what's wrong with the Newborn's eyes.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: OmegaZilla on May 03, 2011, 03:07:59 PM
Dunno what's wrong with the Newborn's eyes.

I just think he would look much cooler if it was just an eyeless skullface, like on the cover of alien resurrection comic adaptation which i think looked actually pretty good

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I agree in that an eyeless skull would look much, much creepier and would make an even stronger link with death.
One of the earlier concepts looked really cool as well:

Always really liked this one too, very Giger inspired:

You can even see some hint at a skull here. Even though I greatly appreciate the Newborn for what it is supposed to be, I'd have liked to see one of these two more.

Pn2501

Pn2501

I think you'll find that Juenets cinematographer Darius Khondji worked with Fincher on se7en, and I'd say Fincher was more so inspired by Juenet, and Khondji's work in terms of "colour" ( read cinematography ) for alien 3 ( i think Fincher is hugely influenced by Juenet, i find in places Benjamin Button could almost be mistaken for a Juenet film )

Yeah and I can see a French director with limited English on his first Hollywood film making changes to the script, something tells me the studio signed off on the script,

I also think the performances were fine it had a good cast minus Winona Ryder.

I personally believe Jenuet was the redeeming factor, we could have ended up with a worse film with a less competent director ala avp / avpr.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Jeunet took credit for a lot of things in the movie. The mentioned eyes of newborn is one of many examples. He basically said that he made an "French movie with American production"

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

He wanted the Newborn to be not just the usual killer Monster, but he wanted it to be more human, more tangible as a character; he decidedly wanted it to be very, very expressive. That's why he approved the final design. The eyes helped to achieve this objective.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed