Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 246,005 times)

Whos_Nick

Guys it's a movie

Ingwar

Yeah, I know but some people cannot handle that. And when you go different opinion it means you're: "shit posting".

SM

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 12, 2017, 08:36:16 PM
And why you are attacking me because I'v got different opinion than yours?

I don't shit post. How many times I have to repeat myself? Somebody mentioned that during the podcast. I agree with it and I posted it here. If you call my comments as shit posts then you have exactly the same opinion about people who made that podcast.

You posted a blithe dismissal. Where's the opinion? Where's the attempt at detailing why Prometheus and Covenant are rehashes of Alien? And every post since you've singularly failed to provide any substance to you claim.  All you're capable of is "shit happens". How is that not shitposting? The fact someone else said it on podcast doesn't make it any less idiotic.

Corporal Hicks

To be fair to whoever said it (as I can't remember), Ingwar is putting it across much more broadly than I remember it being spoken about. There are more specific and obvious similarities between the 3 narratives.

Denton Smalls

SM

No one is suggesting otherwise.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 12, 2017, 09:18:17 PM
To be fair to whoever said it (as I can't remember), Ingwar is putting it across much more broadly than I remember it being spoken about. There are more specific and obvious similarities between the 3 narratives.

Absolutely there are, but they're not telling the same story over and over. Alien wasn't about an old man looking for eternal life or a robot trying to wipe out his creators.

Corporal Hicks

Of course. I don't think I'd personally go as far as to say the three films were "telling the same story over and over." I can't remember that conversation completely anyway, but if that was what was said and it was me I would retract that. I would just say that they're all structurally quite similar. There are more nuanced and different depths within those narratives that make them very different.

SM

I'm not even sure the structures are that similar. Perhaps you could make an argument that them trying to escape in Covenant, then having obstacles thrown in their way is like them trying to evac on the Narcissus. But there are similarities to Aluens in that they're going to meet a ship that's coming to pick them up. I started exploring the different timings of events in each film ages ago. Must get around to finishing it.

Ingwar

Ingwar

I've never said they are saying the same story. They're similar though. As Hicks said, they're similar in structure: ship lands on the planet and crew find out alien stuff and bad things start to happen. Those three movies, made by the same person, repeat that formula. We've got even three crashed juggernauts in each one of them, not to mention that the main protagonists are always female, who in two cases, blast alien into space.

Jonesy1974

Broadly speaking all the Alien movies are the same story but I find every one to be pretty unique.

It's not just about the differences in story or the subtext, For me it all comes down to atmosphere and the vibe of the film. I relate emotionally very differently to all six movies and that's what makes them so unique to me.

The only one of the six I actually dislike is resurrection and that's because of the cartoony, comic book feel not because I think it's bad. It just wasn't for me.

SM

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 12, 2017, 09:44:23 PM
I've never said they are saying the same story. They're similar though. As Hicks said, they're similar in structure: ship lands on the planet and crew find out alien stuff and bad things start to happen. Those three movies, made by the same person, repeat that formula. We've got even three crashed juggernauts in each one of them, not to mention that the main protagonists are always female.

And yet, still not rehashing the same story.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Not in 100% but there is so much alike stuff in those 3 that it's annoying.

There's always a ship. Doesn't matter if it's scientific, colony or star-freighter. In two put of three cases ship detects transmission and in once case it's a message (was it?).

Ship lands on the planet. They investigate and ...horror starts.

And there's always an evil android (at least who got Walter) and heroine who blasts alien into space.

I like Prometheus and Covenant no matter how frustrating there are (and they are) but repeating the same formula is lazy.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Dec 12, 2017, 08:39:50 PM
Guys it's a movie

:laugh:

One of those rare moments when the comment posted fits perfectly with the avatar (the smiling Ed Harris).

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 12, 2017, 09:51:38 PM
Not in 100% but there is so much alike stuff in those 3 that it's annoying.

There's always a ship. Doesn't matter if it's scientific, colony or star-freighter. In two put of three cases ship detects transmission and in once case it's a message (was it?).

Ship lands on the planet. They investigate and ...horror starts.

And there's always an evil android (at least who got Walter) and heroine who blasts alien into space.

I like Prometheus and Covenant no matter how frustrating there are (and they are) but repeating the same formula is lazy.

But those things are the connective tissue of the series. Thats kind of how franchise movies work. Beneath those familiar beats are very different stories.

Huggs

"I think this is where all our trouble originates: expectations and trends. If Fox hadn't marketed A:C as another alien movie with corridor chase scenes etc., would this man right here feel Ridley was choosing the wrong platform?"

Exactly. Covenant had no business having the word Alien in the title at all. It felt nothing like an Alien film, although it somewhat seemed like it could be from some of the trailers I saw. Whenever the xenomorph was featured, I couldn't help feeling it was a included briefly as some sort of "here you go, now shut up" to the fans. That, and the creature was used pitifully. Attacking an obviously mechanical device like it's another biological creature? And in the daylight no less, I just couldn't believe it. It felt like Ridley was so annoyed at having to include an Alien in a movie called Alien Covenant, that he just wanted to make them look stupid as dirt and make their encounters as boring, bland, and short as possible so maybe folks would say, "yeah, he's right the Alien's cooked so let's leave it behind". Between his "use" of the alien in covenant and his comments regarding the creature since, I just think he's stuck squarely in Blade Runner mode and he using the only other viable avenue to make his A.I. masterpiece. Unless of course there are xeno's on mars and Matt Damon is available for work.

As for the whole "covenant haters are Aliens fans" thing, let me just say that Aliens is not my favorite of the films. I personally rank them 3,1,2,4. With Alien 3 just barely edging out the original due to it's characters and the dark tone fincher gave it. Aliens was the first of the films that I ever saw, and therefore holds a special place in my heart, but I personally prefer a lone yet powerful Alien vs a small group of reasonably intelligent and grossly unprepared people. I don't care for pulse rifles or power loaders in these films, and wouldn't cry if we never see them again. The characters in the prequel films have been idiots of the highest order, and this alone gives the movies a cheap chainsaw massacre feel. I also feel the all-important tension is gone. The search for the chestburster from the first film, the initial contact in med-lab from Aliens, with the slow build up to Newts first appearance are all good examples of the quality and tension of the original movies. The whole idea of "Something is out there, and it's headed this way", is scary. What did we get in covenant? Aliens in the daylight and seeing the neomorph and xenomorph in full view roaming along.

It obviously wasn't the movie he wanted to make. And I just have to wonder, when it comes to the whole "creature being cooked" thing. Why so averse to it's use? It's an amazing and iconic villain, and it bears some responsibility for Ridley being as famous as he is. They still make James Bond movies for crying out loud, and last I checked, skyfall is considered one of the best bond movies ever made. There's always a story to be told. But for now, many of the elements that make the films so special are gone. But we do get a lot of nicely framed shots of fassbender in a well-shot artificial human interest piece. Alittle something for the ladies I suppose.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed