Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 150,570 times)

chupacabras acheronsis

did we really forgot how to correctly lit a stadium for camera in the future?

Spoiler
just kidding, that was neat
[close]

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I'm actually a bit disappointed by this.

Guy Pearce basically did a poor James Mason impression and it's getting heralded as some sort of utopian canon-saving device?

I genuinely felt Lance Henriksen's interpretation was a lot better - more understated and reserved, but better for it. Contrast this with the speech thing he gives aboard the ship. The latter is superior.

And yes, I know this was meant to have been shot separately, but there's no reason to believe this isn't precisely the same performance he's already been filmed doing in the main feature. A change in director won't have massively changed it.

Besides, the text feed in the background even states he's called 'Wayland', for crying out loud! Interpreting something hurriedly flung together for a Web site as 100% new canon? I'm going to wait and see... Nothing counts unless it's on screen in the actual movie, itself, so far as I'm concerned.

And if the feature's half as superficial as this felt, I fear it's going to repeat the same pattern which has been in operation since the late nineties... Namely, that the preceding entry in the series which was universally hated, somehow becomes the preferred choice: After 'Resurrection', people reassessed 'Alien 3' and preferred it. After 'Alien Versus Predator', people revised and felt they liked 'Resurrection' more.

Try not to get your hopes up too high, please. :) There's a very real possibility that what we end up seeing might be so bad that there's a sudden groundswell of responses along the lines of, "Well, on the whole, it had it's flaws, but 'Requiem' was kind of better... Never thought I'd say that."

And if you don't believe me, go back and watch how people reacted to that film. Everyone was so hyped up with excitement and hatred for Anderson. There were entire magazine articles published around the 'at least it's not Anderson' meme. Then, when it came out, everyone decided they liked the first one more.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 28, 2012, 11:23:01 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 28, 2012, 10:49:50 PM
Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 28, 2012, 10:43:42 PM
Fox said nothing about canon, and the canon was blatantly contradicted numerous times in the AvP films
Yeah neither of those statements are accurate.

And whether or not you want to get "into it" with me in this thread, it really doesn't change the fact that you were being pretty hypocritical by saying "yeah let's totally disregard what the owners/creators say, we have to make all the rules for ourselves" after saying "no the owners/creators get the final say, if you disagree you're objectively wrong". You can't have it both ways.
Really?  Nice lumping two generalized and inaccurate statements together from unrelated topics to try and prove your point.

The creators get the final say in what a creature is, does anybody think otherwise?  They defined what the facehugger was pretty clearly through just about everything we know of it from the films.
It's art and fiction, by definition it's open for interpretation. It's what art is. It's created so that the audience can absorb it, and no two audience members are going to do that the same way.

Didn't you make a thread about wanting to be a professional writer? And you don't understand the concept of "death of the author"? ???
Let's do a thought experiment: is Deckard a replicant in 'Blade Runner'? Ridley Scott says yes, everyone else involved in the movie (including Philip K Dick, Harrison Ford, and the screenwriters) say no. The movie is ambiguous and can be interpreted either way.
So what does the "creator" say, exactly? More importantly, who is the creator in this instance? It certainly isn't one single person, movies are a collaborative effort between dozens, hundreds of people.
Furthermore, why should I care about what the creator says anyway? Why is he more "correct" than me? Maybe he's wrong, maybe he's lying, maybe he's changed his mind (as Ridley Scott did regarding Deckard being a replicant, incidentally). Maybe his interpretation is narrow-minded or not well thought out.

The bottom line is when interpreting art, saying "the author is always automatically right" is limiting and often times uninteresting. You can agree with the author, that's perfectly fine. But saying he's automatically right because he's the author is false.

QuoteHow are those things related?  Other than through the necessity of you trying to label me a hypocrite.
They're related because they're both instances of people of authority making a decision about a work, and in one instance that authority is infallible and in the other it can be disregarded whenever you don't like it. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Saying that FOX hasn't said what is and isn't canon is actually outright false, I've actually done the research to back it up. The fans/audience/whoever can decide what is or isn't canon for themselves and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 28, 2012, 11:47:30 PM
For the record, I want to say that I view this viral video as canon.  The question I have though is that aren't some viral videos for other franchises considered noncanon to the movie series themselves?
It happened with the 'Saw' series, there was some early "prequel" stuff about John Kramer's backstory in some viral video stuff that got contradicted by a later Saw sequel.

I'm not that familiar with a lot of other viral marketing off the top of my head. Modern viral marketing is generally pretty well thought out such that it doesn't contradict the movie it's meant to promote, at least not until the sequels hit or something (as was the case with Saw).

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Xenomorphine...I just completely disagree! I thought his performance was believable, a bit mysterious and a great beginning on the ride to Prometheus. What did you want exactly?

ikarop

ikarop

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Feb 29, 2012, 02:31:57 AM
Quote from: tmjhur on Feb 29, 2012, 01:57:15 AMAn unnamed 'older businessman along for the ride'.

Yet more evidence of Peter Weyland being the guy in the wheelchair. Pretty much a done deal IMHO.

-Chris

I think Weyland might be the old guy from the screenshot posted below actually. I also just noticed that Shaw is also featured in this scene, behind the old guy. They all seem to be protecting him. It would make sense if it's their founder.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

I thought this was brilliant! I am eagerly awaiting the enxt piece of viral marketing! ;D

PS: I'd just like to point out the common practice of founding a new company with the same/similar name as the old one for tax purposes. I can only imagine the legal loopholes one must jump through to own a company when their father the owner/founder mysteriously disappears in Antarctica :p

AmazSpiderMan1

AmazSpiderMan1

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Feb 29, 2012, 03:15:49 AM
I thought this was brilliant! I am eagerly awaiting the enxt piece of viral marketing! ;D

PS: I'd just like to point out the common practice of founding a new company with the same/similar name as the old one for tax purposes. I can only imagine the legal loopholes one must jump through to own a company when their father the owner/founder mysteriously disappears in Antarctica :p

That's a very good point. In a world with Alien monsters that explode out of your chest, who's to say what a company might do if their actual founder disappeared inside an underground arctic pyramid. A stretch, but I think everyone should have a lighter mood about canological discrepancies.

hudson300

hudson300

Considering it wont be in the finished film I wasn't expecting it to be Oscar worthy. Its purely a teaser and a bloody good one at that. At least we officially now know that there is a link to "Alien". That is something to look forward too. As far as this being Ridley Scott's "The Phantom Menace" that could never happen, EVER! Even his last turkey with Russel Crowe could never be as bad as "TPM"

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Feb 29, 2012, 03:15:49 AM

Just curious...

Can you cite an example of a global corporation that collapsed when the CEO/Founder died, and then somehow was resurrected (under a different name) by their son or grandson...presumedly due to some power struggle with the Board of Directors?

Forget that, can you simply cite an example of a global corporation that either collapsed, or changed it's name due to the death of the CEO/owner/founder?

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Hah, this is just a crazy thought, but when Weyland mentioned Prometheus being nailed to a rock, it kinda sparked something in me that they may use that as the ship being somehow grounded/disabled on whatever planet they're on as they're slowly 'pecked' away by whatever possibly god-like opposition they're facing.

Just a thought. ;)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 29, 2012, 03:45:47 AM
Hah, this is just a crazy thought, but when Weyland mentioned Prometheus being nailed to a rock, it kinda sparked something in me that they may use that as the ship being somehow grounded/disabled on whatever planet they're on as they're slowly 'pecked' away by whatever possibly god-like opposition they're facing.

Just a thought. ;)
Well it seems obvious that Weyland sees the mythical Prometheus as an inspiring figure, and names the ship after the Titan due to the ship's extraordinary mission to seed new life or to discover Man's origins (a while ago it was said that Weyland is bankrolling the Prometheus, and looking at the footage we've seen so far, that seems to be true). He pretty much lays this all out in the video. Interesting to note that Weyland's mother was an "Oxford Educated Professor of Comparative Mythology". We can see where he gets his inspiration from.

newbeing

newbeing

Also I'm sure others have probably already made the connection with the restrained titan that got its heart eaten out of its chest.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 29, 2012, 03:58:42 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 29, 2012, 03:45:47 AM

Just a thought. ;)
Well it seems obvious that Weyland sees the mythical Prometheus as an inspiring figure, and names the ship after the Titan due to the ship's extraordinary mission to seed new life or to discover Man's origins (a while ago it was said that Weyland is bankrolling the Prometheus, and looking at the footage we've seen so far, that seems to be true). He pretty much lays this all out in the video. Interesting to note that Weyland's mother was an "Oxford Educated Professor of Comparative Mythology". We can see where he gets his inspiration from.
Oh, definitely, but I meant mostly the unforeseen things that would be beyond his control, against the crew of the Prometheus much like the wrath of the gods against the Titan; creating the whole irony of indirect re-enactment was the aspect I was going for.

Kol

Kol

now that we know of guy pearce role as weyland, is the rest of the interview, ridley scott did with this hungarian page, is turning right? like weyland is the only tie-in to alien?

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Umm...by way of the Derelict class space ship, the Ampule room that looks like the egg chamber from ALIEN, and, oh yeah, The Space Jockey, I'd say that clearly the ties to ALIEN are larger then just Peter Weyland. :) :);)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed