The Cinemacon Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2018, 03:37:39 PM

Author
The Cinemacon Thread (Read 76,712 times)

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I got to say, it is a little disconcerting reading all this, I don't know if I am going to like this movie from what I am seeing but I will keep an open mind. Predator may not been the most grounded of sci/fi i.e cloaking, plasma guns and glowing green blood but this whole hybrid thing among other stuff...its just a little over the top. It is looking to be set up as the "Resurrection" of the franchise, its even the fourth film too.  :P

I notice that a lot of these elements, such as the dna thing seems to have been brought over from Predators, as I remember that the original explanation for the super preds.

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Apr 27, 2018, 06:41:59 PM
I get that they have to sell this not just to predator fans but mainstream too. It's in that sense Iv learnt already to accept it for what it is. But one thing is no doubt and certain ...it's a very brave or stupid move fox and black have pulled, depending on the outcome box office success wise. That ultimately will be how the film judged.

That is the sad thing about today, as movies, tv and games are throwing away good, complex lore/story in order to simplify things for the casual audience, they should stick to their guns/fanbases and genre/tone/style/lore because they would still get plenty of views. I mean AVP sucked in many ways but one of them was because they toned things down so they can get a "wider audience"

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

The Cruentus you are right on the money with that one imo pal , it's sad but very true  , quick fast digestible media for consumption to the mass . Not original story telling, or any true meaning of the word art. But then again it could just be nostalgia  :o

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I already pointed that out  :laugh:
Quote from: The Cruentus on Apr 27, 2018, 06:53:03 PM
It is looking to be set up as the "Resurrection" of the franchise, its even the fourth film too.  :P

azamultic

azamultic

ELDERCLANLEADER ohh man, not having any meaning of word art in this movie is a little bit of the stretch  ;)  I do believe that Shane Black is a good artist, and he does what he does for his love for the movies and not straight up for the money  ;)

goose_3387

goose_3387

I get that they have to sell this not just to predator fans but mainstream too. It's in that sense Iv learnt already to accept it for what it is. But one thing is no doubt and certain ...it's a very brave or stupid move fox and black have pulled, depending on the outcome box office success wise. That ultimately will be how the film judged.

Dredd and Blade Runner 2049 both underperformed at the Box Office and I think both are brilliant. Both are easily in my top movie list, maybe even my top 10 (if that's a thing...).

I'd happily take a Predator movie that equals how I feel about Dredd and BR2049 over Box Office success.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: goose_3387 on Apr 27, 2018, 08:18:58 PM

Dredd and Blade Runner 2049 both underperformed at the Box Office and I think both are brilliant. Both are easily in my top movie list, maybe even my top 10 (if that's a thing...).

I'd happily take a Predator movie that equals how I feel about Dredd and BR2049 over Box Office success.
Great films indeed. But the DNA Splicing and offering a Predator "tribe" that is near invulnarable is not a smart move if you ask me.

The previous films offer plenty one could build upon, without just slapping new concepts to it for the sake of it.

goose_3387

goose_3387

Quote from: skull-splitter on Apr 27, 2018, 08:34:16 PM

Great films indeed. But the DNA Splicing and offering a Predator "tribe" that is near invulnarable is not a smart move if you ask me.

The previous films offer plenty one could build upon, without just slapping new concepts to it for the sake of it.

I didn't say that this Predator movie would be good. Whilst I'm still optimistic and hyped for it, it could still be absolute rubbish (I really hope it's not).

The synopsis suggests that they are going for the general audience, by that I mean that it could work as a sci-fi movie but the jury is still out as a Predator movie.

Original Predator

Original Predator

One aspect I like is Holbrook's "team" seemed to be "hunting" them.  Which was a cool part of Pred 2 and Peter Key's staff.  The time has come story-evolution wise for us to know the Preds arrive here to hunt and for us to be proactive about it.  So that could be cool.  Holbrook survives (seems like his team is whiped out ala Dutch) so that is a symbolic "ode".  Only this time we actually get to experience a character that has survived an encounter and follow his story (finally).  That part of this movie-at least has me intrigued.

I do wish the DNA-Pred was a rouge-solo Pred and the base of the story.  I never will accept or adapt to the idea of Preds and us in some sort of partnership no matter what the spin. 

black

black

I think this interview gives answers why they need "upgrade" in this movie.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKGhlSvivQQ 7:17

yautjapet

yautjapet

I don't want to leap to judgement before I've even seen the trailer, let alone the movie itself, but I'm having a hard time being optimistic given everything we've heard. The whole genetic meddling/upgrade concept has no appeal to me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Bigger and flashier isn't always better. A big part of what I love about the predators is their culture and lore and I'd really hate to lose it.

Also, I really hope the kid isn't a big part of the plot. I'm not a kid hater but usually the whole "precocious genius child" character irritates me to death.

Huggs

Huggs

Dredd and BR 2049 were both fantastic. But they were definitely mature, and stayed that way. Mixing gore with oodles of comedy and this kid with his magical toys is going to be a hard sell for them to make, in my case at least. At this point, it sounds like "the watch" mixed with E.T. I think when all is said and done, however good the film is right now, eliminating most all of the comedy and removing the kid from the script would have sent it further in the right direction. The bigger question is, will Tony Stark give the kid a mustang after the credits?

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: KillCrites on Apr 26, 2018, 04:32:13 PM
I'm fine with this. It's all about execution.
Really? Really? Lamest cop out ever since ever :v

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: The Cruentus on Apr 27, 2018, 07:48:31 PM
I already pointed that out  :laugh:
Quote from: The Cruentus on Apr 27, 2018, 06:53:03 PM
It is looking to be set up as the "Resurrection" of the franchise, its even the fourth film too.  :P

Made all the more ironic due to Shane dissing Alien Resurrection's special effects and the Alien storylines before shooting this film.  :laugh:

Maybe a little bit of humility is in order before taking on these franchises...

D88M

D88M

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 27, 2018, 11:10:18 PM

Dredd and BR 2049 were both fantastic. But they were definitely mature, and stayed that way. Mixing gore with oodles of comedy and this kid with his magical toys is going to be a hard sell for them to make, in my case at least. At this point, it sounds like "the watch" mixed with E.T. I think when all is said and done, however good the film is right now, eliminating most all of the comedy and removing the kid from the script would have sent it further in the right direction. The bigger question is, will Tony Stark give the kid a mustang after the credits?

BR 2049 is unique, it does nto stand comparision with other movies, is a work of art, it underperformed because people go to see stuff like Infinity War

The Predator movie sounds awful, i am even thinking of not seeing it on theaters

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: D88M on Apr 28, 2018, 03:43:10 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Apr 27, 2018, 11:10:18 PM

BR 2049 is unique, it does nto stand comparision with other movies, is a work of art, it underperformed because people go to see stuff like Infinity War

The Predator movie sounds awful, i am even thinking of not seeing it on theaters

Or maybe it was a pretentious, ostentatious attempt at art ? Despite having qualities (mostly visual thanks to Roger Deakins)...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed