Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 92,093 times)

Nightmare Asylum

I wouldn't mind seeing more than one Predator, actually. Maybe two hunting together could make for an interesting dynamic (as long as they don't get killed off immediately like the ones in Predators). We might even see one of them make it out alive by the end, which would be new.

Aspie

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 25, 2014, 01:24:23 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing more than one Predator, actually. Maybe two hunting together could make for an interesting dynamic (as long as they don't get killed off immediately like the ones in Predators). We might even see one of them make it out alive by the end, which would be new.

Predator: Concrete Jungle has that. Except for the hunting together part. One has to take out the other because he isn't abiding by the honor code.

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Aspie on Jun 25, 2014, 01:26:54 PM

Predator: Concrete Jungle has that. Except for the hunting together part. One has to take out the other because he isn't abiding by the honor code.

You (as the Predator) gotta take out 3 other Predators actually which have been twisted into super cyborg things at the command of Borgia Industries, which has stolen the technology you left behind in your reckless escape over a century ago and manipulated the predator technology, which is why after a century of being in exile on some remote planet some Predators pick you back up so that you may redeem yourself by taking down those responsible for manipulating the technology.

My only objection to making a Concrete Jungle movie is the direct references to Weyland-Yutani, and having two levels with aliens as enemies near the end. I let it slide in a game about Predator, but a movie? Noooo.

DoomRulz

Eh. Predator is a very simple concept. I don't want a bloated film.

Aspie

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jun 25, 2014, 01:36:23 PM

You (as the Predator) gotta take out 3 other Predators actually which have been twisted into super cyborg things at the command of Borgia Industries, which has stolen the technology you left behind in your reckless escape over a century ago and manipulated the predator technology, which is why after a century of being in exile on some remote planet some Predators pick you back up so that you may redeem yourself by taking down those responsible for manipulating the technology.

My only objection to making a Concrete Jungle movie is the direct references to Weyland-Yutani, and having two levels with aliens as enemies near the end. I let it slide in a game about Predator, but a movie? Noooo.

I'm sure they would take the Aliens and any references to them out  :P

But damn it sounds like a kewl way to go for a Predator movie.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ghostface on Jun 25, 2014, 12:49:48 PM
I'm with you. Arnie was perfect for Predator, but he was hardly a realistic commando.

None of his team really were. It was all typical 80's style fire-from-the-hip realism. But it worked, it worked really well for an action movie.

Would be interesting to see if they are going for a more "realistic" feel this time.

Nightmare Asylum

I really don't care for honor codes and whatnot (they hunt people for sport, there is no honor there :P ), but I wouldn't mind seeing a Pred take another one down if it fits the story. Predators gave us that, but it wasn't really that great a fight. A lot of thrashing around and then decapitation... followed by another decapitation a few minutes later. How original. :D

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 25, 2014, 01:37:52 PM

Eh. Predator is a very simple concept. I don't want a bloated film.

I don't really see that as bloated, myself. Two Preds going tag team (maybe at first the characters don't even realize that there are two of them) could allow them to set up some interesting traps and whatnot that we have never seen. There were multiple Preds in Predators, but they never really interacted with each other and worked together. Seeing them work almost as one could be interesting.

On the alternative, seeing them work against each other could also be interesting. Two Predators choosing the same game area and winding up in conflict with one another. It sounds a bit like the Berserker vs Classic situation in Predators, but that could definitely be refined and made better.

I dunno. Just spitballing here. Like I said yesterday, I'm just going to sit back and watch how this plays out, hope for the best. As long as its fun I'll be pretty happy. Oh, and let it have some great Predator suits. I loved the look of the super Predators in Predators, but the suits themselves were kind of lacking. Bring back the face articulation of the first two films.

Blacklabel

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 25, 2014, 01:22:32 PM
That's fine, considering Predators sucked. I just wanted a continuation of the Predator story, with the same concept of a lone Predator hunting a group of soldiers.

Ugh. We've already seen that film.

To hell with this "let's repeat the same basic setup" noise.  :P

Xenoscream

This is good news, hopefully they try and go in a different direction and avoid remaking the original, there really is no point doing that. It will be interesting to see if they make any changes to the Predators themselves.

I think I'll be looking forward to this more than Prometheus 2.

This is good news, hopefully they try and go in a different direction and avoid remaking the original, there really is no point doing that. It will be interesting to see if they make any changes to the Predators themselves.

I think I'll be looking forward to this more than Prometheus 2.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Aspie on Jun 25, 2014, 01:51:51 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jun 25, 2014, 01:36:23 PM

I'm sure they would take the Aliens and any references to them out  :P

But one of the characters important to the story is MOTHER (and also does the narration of the story), which is from Alien franchise as well. The "Predator" part of the title is kinda misleading with this game, sure you are the Predator, but there is so many ideas from Alien, even the human walkers resemble powers loaders, and there's an aircraft resembling colonial marine drop ships.

But anyway, ultimately it's too early to say if I'm interested or not in this movie, I need to see a lot more than an announcement, but seeing "Predator" and "Reboot" in the same sentence does make me cringe. I doubt it's going to be near the same as the first Predator as Shane Black was already in that story so I doubt he wants to be too "repetitive", and I highly doubt Concrete Jungle will become a movie thing, because the game has already told that story in the first place.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jun 25, 2014, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 25, 2014, 01:22:32 PM
That's fine, considering Predators sucked. I just wanted a continuation of the Predator story, with the same concept of a lone Predator hunting a group of soldiers.

Ugh. We've already seen that film.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Nightmare Asylum

Agreed. I don't want the film to get too big (Predator isn't an epic or anything of the like), but I also don't want the same movie redone. Keep it similar in style and tone to the first three, but also give it its own ideas to work with and its own identity.

Predator 2, ridiculous as it was, did that and wound up being a lot of fun (and cheesy as hell, which adds to why its so lovable in my opinion). Predators tried to play to even more new ideas, but wound up with its head stuck too far in the past. It retread on the original's ideas (and dialogue... and scenes... and characters) rather than more fully exploring the new ideas that it set on the table, which is a shame.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 25, 2014, 02:56:59 PMPredator 2, ridiculous as it was, did that and wound up being a lot of fun (and cheesy as hell, which adds to why its so lovable in my opinion).
Agreed. Even though it didn't necessarily work (and almost certainly could've been done better) I at least liked that the first sequel tried to do something different.

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 25, 2014, 02:56:59 PM

Agreed. I don't want the film to get too big (Predator isn't an epic or anything of the like), but I also don't want the same movie redone. Keep it similar in style and tone to the first three, but also give it its own ideas to work with and its own identity.

Predator 2, ridiculous as it was, did that and wound up being a lot of fun (and cheesy as hell, which adds to why its so lovable in my opinion). Predators tried to play to even more new ideas, but wound up with its head stuck too far in the past. It retread on the original's ideas (and dialogue... and scenes... and characters) rather than more fully exploring the new ideas that it set on the table, which is a shame.

Agreed. Predator 2 was at least fun though.

F**kin' birds....

DoomRulz

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 25, 2014, 02:56:59 PM

Following the formula wasn't what hurt Predator 2. As much fun as Predator 2 is, I have a hard time taking as seriously as the first film because the pacing sucks, some of the acting feels OTT, L.A. is portrayed in a very strange manner, Gary Busey, and so on.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed