Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 92,109 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 09:29:20 PM
Honestly, y'all should be happy. The dude who directed a big, billion dollar grossing Marvel movie, is taking the reigns of the Predator franchise. This isn't the Nightmare on Elm Street 5 dude. Or the Resident Evil dude. Or special fx guys.

You have no idea how happy this makes me, assuming this is a true reboot. Anything to get rid of the negative feelings which Rodriguez had left me with PREDATORS. I welcome the idea of this reboot.. I look forward to hearing some more news about this! This just completely made my day, and I want to know what Shane has planned for this!

Nightmare Asylum

Three pages in and we're already having a continuity debate. :D

I just want a fun, competent movie and good creature effects.

Lemonade

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 24, 2014, 09:34:59 PM
Three pages in and we're already having a continuity debate. :D

I just want a fun, competent movie and good creature effects.

I think we're going to get that, per Black's track record, and I think this movie is going to be huge. Probably the highest grossing Predator film as well.

Nightlord

Iron man 3 was shit. Predator could do with some big blockbuster like film to revive the franchise though so I'm hyped for now.

RakaiThwei

Here is an awesome piece by Silvestri.. I am so pumped for this!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXnAxydhZ8M

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

I read the news on facebook... and I came. Predator, Hawkings... erm I mean Shane Black... oh man the hype in me is strong.

Whatever route they take, honestly I'm just glad the franchise is not dead... and before all the hating starts, YES the franchise does need another reboot...

Predators was not too bad, average stuff, but way too short of what a real predator franchise deserves. I am not a fan of all the stuff shane black wrote and directed. However, he directed big movies, so perhaps he will bring the BIG to the Predator franchise. I wouldn't even mind if they went less horror and more action/thriller/Sci-Fi.... the first movie was such a Genre mash up, let this be the next one.

And no, I'm of the firm opinion that Dutch is not needed in this movie. Arnold Schwarzenegger is more like box office poison and I doubt his new terminator film will convince me otherwise, we'll see... but overall, a big NO to Arnie.

Give us a younger face like Dwayne Johnson or Jason Momoa... f**k it, make the lead a woman like Zoe Saldana... I don't care, just no Arnie

OpenMaw

I think it's a LITTLE premature to say this'll be the biggest. A writer means dick-all with regards to what budget the film will get. Sure, it might give the film's production a little more clout amongst the money-bag holders, but it does not mean for certain you're going to see a higher end budget. It's simply too soon to say anything with regards to where this film will fall. At this stage we don't even know what Black's direction for the story will be.

I hope Stan Winston Studios gets involved on this one.

Nightmare Asylum

I kind of hope it's a smaller movie, to be honest. :P

Lemonade

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 24, 2014, 09:42:45 PM

There are 5 other movies you can watch if that's what you'd like. Let the guys who want to see a true blockbuster Predator film have theirs

RakaiThwei

Put it on Earth... Set it in the DESERT... None of that Super Predator bullshit. Remember the core elements which made the original what it is now, and carry them over to this assumed reboot-- if this project will be a reboot.

Novak 1334

I agree, and I'd love to see it take a route to finding out what happened to Dutch, maybe even an Arnie cameo, if it's subtle and done right it could work

Lemonade

Quote from: Tangakkai on Jun 24, 2014, 09:39:40 PM
Predators was not too bad, average stuff, but way too short of what a real predator franchise deserves. I am not a fan of all the stuff shane black wrote and directed. However, he directed big movies, so perhaps he will bring the BIG to the Predator franchise. I wouldn't even mind if they went less horror and more action/thriller/Sci-Fi.... the first movie was such a Genre mash up, let this be the next one.

I've always wanted a Predator film without a lot of horror, and the emphasis on the "kills". We can't keep getting these $40 million dollar films. Must spend money to make money.

Tangakkai

Let's face it... Predators 3 had a budget of 40 million and made about 190 million... it was a success but not a big one at all. So I doubt the producers will give this new film more than 60 million in budget, they will play it rather save, so I wouldn't expect some huge Michael Bay XSplosions.

But if Shane keeps true to his writing style, it could be a fun and thrilling script, full of action beats making you forget to care if its blockbuster or not.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 09:44:30 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 24, 2014, 09:42:45 PM

There are 5 other movies you can watch if that's what you'd like. Let the guys who want to see a true blockbuster Predator film have theirs

That's all fine and good, I guess, but the bigger a studio-financed franchise movie like this gets the more muddied the creator's vision is likely to become, and I don't really think that's what a Predator film needs.

At their best, Predator films are fairly small action romps with some fun cheese, awesome creature suits, and memorable action, one-liners, and character interactions, not giant science fiction mega-blockbusters. That's why I think they're so loved, and Shane Black definitely had it in him to take those tropes, put his own spin on them, and make something new and exciting in the series.

But that's just me.

Spoonman101

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 24, 2014, 09:29:20 PM
Lol you read comic books, and asked me if I counted the novelization as canon. Well I intern for an Oscar-winning producer, and get to do script coverage and accept/reject scripts. I think that's better than reading comic books.
Here I am excited for this news and I come to see something like this...
With that attitude in this kind of place I wouldn't be surprised that you stayed an intern. Have some respect for the opinions that these people are entitled to.

I'm stoked, it's nice to see someone familiar with the franchise handling it.

Quote from: Ghostface on Jun 24, 2014, 09:08:54 PM
f**k yeah I'm in
Ahahahahana! I lol'd so hard when I saw this

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed