Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 843,681 times)

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 28, 2020, 07:48:52 PMGodzilla: Final Wars

An over the top, insane mash up of Godzilla, X-Men, The Matrix, Independence Day, and some Star Wars, all punctuated by a Keith Emerson score.
And an arguably decent remake of Destroy All Monsters.

Tremors: A Cold Day In Hell

Finally managed to catch up with the latest Tremors movie, since my 6 movie ateelbook finally arrived. It's OK. There's some good bits, like Burt Gummer being Burt Gummer, as always. There some odd looking scenes, and some good scenes. It's very mixed, but I still liked it.

Also impressively used lighting and digital effects to shoot sand for snow.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Stitch on Apr 29, 2020, 02:09:41 PM

Finally managed to catch up with the latest Tremors movie, since my 6 movie ateelbook finally arrived. It's OK. There's some good bits, like Burt Gummer being Burt Gummer, as always. There some odd looking scenes, and some good scenes. It's very mixed, but I still liked it.

I thought the 'snow' looked terrible. It was obvious in most outdoor shots that they were shooting in a warm desert, especially toward the end I remember.

My biggest problem with Tremors 5 & 6 is Burt Gummer. I don't think his character is written well at all. In the first three movies, he feels like he has a mind of his own and can hold a conversation. But his character is now oversimplified into a grouchy old man. It feels like the budget version of Michael Gross, like he'd return to the series for these newer sequels as long as he didn't actually have to do much real acting.

Also, get Jamie Kennedy the F out of this series.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Kennedy thankfully isn't coming back for the new one. But, the new one is still going to be directed by Don Michael Paul, who did 5 and 6, so I'm sure it is going to be awful.

I adore those first four Tremors movies. 5 and 6 though? :-X

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Yeah, send Jamie Kennedy back to the Mask sequels where he belongs... ;)

Huggs

Huggs

Shanghai Noon

"That's because they're not Injuns woman. They're Jews!"

The Thing (1982)

"I'll kill yeeew!"

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 29, 2020, 11:34:38 PM
The Thing (1982)

"I'll kill yeeew!"

In my top 3. IMO it's the best sci-fi horror out there only pipped by a certain Ridley Scott film.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Prez on Apr 30, 2020, 02:55:55 AM
The Thing (1982)

"I'll kill yeeew!"

In my top 3. IMO it's the best sci-fi horror out there only pipped by a certain Ridley Scott film.

Agreed, The Thing is a masterpiece. There's not one thing in the movie that bothers me and the commentary is one of the best of Carpenter and Russell together.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Apr 30, 2020, 03:29:44 AM
Quote from: Prez on Apr 30, 2020, 02:55:55 AM
The Thing (1982)

"I'll kill yeeew!"

Agreed, The Thing is a masterpiece. There's not one thing in the movie that bothers me and the commentary is one of the best of Carpenter and Russell together.

One of the few films where I can still watch it and find something new. It's the perfect `who is it or who dunnit' kind of film too and what I love the most is those questions never fully get answered either and it doesn't bother me one bit.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I especially love Russell's "I know I'm still human" speech.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Hudson on Apr 29, 2020, 02:14:05 PM
Quote from: Stitch on Apr 29, 2020, 02:09:41 PM

I thought the 'snow' looked terrible. It was obvious in most outdoor shots that they were shooting in a warm desert, especially toward the end I remember.

My biggest problem with Tremors 5 & 6 is Burt Gummer. I don't think his character is written well at all. In the first three movies, he feels like he has a mind of his own and can hold a conversation. But his character is now oversimplified into a grouchy old man. It feels like the budget version of Michael Gross, like he'd return to the series for these newer sequels as long as he didn't actually have to do much real acting.

Also, get Jamie Kennedy the F out of this series.

No bring him back......then have him eaten in the first 10 minutes

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 30, 2020, 10:27:09 AM
I especially love Russell's "I know I'm still human" speech.

I saw this film back in 1983 or 84 and despite seeing it countless times still to this day I can't exactly figure out where or when certain characters gets assimilated.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

:laugh: I play that game every time too.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 30, 2020, 12:15:16 PM

Baffling. The Carpenter effect.

Underwater

Despite finding Kristen Stewart's performance somewhat distracting I actually enjoyed this one. Visually the effects and sets were top notch. The action claustrophobic and the 'big bad' actually very cool. A little more exposition would've been nice but this one grabs you by the throat within minutes of starting.

The Alien riffs are non too subtle. We've got a Ripley, Dallas, Lambert and Hudson all in here.

I kept thinking an Alien film in this setting would be ace - we sought of got a bit of it in the Fast Track to Heaven graphic novel.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

We all play it  :laugh: :laugh:

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Prez on Apr 30, 2020, 01:02:02 PM

Baffling. The Carpenter effect.

Underwater

Despite finding Kristen Stewart's performance somewhat distracting I actually enjoyed this one. Visually the effects and sets were top notch. The action claustrophobic and the 'big bad' actually very cool. A little more exposition would've been nice but this one grabs you by the throat within minutes of starting.

The Alien riffs are non too subtle. We've got a Ripley, Dallas, Lambert and Hudson all in here.

I kept thinking an Alien film in this setting would be ace - we sought of got a bit of it in the Fast Track to Heaven graphic novel.

I gotta say that out of most the movies I've seen this year, Underwater was one of the best and most surprising. I actually paused the movie A few times to get closer looks at some details and I haven't done that in some time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed