Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 843,577 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I haven't seen that in years. Must give it a rewatch sometime soon.

Dreadlock Holiday

Dreadlock Holiday

Just seen A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
well worth a watch if you like vampire movies.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Batman Begins - the best of the Nolan Batmans, IMO
Sean Bean on Waterloo - good documentary on the Battle of Waterloo narrated by Sean Bean

Vertigo

Vertigo

Kong: Skull Island

Fun adventure, a very well-directed movie with great filming style, effective pacing and a sense of humour.

Fantastic creature design, Guillermo Del Toro-level. It's pretty much all CGI, but very meaty and convincing. A lot of effects companies today retain physicists as consultants, and it feels like they'd supervised every frame of the bigger fight sequences. Another good idea was setting the film in the 1970s, as the continual interaction with very analog technology such as film cameras and bulky radios gives the film a sense of physicality, which in turn makes the CG feel more believable. It's hard to describe, but it works. Sam Jackson gets a lot to sink his teeth into with his role, and you get the impression he enjoyed it - it's also very hard to believe he's near 70! Most of the characters aren't given particular depth, but as with Godzilla, you do wind up rooting for the titular critter.

Speaking of which, Skull Island feels about as close to Godzilla as it does to the earlier King Kong films. I was very happy to find it's not anywhere vaguely close to yet another Kong remake, and mainly just takes the idea of a titanic ape on a primordial island. It's also infinitely more enjoyable than the 2014 Godzilla, but it does feel that there's a shared creative ethos. Kong himself has a personality that's more in line with the big lizard's human-neutral king-of-monsters than the lonely beast hopelessly in love with a tiny blonde woman that we've seen since the 1930s.

Only downsides for me, and they're minor: the audio mix in the second half gave me a bit of a headache (same goes for Godzilla actually), and some of the creatures (Kong in particular) roar too goddamn much. I'm not sure where filmmakers got the idea that monsters and animals have to roar whenever they have a spare moment, but it needs to stop. Visit a wildlife park, guys.

But yeah, solid four stars. And that's despite coming in with a negative bias, as I'm not a fan of the previous Kong films (or of 2014's Godzilla), and after the numerous remakes and sequels, didn't think we needed yet another giant gorilla film. But the trailer looked good, and it's very much representative of the film. Definitely worth a cinema trip.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939)

A pretty good, well made film on the whole, with Rathbone and Zucco making for a great Holmes and Moriarty respectively. It's a shame that the plot relies on Holmes being an easily distracted moron, though.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Morning Glory
A good Newsroom Dramedy starring Rachael McAdams and Harrison Ford, although it would have been better if Ford didnt speak in a monotone throughout lol

The Room
It took awhile for the film to grab me, but once it did, it didnt let go. I see why Brie Larson got the Oscar that year. The kid should have got one as well to be honest

Time Cop
Some good old fashioned JCVD ass kicking

Really enjoyed this, though some characters were wasted and others were introduced to never be seen again lol. Hiddleston was miscast, but some of the soldiers were nicely portrayed. Does feel like a few scenes were missing mind

Necronomicon: The Book of the Dead
A fantastic anthology film, loosely based on Lovecraft stories, with Jeffrey Coombs playing Lovecraft (They actually made him look like Bruce Campbell lol)

The Equaliser
A lot better than i was expecting, but they could so easily have treated this as a sequel or prequel to Man on Fire, the way Denzel went about things lol

KillCrites

KillCrites

Gremlins 2, I think it's much better than the first film personally.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Superman III - way too silly, but I like the the scenes with evil Superman
Superman Returns - found this dull and the effects looked too green screen

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Commando
Gotta love Arnie's 80's action flicks. Shame we never got the sequel they planned. Also I'd completely forgotten this had a Bill Paxton cameo

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Mar 14, 2017, 12:10:36 PM
Commando
Gotta love Arnie's 80's action flicks. Shame we never got the sequel they planned. Also I'd completely forgotten this had a Bill Paxton cameo

I haven't read it myself, yet...

Praetorian Guard

Praetorian Guard

Assassin's Creed for the second time, last night.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Wolfman (2010)

Honestly not a bad movie, but Hopkins could have stood to tone it down more than a tad, and Hugo Weaving seems only slightly less bored than he was in Transformers. That and the sequel hook was shit.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 14, 2017, 02:19:40 PM
Commando

Did they actually complete a script for it?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Mar 15, 2017, 11:42:03 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 14, 2017, 02:19:40 PM
Commando

Did they actually complete a script for it?

Yep, Frank Darabont contributed.

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

While by no means great I found it to be a decent enough popcorn film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed