Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 76,652 times)

judge death

Damn shit, this is terrible news for what is to come for alien fans from disney, giving the license to marvel?! With their new direction that is more political correct and wokeness ideas etc they have lost a lot of old time fans, especielly this new: new warriors comics they are releasing.... and retconning old charachters stories so they arent abusive and offending of todays readers....

Can see this in most new marvel releases and the movies too.
Local trouble is right: we just have to look at other franchises they bought and marvel is doign comics on or after they switched star wars from dark horse back to marvel: they cancel all the previous comics and label them legends or ignore them and restart from blank slate.

star wars comics for the most part is alright but they are pretty much neutral and safe and not offensive or gore in any way and we can just look at how much disney f**ked up star wars lore to guess what they will do to the alien franchise.

Marvel has said that they wont do dark themes but stick to their new modern style so dark alien stories like: aliens labyrinth where rape and killing and impregnation etc is higely not something marvel will ever dwelve into.

In worst case they will do a lot of aliens vs hulk, iron man etc and start mixing them into their disney universe and have xenos in the new movies. In best scenario: rewrite the lore and label anything before disney as legends story and milk the franchise like star wars, cant find many old star wars fans that like the new comics or the new movies.

Dark horse was perfect for aliens and predator, should given the right to avatar comics as they are doing some seriously dark and gory comics, just look at uber :D

Marvel might do some light dark stuff and gore like that hulk scenes but its pretty tame to what we´ve seen in aliens comics and as I said I hiughly doubt they will show children get chestbursted or people made to do the xenos bidding by raping and killing others, acid melting peoples faces off and these dark themes of being used, breeding, monsters in the dark and aliens as a disease/cancer. Most likely marvel will do aliens like comics: safe for the general audience and safe and lots of space marines stuff to please aliens fans.

this is a dark day for us old timers who enjoyed dark horse :/
And I swear, if disney claims they are first with making female hero or doing something woke and new that we havent seen before in aliens franchise or aliens vs guardians of the galaxy then Im off, will see that as violating my beloved franchise.

Xiggz456

Aliens and Predators have already faced off against all the big DC characters so I'm not sure why them vs Marvel characters is any different. I still think they'll be released on the MAX imprint (been saying that for two and a half years) to really allow for the gore.

judge death

Although I disagree with MR H on a lot but I gotta agree with him on this and based on what disney done to star wars and most franchises and the stuff marvel is releasing the last 5 years, I think he is spot on, no R rating, predator hunting androids hell have iron man looking head on the front cover xD and in the marvel press release they only mention the movies and how great they are but nowhere a mention to the comics of the old and how great they were too, in many ways Dark horse kept alien franchise alive but marvel only say: it will be great to have them in our comics, clearly showing they wont respect the old comics:

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 02, 2020, 03:38:53 PM
I should grab the hardcover of Dead Orbit before that goes out of print...

Hurry before eBay shuts down!   ;)

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 02, 2020, 05:41:02 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 02, 2020, 05:36:38 PM
Also of note:

QuoteDetails on upcoming ALIEN and PREDATOR comic book titles, collections, reprints, and creative teams will be shared at a later date.

Are they going to be reprinting Dark Horse's stuff? Have they done that with their old Star Wars titles?

Yup, they reprint a lot of old Star Wars stuff under the "Legends" banner, with Marvel logos in place of the old Dark Horse ones.

To be fair, Dark Horse also reprinted Marvel material.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 03, 2020, 06:57:05 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 02, 2020, 03:38:53 PM
I should grab the hardcover of Dead Orbit before that goes out of print...

Hurry before eBay shuts down!   ;)

Not to worry, I ordered a copy on Amazon last night. :D

I'm sure it will eventually cycle back around in print in Marvel's "Epic Collection," but I'd imagine that won't be the oversize edition or have the extra backup content, so this one will be nice on the shelf.

If Marvel does eventually do Alien Epic Collection releases, I think I might actually grab them. I have a bunch of old Dark Horse issues, but I never did get the complete Omnibus releases so this would probably be the best way for me to comprehensively get everything.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Russ840 on Jul 02, 2020, 05:48:12 PM
Is no one going to comment on how kick ass David Finch pencils both creatures.

The Alien was indeed awesome!

EJA

Back in the 90s, DH did the Predators Attack Comics Greatest World crossover across a number of its own superhero titles such as Ghost and X. Those stories were canon to the universe they took place in. Could Marvel do something similar, I find myself wondering?

Nightmare Asylum

They did throw "Marvel Universe" around in the press release, so anything is possible.

Gotta say, crossover stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest (even AVP) so I'm not at all looking forward to any of that, but some people are, so for them I hope it is good.

For myself, I'll most likely be sticking with the solo Alien material.

EJA

We don't even know if they are crossing over with Marvel characters yet. Those drawings could just be for publicity.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: EJA on Jul 03, 2020, 08:16:26 PM
We don't even know if they are crossing over with Marvel characters yet. Those drawings could just be for publicity.

The Predator art absolutely is just a fun teaser thing. I was referring more to this quote from the press release:

QuoteAlien and Predator are the two of the most identifiable, iconic characters of all time, and I love them for that. But mostly, it's being fortunate enough to be a kid when they were new. I've seen every movie they've ever been in, and I cannot wait to see them wreaking havoc in the Marvel Universe. I drew my pictures of them with a massive smile on my face.

I'm inclined to belive that that just means as a licensed Marvel product but it could theoretically also mean some crossover stuff down the line.

EJA

EJA

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 03, 2020, 08:21:00 PM

The Predator art absolutely is just a fun teaser thing. I was referring more to this quote from the press release:

QuoteAlien and Predator are the two of the most identifiable, iconic characters of all time, and I love them for that. But mostly, it's being fortunate enough to be a kid when they were new. I've seen every movie they've ever been in, and I cannot wait to see them wreaking havoc in the Marvel Universe. I drew my pictures of them with a massive smile on my face.

I'm inclined to belive that that just means as a licensed Marvel product but it could theoretically also mean some crossover stuff down the line.

That's what I'm thinking too. I mean, Marvel publishes Star Wars comics, but they haven't tried to integrate that into their main superhero line.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: EJA on Jul 03, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

That's what I'm thinking too. I mean, Marvel publishes Star Wars comics, but they haven't tried to integrate that into their main superhero line.

Alien/Predator does have a history of crossovers even at Dark Horse though. Not "in continuity" of course, just things done for fun, but I know they did crossovers with various DC characters, Judge Dredd, Vampirella, Archie, etc. If we do ever see Predator vs Iron Man or what have you, I'm sure it will be in that vein.

Voodoo Magic

Predator vs Kraven the Hunter seems fitting.

EJA

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 03, 2020, 08:36:55 PM
Quote from: EJA on Jul 03, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Alien/Predator does have a history of crossovers even at Dark Horse though. Not "in continuity" of course, just things done for fun, but I know they did crossovers with various DC characters, Judge Dredd, Vampirella, Archie, etc. If we do ever see Predator vs Iron Man or what have you, I'm sure it will be in that vein.

And DH's Comics Greatest World. Interestingly, though they clearly were not canon for the main Alien/Predator universe, they were totally in-continuity to the universe those comics took place in.

426Buddy

Predator vs Punisher would be cool.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed