Dan Trachtenberg To Direct New Standalone ‘Predator’ Movie ‘Badlands’ As 20th Ce

Started by MudButt, Feb 09, 2024, 06:03:51 PM

Author
Dan Trachtenberg To Direct New Standalone ‘Predator’ Movie ‘Badlands’ As 20th Ce (Read 25,283 times)

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Feb 09, 2024, 07:23:01 PMDamn, son!!

You even got your contacts/sources with the Predator side of the franchise.

I have eyes and ears everywhere.  8)
But for real! I hope they do a theatrical release too. I like to think that they'd learned a huge lesson with watching PREY do so well and it not bringing in ticket sales.

Immortan Jonesy

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Feb 09, 2024, 07:29:05 PMBut for real! I hope they do a theatrical release too. I like to think that they'd learned a huge lesson with watching PREY do so well and it not bringing in ticket sales.

Shifting Alien: Romulus from Hulu to theatrical definitely felt like them acknowledging that mistake and directly responding to Prey's success, so here's hoping that continues into the future indeed.

Kailem

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 09, 2024, 07:29:44 PM
Quote from: Kailem on Feb 09, 2024, 07:12:31 PMhttps://media1.tenor.com/m/8PJYOgCNVzgAAAAd/i-want-you-to-get-the-word-out-there-that-we-back-up-the-wire.gif

Idris Elba in the crabatorverse^

I'd be down for Idris vs Predator.

And yeah, with them changing Romulus from a streaming release to theatrical after Prey hit so big and everyone said that's what they should have done in the first place, I'd be shocked if these weren't also planned for the big screen this time too.

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2024, 07:31:01 PMShifting Alien: Romulus from Hulu to theatrical definitely felt like them acknowledging that mistake and directly responding to Prey's success, so here's hoping that continues into the future indeed.

Yep. And they seem to be learning and paying attention to everything. They really want these franchises to be the tentpoles they used to be, and they are putting the time and care into making sure they do so. I love it. Just gotta pull it off though. It could look great behind the scenes, but the final product has to deliver. I have faith it will.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Feb 09, 2024, 07:33:24 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2024, 07:31:01 PMShifting Alien: Romulus from Hulu to theatrical definitely felt like them acknowledging that mistake and directly responding to Prey's success, so here's hoping that continues into the future indeed.

Yep. And they seem to be learning and paying attention to everything. They really want these franchises to be the tentpoles they used to be, and they are putting the time and care into making sure they do so. I love it. Just gotta pull it off though. It could look great behind the scenes, but the final product has to deliver. I have faith it will.

Imagine telling someone that Disney could potentially revive Alien and Predator from obscurity.

I would have that person locked in an asylum.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Feb 09, 2024, 07:36:53 PMImagine telling someone that Disney could potentially revive Alien and Predator from obscurity.

Well, this does seem to be the perpetual cycle.

From "Disney bought Marvel? That'll never work!" to "I love the MCU, it's the biggest thing on the planet!" to "The MCU sucks now, Disney ruined it."

From "Disney bought Star Wars? That's terrible!" to "The Force Awakens saved Star Wars from those awful prequels!" to "Bring back George Lucas, Disney ruined Star Wars!"

It all comes in waves, over and over and over again.

MudButt

If there's one thing you can count on Disney for it's understanding the value of IP.

Mike’s Monsters

Them going to the future is f**king awesome, and it shows they aren't trying to lean in too heavily on the past thing. It may have been great for PREY, but if we only got movies set in the past going forward, I think it would get old fast.

Watch this be a set up and test for a potential AvP. Would be wild.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Feb 09, 2024, 07:48:33 PMThem going to the future is f**king awesome, and it shows they aren't trying to lean in too heavily on the past thing. It may have been great for PREY, but if we only got movies set in the past going forward, I think it would get old fast.

Watch this be a set up and test for a potential AvP. Would be wild.

I still think that they should have done one or two more movies in the past (Assassin's Creed style) and then try their luck with their future, since that seemed to be the consensus of the fandom and general audience.

Maybe they are being ambitious way too soon, but then again, the same could be said when Prey was made, but Dan has a good track record, so might as well trust in him.

Some Old Dude

So excited for both of these. Female lead and being set in the future sounds really good, I'd love a 10 Cloverfield Lane reunion with Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Mr.Turok

So guess the fan theory of having a Prey series and a Predator series of past and present/future films are true after all! We are so back.  :'(  Like everyone back in 2018 had no idea that things really are going to get better after all.

At first I thought Badlands was going to be a 19th century Wild West setting but turns out its not even close. Shame in a way, would be cool to see the whole frontier being challenged by a Predator. How far into the future will it be and I wonder if it will touch on old elements like OWLF. One can hope, seeing how Dan said he gotten inspiration from PHG when animating Feral's tree predkour.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Feb 09, 2024, 07:57:32 PMSo guess the fan theory of having a Prey series and a Predator series of past and present/future films are true after all! We are so back.  :'(  Like everyone back in 2018 had no idea that things really are going to get better after all.

At first I thought Badlands was going to be a 19th century Wild West setting but turns out its not even close. Shame in a way, would be cool to see the whole frontier being challenged by a Predator. How far into the future will it be and I wonder if it will touch on old elements like OWLF. One can hope, seeing how Dan said he gotten inspiration from PHG when animating Feral's tree predkour.

Past, future, whatever. All are totally viable, in my book. I just want to see different settings/genres explored. For me, the whole appeal of Predator as an ongoing franchise is taking a movie genre and dropping a Predator into it. Predator, Predator 2, and Prey got this, and that's exactly what I'm looking forward to now with Badlands.

Kailem

Set in the future.

Female lead.

Badlands.

There's really only one thing this should be:

Predator vs The Widow. Come on Dan, make it happen!

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2024, 07:42:40 PM
Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Feb 09, 2024, 07:36:53 PMImagine telling someone that Disney could potentially revive Alien and Predator from obscurity.

Well, this does seem to be the perpetual cycle.

From "Disney bought Marvel? That'll never work!" to "I love the MCU, it's the biggest thing on the planet!" to "The MCU sucks now, Disney ruined it."

From "Disney bought Star Wars? That's terrible!" to "The Force Awakens saved Star Wars from those awful prequels!" to "Bring back George Lucas, Disney ruined Star Wars!"

It all comes in waves, over and over and over again.
After how hard 2018 failed, I hope the studio can manage consistent quality and avoid another sin like that. Would hate to see the "Predator sucks now, Disney ruined it" stage of things.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed